Community Forum

Duplicate Charge for Bill That Was Paid!

New Poster

Duplicate Charge for Bill That Was Paid!

this morning i was checking my back account when i noticed comcast was charging me my monthly bill amount...again. the amount is sitting as a hold that's set to be withdrawn tomorrow. i paid this balance on 03/20/2019 already, this second charge is a duplicate. i called my bank and they verified it - comcast sent a charge to my checking account on 03/23/2018 (saturday) at 12:00 a.m. i have a merchant reference number, too. i called comcast to have this charge removed/stopped but i was just handed around from department to department. they finally told me to fax them my bank and billing statements to 865.673.7605, i told them i need someone to just cancel the charge - that's it. they cycled me back to customer service from billing. can someone please help? the call in customer service was absolutely awful.

Expert

Re: Duplicate Charge for Bill That Was Paid!

@mmmiji wrote:

this morning i was checking my back account when i noticed comcast was charging me my monthly bill amount...again. the amount is sitting as a hold that's set to be withdrawn tomorrow. i paid this balance on 03/20/2019 already, this second charge is a duplicate. i called my bank and they verified it - comcast sent a charge to my checking account on 03/23/2018 (saturday) at 12:00 a.m. i have a merchant reference number, too. i called comcast to have this charge removed/stopped but i was just handed around from department to department. they finally told me to fax them my bank and billing statements to 865.673.7605, i told them i need someone to just cancel the charge - that's it. they cycled me back to customer service from billing. can someone please help? the call in customer service was absolutely awful.

You need to get with your bank to cancel that payment.

The payment that you made on the 20th, has it already cleared your bank?  On your online banking account does this "second" payment show as pending?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

<< The payment that you made on the 20th, has it already cleared your bank? >>

yes, it cleared on 03/21/2018 and i have a zero balance in my account.

<< On your online banking account does this "second" payment show as pending? >>

yes, it's a hold scheduled to be withdrawn tomorrow - the money has already been "locked". the request was made on saturday at midnight and it normally takes 2 business days for the withdrawals to process.

New Poster

i forgot to add: 

my bank can't cancel the payment because i paid with my debit card - this was considered a permissive debit transaction. my only other alternative would be to shut down my entire checking account.

New Poster

update:

my bank can't cancel this transcation, because without a formal written notice from the merchant (comcast) that this was done in error they have to treat this duplicate payment as legitimate because it was a debit. they told me there realy isn't any way for them to legally interfere at this point short of me shutting down my checking under "fraudulent charges".

comcast have done nothing but redirect me back to my bank. i spoke to someone who was fairly nice who said there really is no recourse for me other than her opening a ticket. a human being should be working to resolve it within the expediate time of....8 to 10 business days 

Highlighted
Expert

@mmmiji 

Your issue has been escalated to the Comcast Team available to the Forums. A member of that team will reply to your post as quickly as they are able, so check back often.

In the meantime, please do not send a PM to an Official Employee unless requested because it is against Forum Guidelines.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, @mmmiji! Thank you for posting in our community. I can check your account and see what happened with the payments. Please send me a private message and include your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.