Community Forum

Data Usage?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Usage?

Please do let us know if you figure out a solution. I will try using a google WiFi device to make sure about the source of problem. Google Wifi exactly shows how much data you use and which devices using how much. That is exactly what we need to know now.

New Poster

I've never went over 95 gigs and there saying I went over 1024 gigs this month. That's over 10 times higher. Ha. Another comcast scam. Here we go!
Frequent Visitor

My average has been about 450GBs per month. This month comcast shows almost 1200GBs.

So I have bought a google wifi to measure it myself.

Guess what: Comcast meeter counting it almost three times higher!

New Poster

Comcast has some sort of catch 22 scam going.

They will not tell you the basis for the usage determination. You cannot tell what streaming service generates the data usage to confirm whether or not their figure is accurate. They refer you to their security department or customer service and they have no clue. They are running some type of play the generates false data usage figures. Thousands of people have complained.

Tiime for a Class Action.

New Poster

incredible scam. Needs a big lawsuit.

Frequent Visitor

<Edited>. They think they will get away with this, hence everyone’s sept data usage spike. The local new is soon picking this up.
No help from customer service or data dept. absolutely abhorrent what they are doing.
My average usage is 200-300. Sept 1074!!!! No answers, no help. Just a dirty dirty way to get more money from loyal customers who spend hundreds with them already

Frequent Visitor

I will try again with customer service tomorrow and then on to the local office. My Google mesh router records all traffic by IP & MAC address and it shows 160GB download and 8GB upload over the last 30 days where Comcast's bar chart shows 1250GB for the month of September. Since my cable modem / gateway  is in Bridge mode and the wifi is disabled the only way to access the internet is through the Google router unless you creep up to my 2nd floor window and plug a cable into the modem! Maybe Comcast is charging us for traffic on our local lan? I have not been able to locate any transmission logs in the gateway/browser software.

Frequent Visitor

From Xfinity’s own website -A terabyte is a massive amount of data. What can you do with a terabyte each month?
Stream between 600 and 700 hours of HD video
Play online games for more than 12,000 hours
Stream more than 15,000 hours of music
Upload or download more than 60,000 hi-res photos.
Seriously Xfinity, this a a terabyte , verbatim from your website. This is what you are telling everyone they used this month??? Really ?? Fix this before you embarrass yourself further. <Edited>
BTW Xfinity, if you stream 700 hrs a month of HD video, never mind the photos, music etc, you are watching practically 24 hrs a day every single day for the entire month.
That’s what everyone is doing I guess according to Xfinity . I can’t wait until this makes the news.
Xfinity release an official comment. Stop this now.

Regular Visitor

Wow, I am having the same issue that many others are. Last 12 months my usage was around 300 GB/month, never over 375. This month? Over 1100 with no change in usage or devices!!!! Called Comcast today and got a lecture about how much data is used by streaming services (which we don’t use) and video game systems (we don’t have any).
Frequent Visitor

I see everybody having the same issue here. Our data usage has been around 450GB regularly

but this month we reduced it by having fewer devices connected because our daughter went to

college, we are back to work and school. However, Comcast  almost TRIPLED our data usage to roughly 1200GBs for September. I have called Comcast 6 times already. So far nothing.

I have started using a google wifi to acurately measure our data usage. Google wifi showed 5.5 GBs usage for 10 hours while Comcast data meter recorded 15GBs at the same time. They must be doing this so that we buy their unlimited plan and start paying additional $50 per month after two months. I cannot think of any other way. 

New Poster

Ken,

We asked for unlimited data back in October 2018- had automatic payment as well- noticed a few months ago we never had the unlimited data applied- as well as 3.50 a month for unreturned equipmnt  that doesnt pertain to us- the manager at the Oakbrook, IL store verified in the database that we requested this unlimited data- also promised a refund- we had 870$ in data overages- and we received a 120$ credit- can someone look into this?  we keep getting jerked around on the phone

Regular Visitor

The same occurred to me the past 3 days. I have checked and all devices ever connected were mine. Today I paused all devices and it continues to show usage creaping up, to 33 GB on the first day of the month. Comcast is stealing.

Frequent Visitor

It’s 7:57pm EST. Got home from work at 530pm. Meter shows 43GB’s!!!!!!!!!! Could my German Shepherd have downloaded 8000 songs or web browsed for 500hrs or watched 80hrs of streaming HD movies???
What on earth is going on Xfinity??
This is horrible, putting me through this. I have called you 6 times since Sunday and have got no answers. Just called again , gave up , on hold for 28mins! Why are you doing this to loyal clients Xfinity? Why?
Regular Visitor

The amazing thing is their CSA dept does not admit anything or even agrees to investigate if there is a problem on their end. The amazing thing is they pretend they do not know there are so many customers complaining, and they try to tell you it is your individual problem. Even more amazing is they can get away with it. Somebody should start a class action suit.

Regular Visitor

My regular monthly usage is 100-150 GB over March to August, and Sept was more than 1,024 GB. I have called customer service and CSA many times the past 3 days. Even the customer service rep said "This is unbelievable! There is no way based on your usage pattern!" but the CSA department lady tried to tell me maybe I have a virus. They pretend they did not know the thousands of complaints. What thieves!

Regular Visitor

Comcast is flat out lying about usage. It’s 8:28 pm on Oct 1 and:
-Everyone in our house was at school or work all day. Since we got home, we’ve only used our phones a bit and my daughter did homework on her iPad.
-I checked and there were no other/outside devices connected.
And yet, Comcast is showing 45GB used at 8:28 pm. When before Sept, we’d NEVER used over 375.
Frequent Visitor

9:34EST. Wife watching her soaps on DVR. No streaming on any devices. We are up to 52GB’s!!!!!!
Disgusting Xfinity.
Frequent Visitor

Modem ripped out of the wall at 7:20am. Read 67Gbs.
In my car now ,meter reads 74GBs!!!
Appointment at Xfinity store 4pm with modem in hand. Can’t wait to see the reading then and what these <Edited> have to say. Think I’ll get compensation for all this disruption and anguish???? Doubt it

Regular Visitor

Let us know what they say...curious to hear the outcome.
Regular Contributor

Keep in mind that Xfinity says on their meter "Data used in the last 24 hours may not be displayed", so if you turn your modem off for a few hours, and the number went up, then that's what they're going to tell you.  Now if you turn it off for more than 24 hours, then check the meter for a baseline of data usage, then leave it off again for more than another 24 hours, and it still kept going up, then that would be much more interesting!

Regular Visitor

I too have fallen into the data game. 2 months ago I had used 678 gigs of data. Cut back to having only internet and bam- July & Aug got notices about closing in on our 1024 amounts yet I used 978 and 979 data amounts. In Sept it was back to 678. Funny thing is we never did anything different than before. It’s like Comcast wanted me to buy into paying extra so I was covered if I went over...
Frequent Visitor

Well my visit to a physical Comcast store was a complete and utter waste of time. They have no tech guys, just salespeople. They had no idea what I was talking about, never heard of this problem before , I was the very first person to bring this to their attention, and worst of all had no access to see my data usage. I had to show them on my iPhone!! Unbelievable. Felt I was in the twilight zone. So hard to remain calm.
Explanation they could come up with was someone was using my service?? Change password etc. Triple our average data usage in September and 73 GB Oct 1st . No answers, just more frustration, anger. I’m looking for another provider . Getting nowhere with Comcast and I will not <Edited> pay their $50 Overage plan. Not happening. 5 yrs with Comcast! It ends soon.

Frequent Visitor

Replaced modem last night when I got home. Guess what!!! Reading is less than 1GB!!
Frequent Visitor

I was ready to go out and get a new modem after the last post by Hammer85. On a whim I went to Xfinity and checked my usage. It was at 2GB for the current month and yesterday (10/2) it was showing around 20GB? Not sure what is happening here. I'm just going to monitor it and wait...

Regular Visitor

I think they recognized the problem and are reducing the numbers manually at this time. They still need to find the real solution.
Frequent Visitor

I have been sadly following all of the above complaints. I am going thru the same fabricated issue by COMCAST. It has been 13 days since I got the first notice from COMCAST saying that I went over 90% of the data limit. Since then, I have been calling COMCAST. Just 5 minutes ago, I talked to a CSA agent from COMCAST. Like many of you experienced, those guys are truly clueless or they just act like they are clueless as if this never happened. In September. COMCAST tripled our data usage.

In September we changed passwords and got a brand new google wifi router. We moved all devices to google wifi. In 10 hours, google wifi showed 5.5 GB usage while COMCAST meter showed 15 GB.

I called and told COMCAST about this. They pretend they don't hear what I say. This last CSA agent told me that COMCAST actually get the meter usage info from a third party, so he says they have no control over it. So they cannot know whether it is correct or not.   Like many of you noticed, COMCAST usage meter is back to normal. Last three days it has been counting just fine. But I do not accept the false recording of COMCAST in September. We did not use all that tripled data.

I want COMCAST to clean its mess.

Suggestions for action

FILE A COMPLAINT TO BBB, FTC, THE OFFICE OF ATTORNEY GENERAL OF YOUR STATE, AND UTILITIES BOARD AND LOCAL CITY etc. If COMCAST does not pick up its mess, I will surely take time to file complaints. If many of you do the same,  I am sure officials will listen to us!

Regular Visitor

I have an update that’s similar to what a couple other people had: as of noon on Oct 2, website showed we’d used 82GB since the beginning of the month. Then when I checked later yesterday afternoon, it had reverted to 1GB. Bizarre. As of tonight (Oct 3), usage seems to be calculating normally, as we’re at 10GB now. I’ll keep checking.
Regular Visitor

I think they reset Oct to zero because of all the complaints. Strangely now the count seems to be normal. They need to give everyone credit for September and clean up their act.
Frequent Visitor

Yes, reset happens on the first day of the month. It was a ROYAL mess up by COMCAST in September. However, if you all read the older messages people have been reporting similar spikes on their data usage for the last two years. So this is not a new issue and COMCAST is well aware of it. 

Regular Visitor

I meant that reset on Oct 2. They reported my September usage at 1,034 GB (normally 100-150 GB in all months). I paused all my devices on Oct 1 and the count continuously crept up, to 74 GB without using. I called again to complain and on Oct 2 evening all of a sudden the count became zero, and it has been going up slowly.
Frequent Visitor

I got a $35 credit for my inconvenience and stress over this.
Called cancellation line.
I wanted something for this stressful last 3-4 days.
<Edited>. Anything!

Frequent Visitor

Are they going to REMOVE their incorrect reporting on your records? I really don't care about their pitty credits. I am really sick of it. $35.00 will not solve their mess

If they make your data go over 1TB one more time, you will start paying $10 per 50GB.

So they should give you $35.00 plus remove their mess on your records.

I will try my chance.

Frequent Visitor

They are removing my posts now!!!!
Frequent Visitor

Yes, they will probably remove our posts AND block us to write here. I would expect it from COMCAST.

Expert

@Hammer85 wrote:
They are removing my posts now!!!!

The reason your post was removed was because you circumvented the language filters in violation of the Forum Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Can I say it in Irish? What you did to me and hundreds if not thousands of others was <Edited>!
$35 credit. That’s <Edited> too!

New Poster

its the worst customer service ive ever encountered- no one knows anything - just get jerked around non stop- wish there was a decent competitior out there-

Frequent Visitor

Great news everybody!

Today I got a call from Comcast corporate office saying that they had a data usage meter problem in August - September. I am so glad to hear that they have figured out the problem and it was not our fault. I now hope that they will remove the misreporting (data) in September, so that we don't lose our free courtesy month.

In the meantime, I have also started using the free Norton security by Comcast and it works great.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for sharing the good news. Comcast sent a technician to my house. He said it was definitely their problem. He updated/replaced some connectors and replaced the modem just in case. He took pictures of the 6 months of data usage pattern to show his boss. I still haven't got the September exceedance back because the Customer service rep I talked on the phone still had no clue what I was talking about. Sigh.
But I am glad comcast is getting it.
Frequent Visitor

I am glad to hear that Comcast has found the problem and they are trying the resolve it.