Community Forum

Data Usage?

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Usage?

Hello,

I have an unlimited internet plan through Xfinity (keyword "unlimited.") I have no phone or cable access. But, I just received a voicemail (through my cellphone) that said I went over my data usage plan for a terabyte a month. This cannot be right because I have an unlimited plan. Also I used to pay $60/month, now they want to charge me $20/month extra for going over my supposed data usage plan. I don't have and never signed up for that. I'm furious. I cannot afford $80/month because I have my bills specifically setup down to a mad science. Also here is proof from Xfinity's website that says that this does not apply to unlimited data plan customers. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-exceed-usage. The specific sentence that says "Note: This information does not apply to customers enrolled in the Flexible Data Option or the Unlimited Data Option." Hence "Unlimited Data Option." What is going on?

Expert

Re: Data Usage?

@gene_brown_742 wrote:

Hello,

I have an unlimited internet plan through Xfinity (keyword "unlimited.") I have no phone or cable access. But, I just received a voicemail (through my cellphone) that said I went over my data usage plan for a terabyte a month. This cannot be right because I have an unlimited plan. Also I used to pay $60/month, now they want to charge me $20/month extra for going over my supposed data usage plan. I don't have and never signed up for that. I'm furious. I cannot afford $80/month because I have my bills specifically setup down to a mad science. Also here is proof from Xfinity's website that says that this does not apply to unlimited data plan customers. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-exceed-usage. The specific sentence that says "Note: This information does not apply to customers enrolled in the Flexible Data Option or the Unlimited Data Option." Hence "Unlimited Data Option." What is going on?

The Unlimited Plan is actually set at 1TB per month based on the fact that 90% of users will not ever reach that amount of data used.  The Unlimited Plan that you referred to actually means that those that pay an extra $50 per month will have no overage fees should they go over the 1TB limit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

No it isn't hence the fact that it says "https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-exceed-usage"

Administrator

@gene_brown_742,

Thank you for posting your question here in the Xfinity Forum. We sincerely apologize for the confusion about our Internet Data Usage Plan. 

As mentioned by user @Again, Xfinity Internet customers in the following locations have the Terabyte Data Internet Usage Plan:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Mexico
  • Western Ohio
  • Oregon
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Southwest Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

The Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan is suspended in Maine, effective December 1, 2016.

The Terabyte Data Internet Usage Plan does not apply to Xfinity Internet customers on our Gigabit Pro tier of service. The plan also does not apply to Business Internet customers, customers on Bulk Internet agreements, and customers with Prepaid Internet.

If you are not in a market with Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan, you do not have a data plan at this time, although we retain the right to adopt one in the future.

With our Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan, your Xfinity Internet data usage is unlimited. Your plan includes 1 terabyte (1,024 GB ) per month, with an unlimited number of additional 50 GB blocks of data provided as needed for $10 each (up to $200 per month).

If you enroll in the Unlimited Data Option, you will pay a flat fee of $50 per month regardless of how much data you actually use. That way, you never have to pay individual overage charges.

However, like all other Xfinity Internet customers, your use of the Xfinity Internet service must be consistent with our Acceptable Use Policies for residential services and network management system. To learn more about our policies, see Customer Agreements, Policies & Service Disclosures.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

i had the same issue. and i know i paid for unlimited but now they are saying i dont have unlimited but can pay 50 more for unlimited. I swear i have NEVER went over. suddenly out of nowhere i am over. i dont believe this. this cannot be right. Did they also say you already used your curtosey in NOV 2017 and DEC 2017? i bet they have you the same story they telling everyone. 

New Poster

im sorry , but i think comcast did something. why is everyone going over. why all of a sudden we no longer have unlimited and now have to pay $50/month more for unlimited. This doesnt make sense. i spoke with other customers and its the same story. Why all of a sudden every is getting msgs that they went over, but never got those msgs in the past? why now? it doesnt make sense. 

New Poster

I agree. Never had data usage problems before. Never heard that we had an allotted amount. Seriously $200 a month for them isn’t enough!?
Regular Visitor

I too went over and I just recently went from household of 6 to 4ppl with less online equipment. I decided to monitor usage thru xFi app. It showed usage for things that were not plugged into electrical outlets & usage for phones/iPads not in the home for over 8-10hrs. I pause data on everything at night and last night everything that has ever signed onto my router in the past pulled large amounts of data. How is that possible some of that equipment has been out of the home 8-9months! Something is definitely wrong on Comcast end this needs immediate attention since we are being charged for overages & it’s obviously their problem!!
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem. There is no way I used 1.5 Terabyte’s of data last month. I have tried pausing devices. It seems the more I try to do to reduce my data usage, the more the data usage goes up. A month ago a Comcast tech named Lucas helped me and said he was going to find out exactly what was going on. I trusted him when he said he would call me at the end of the month with answers, but guess what? He never called. I am most disappointed with Comcast customer service. Today I was told to call their “Data Usage Team” I called this number thinking I would get some answers. Instead I got a call center with a foreign voice I could barely understand. I could tell they were reading off a list of pre written answers. They were no help at all. Last month I went out of town for 3 days. No devices were being used at my house but according to the Xfinity data meter I was using lots of data. What gives? I am on a fixed income and can’t afford the extra dollars for data I know I am not using. Please help me Xfinity!!!!!
New Poster

We had a similar problem in December '18 and January of '19 and Xfinity was of absolutely no help. We exceeded our 1 TB of data usage in both months. I spent hours trying to get help from Xfinity before doing my own research. I solved the data issue by setting Netflix to play only in standard definition. What you may not know about these streaming services is that they can use HUGE amounts of data. You can't set the playback quality for Hulu or Amazon - they play at the highest definition possible, as does Apple TV. We didn't have any changes in our home with respect to devices using data, yet Xfinity insistend there must have been a change to exceed 1 TB of data because "that's far more than the average customer." Oh really? I've read many similar stories about Xfinity. I don't like this ISP at all!

Frequent Visitor

Sounds like we are having the same problem with little or no help from Infinity. I will definitely take your advice on changing Netflix to standard image quality. I was feeling like Comcast was doing everything possible to make me pay the extra $50. a month for unlimited. Thanks for your help!!
Regular Contributor

You might want to check into this thread

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/td-p/2741624

There are many ways to go over the data cap described there as well as many ways to track data and reduce data.  (That thread has been going for years so the later pages are more relevant.)

Data use is going up in general.  2 years ago Comcast said their median monthly household data use was 60GB but now it's up to 200GB.  An outside firm estimated that 4% of comcast customers hit the data cap now vs only 2 percent last year. 

I wouldn't expect much help from Comcast.  If you go over your quota, then they charge you more and from their perspective the problem is solved.  My water main and my neighbors' water mains broke and the water company was happy to just charge us money until we found and fixed our broken pipes at our time and expense.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for the helpful info. I wanted to cut the cord so I could save money since I am retired. Having my data go up every month from 300 to 1.5 Terabyte’s really surprised me, and then Comcast did nothing to help me except send me on a wild goose chase from one call center to another!!
Regular Contributor

If you go into your comcast account, you can enter a personal email address and set it as your preferred contact address.  Otherwise I think notices go to the main Comcast email box whether you read it or not.  Also, while you're there, under "manage internet" you can see what you've used so far this month, and under communications preferences, you can set it to send you a warning at a lower threshold to give you more time to react.

New Poster

Same issue here. We have gone over our data limit 4 or 5 months in a row. I've been consistently paying $120 for my $70 internet plan. I went so far as to implement a captive portal which requires all devices to login every 2 hours (to prevent autoplay and other background connections). It didn't help.  This month we are already over the limit and it's only the 20th. I feel like I should mention that I have a very strict firewall (annoyingly so) and use my own modem.

Frequent Visitor

I’ve tried everything. I just had a Xfinity serviceman at my house on Friday. He checked everything in my system and said he couldn’t believe I was using that much data. He told me he was a big online video game user and never goes over a terabyte. He did give me a number for the supposed “ Data Use Team” which he said these people will be able to diagnose exactly where the data was going. I called the number immediately and got a foreign sounding voice who appeared to want to help me, but actually was no better than anyone else I had talked to. I have started turning my modem off at night and pausing devices not in use during the day. I wish Xfinity could help more but so far I am not happy!!! The number that I called for the data team is 1-888-565-4329!!!!!
Official Employee

Hello, all. 

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. If you're worried about the amount of data being used, I would highly suggest reaching out to our Customer Security Assurance team at 1-888-565-4329 (as kvb968 has pointed out). Their hours of operation are 6:00 am - 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week. If, after calling them, you are still experiencing issues, please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name. I'd be happy to help! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I had the same thing happen to me.  Signed up for unlimited $45./month plan.  All was well until I looked at my bill which I thought was one month behind (like $100.00) and it was $400.00.   I don't think they realise how much this devistates some people when they don't have the money because you only have so much money and you carefully budget then BAM!!  I could have had 100 plus channels for that price.     I don't understand how I went over when it is just me and I work full time so I'm not home using it all that much.  They wouldn't budge on reducing my bill so I quit them.  Can't do it anymore.....

Official Employee

I had the same thing happen to me.  Signed up for unlimited $45./month plan.  All was well until I looked at my bill which I thought was one month behind (like $100.00) and it was $400.00.   I don't think they realise how much this devistates some people when they don't have the money because you only have so much money and you carefully budget then BAM!!  I could have had 100 plus channels for that price.     I don't understand how I went over when it is just me and I work full time so I'm not home using it all that much.  They wouldn't budge on reducing my bill so I quit them.  Can't do it anymore.....

Barrett581, sorry to hear about that experience and to hear that you've left the Comcast family. We have a team that specializes in data usage concerns and investigates discrepancies. Please let me know if there is something we can do to get you back. 

Ken

Regular Visitor

We are having same SUDDEN spike in usage from 300 to 1600 and up with no changes in our usage. We also had increase on day when power was out AND internet service was out most of one day,how can this be? We have reported this to FCC and CSA, we have spoken to at least 6 or 7 people at Comcast. We received call back from<edited> a case manager executive customer relations after our FCC complaint. She told us she would engage CSA to determine what could be done about data usage and suggested downloading data using tracker.

Amy promised return call in 2-3 days and still have not heard back in reference to ticket # 3313763.

Official Employee

lw100, thanks for posting here about your data usage concerns. When you spoke with CSA, did they open a case to have this investigated? Is Amy a member of CSA? 

Frequent Visitor

Our story:
We were tired of our cable bill increasing to nearly $300/mo. We have triple play. Every two years we would call customer retention and negotiate back down to a 12-24 month promo rate, but it only lowered our bill by $20-$30. And each time the promo was about $10-$20 more than it was the last time. At the same time we were unable to watch more and more programs on demand without paying additional charges on top of that $276. It got so that almost 75% of what we attempted to watch cost an additional $3.99-$5.99 each. And more of what was free caused us to have to sit through over an hour of added commercials, yet we were already paying over $265-280!!

So in January 2019, five months ago, we chose to purchase our own modem and get rid of the newly increased $13 monthly modem charge, and to turn in two of our three any-room DVR receiver boxes and just use Roku in those rooms. Then a month later in February I called to change plans and stop paying their ridiculous price structures. We got rid of the premium plan we had paid for all these years and went down three levels to the starter plan but paid the extra $10 for extreme internet speed. Our changes cut $100 off our bill. Sure everything we watch now through them is laden with commercials, but at least I'm not paying the steep price for that. (Fyi, every time I do a speedtest, it's 84 - 104 mbps, and never higher than 104. I test with all five of the top speed test apps available. Yet Extreme speed at the extra $10 upgrade cost is for up to 260 Mbps. I never get close to that. <Edited>.)

Then SUDDENLY just two months later (about the time it would take for all the Comcast business system programs to run and sift through/analyze things and trigger response programs to run....) we exceed 1 Terabyte for the first time ever. We don't own any 4K TVs. We have 8+ years of watching only HD stations and we used to watch HD on three separate TVs simultaneously while at least one laptop was streaming Netflix at the same time. We have streamed Netflix on all TVs for several years, as well as two laptops and an iPad. However, we have only used two TVs and one laptop for Netflix for the past year. We have had a PS4, two Xboxes, and one gaming computer running several hours a day for the past four years, but today only one xbox remains and is only used a few times a week just to play Minecraft, and the PS4 is only used a couple times a month. In all that time we never had a month where we even used 700 or 800 GB. For years our average GB was about 200 GB and less, and then with changes in recent years with our devices and capabilities of HD it increased to about 300-400 GB/mo., sometimes 500s, and that was with 5 users. We now have one less person living at home and four less devices! The highest we ever used was 574 GB. This April 2019, we used 386 GB, then suddenly May was 1121 GB! That kind of an increase in such a short time would not have gone unnoticed in our day to day lives if it were accurate. I would be able to point to something that caused it, especially by the time it happened in the second month, but I couldn't because nothing had changed.

When we noticed that we were already at our normal high end of 500 GB in just the first two weeks of June, we shut off the Xbox that was always used for Minecraft gaming, which uses a good amount of data when played, but note that it was played heavily over the past two years too when our data usage was low. It has been off for the past 12 days and will stay off for the four days left in this billing cycle. Many other devices also remained off. The only devices being used for the past 12 days now has been two TVs, one Windows desktop, and three iPhones. Oh, and one Apple laptop for a total of 6 hours the entire 12 days: which occurred today to research this God awful mess. Nine other devices remained unplugged except for our modem itself. Today we received the 90% warning at 983 GB. All 16 of our devices are usually either used throughout every day or several times a week of every month and our usage never exceeded the 500s before. We went from 530 GB TO 983 in the past 12 days with only 6 devices being used daily. We haven't used them any more than usual, and not more just because the others are off. Basically not only has nothing changed to increase data use in our household, but instead there were changes to decrease it. So how on earth are we supposed to avoid a huge overage charge next month??? How much more can we taper back our usage? The same usage we have always been able to use in under 500GB up to two months ago??

If we stay with Comcast, we will have to face that old anxious chore of daily watching our data as best we can with the delayed reporting and worry about going over but not have any recourse to stop it, short of unplugging entirely. According to hundreds of internet reports about experience with this new data plan, that still won't stop it. Comcast will tell us to pay $50 a month extra to avoid having to worry so much or paying up to $200. LOLOLOL ... uhhh No. I just lowered our bill by $100 and can finally afford a tank of gas again and pay down some excessive medical bills. $50 is STILL a huge overage charge when you are living on a budget!

Our only choice we have is to leave Comcast altogether after 23 long loyal years. We can't risk it. Where there is one there are many more. <Edited> There are other companies to choose from if you want to stick with a cable company, and there are many are other ways to do things these days if not, or both. Comcast has chosen to be unfriendly to its loyal customers with their policies <Edited>

Official Employee

JuJuBee22, appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your experience so far with your usage concerns. I don't want you to think that we are leading you with false promises-- we are here to support you! 

xFi is only compatible with Comcast rented modems. At this time, xFi is provisioned only for Comcast rented modems. If you wish to track your data, there are other pieces of software you can use to do so, but xFi is the platform we use for that. 

When it comes to data usage disputes, our Customer Security Assurance team is the team dedicated to that concern. When it comes to your data usage, I am more than happy to look at options to lower your rate so unlimited data can be added and the costs to stay within your budget. I understand what it's like to be on a tight budget and how you have to prioritize certain things over others. We'd hate to see you leave, so I am happy to work with you. Please let me know if you'd like some assistance. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

I have a eerily similar story dealing with this same situation. I spent 3 months talking to many different people from Comcast on 2 different continents. Nobody had any good answers to why my data use was so hi. I even had a Comcast Serviceman (they charged me $70.00) come out to my house to check all my wiring and modem. Finally I talked to the Customer Security Assurance team several times. The bottom line seems to be that they want you to pay the extra $50. a month for unlimited data and know you will eventually tire, like I did and give in. They did give me a $80.00 credit which covered the service call but nothing for the overage charges for previous months. So much for cutting the cord to try and save money.
Official Employee

kvb968, sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad you were able to get help to add the unlimited data service so that the overcharges ceased. I'd be happy to look into options to lower your rate and turn this experience around. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Frequent Visitor

Well I'm not so sure, Ken, since y'all deleted my other two very informative posts, one about this customer assurance data usage department you speak of as if it's a viable resource. In that deleted post, I gave clear, honest details regarding a 3 1/2 hour long phone call with them involving ELEVEN transfers and they didn't do one single thing to provide proof of their reported usage, nor did they try to determine how our usage tripled from 386 GB in April to 1100+ GB in MAY. They literally tried to claim 1 Terabyte was our average usage based on May alone! When in fact it is not, and I gave proof of that too. It's the first time we ever went above 575.

Telling us there are other third party monitoring tools is a disservice here not to mention misleading since both you and I know that Comcast refuses to consider any measurement other than their own. I can show you reports of what our usage tracking really is in our home and it does nothing but cause Comcast to say we have to switch to THEIR modem so we can use THEIR monitoring app, or else it doesn't matter. That's a way to get another $156 a year from your customer since your modem leases for $13/month. And I find it suspicious that Comcast refuses to give detailed usage reports to us yet phone companies never had a problem showing detailed data usage reports on our bills even 10 years ago! Right down to the type of data, start time and end time. And no gas company, or electric company would ever get away with not letting us watch their very accurate and detailed meters attached to our houses! That also was mentioned in one of the other two posts you deleted.

Comcast decided to delete my posts and it is extremely troubling. It appears you fear the truth getting out. Deleting our posts amounts to silencing the customer and hiding the facts. If thats not the case, then let us be heard and stop deleting our posts. (btw There was no vulgar language or inappropriateness in those posts. It was entirely factual based on a very long and difficult customer service phone call. We deserve to be heard and will flood other non-Comcast controlled forums to get the word out if we have to.)

Frequent Visitor

I don't understand how ANY company can charge us for using an amount of something that they can't prove or back up with evidence. The present Customer Data Usage Meter is not evidence at all, given that the actual traffic detail it is based on is not being shared. I'd like to see the natural gas, electric, and water companies try to get away with that. Without proof of detail, it is just a conjured random number to both the customer and to any judge in our court systems today. If you can't accurately and precisely measure it, weigh it, or meter it then stop charging for it based on the amount used. If Comcast is going to charge $10 for every 50 GB over 1 Terabyte, then they need to provide their customers with supporting usage details that actually shows the data traffic throughout the day and allow access to it by the customer at any time of day. If you can't do that then you shouldn't charge for overages on data usage.

I don't think a customer should EVER have to pay to see the detail of what they are being charged for. Why is this legal?
Official Employee

@JuJuBee22 , I understand your frustrations and I appreciate you posting about your experience. Your posts may have been removed for violating our forum guidelines. Feel free to review them here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Guidelines/Xfinity-Forum-Guidelines/td-p/3115028 

I have access to the same data meter you have access to via the xFi app. Our Customer Security Assurance team is the sole team that works with data usage concerns. I will follow up with you on our private message thread. 

Ken

New Poster

Comcast is getting greedy. I only watch tv at night mostly, and I never knew we had a 1TB plan until they "claimed" we went over it, yet cannot say how or why.... AMAZING.
They don't have enough servers to support the millions of customers they charge more than a car payment a month for just to watch tv.
I cannot commit to a contract because we are selling our house and cannot transfer service to where we are going. I'm paying over $80.00 a month for 1 TB of data with no contract for wifi ONLY; no cable, and only watching Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Hulu and YouTube for a few hours each night. Before we had 4 or 5 TV's on all the time and never had an overage. They need to rethink their customer services or they will lose a lot of business.
New Poster

Exactly the same thing is happening to us. They want to charge us an extra $10.00 for EACH 50GB over the Terabyte per month. They are giving us 2 months free overage, but our data went up last month with no new devices, almost everything on pause, and only 1 tv being used a few hours a day.
I don't even have my phones on the wifi anymore. My pc desktop is unplugged also, yet, they say I went over the TB.
Frequent Visitor

June was our second courtesy month which means next month we will start to be charged. Based on May and June, we can expect at minumum $40-$60 MORE than our normal bill. This is unacceptable and we are not sticking around to pay their fees, <Edited>. We just lowered our bill by $100 in the spring, so we will not play these games. 

-

We made the decision last week to switch internet companies and we have an installation scheduled for this Saturday. We should have done this a year or two ago but like so many of us, we were scared and assumed the grass wouldn’t be greener. In this case though it was. No one should have to pay $50 more every month to not have this monkey on their back due to fear. If you’d like to read what I compared to Comcast, it is at the very end of this post. Normally I would have posted a second time to keep each post topic shorter, but it will violate Comcast’s forum posting policies if I do that. 

-

My advice to all: don’t compare Comcast with other companies based solely on what is advertized on websites. The webpage for the company  we chose is geared to users who want to have, or have a specific need to have, the old fashioned set up of cable boxes and physical dvrs. But speaking to a sales rep who is savvy about where most of us are today, and where we are headed, it eliminated the need for over $75 of equipment and cable TV packages. 

-

NOTE TO COMCAST: in the outside slim chance that so many of us were wrong about our usage, and we really did suddenly triple our data usage and you have beared unfair criticism about that,  you still made critical mistakes. Charging so much for exceeding 1 terabyte, for every “50GB” chunk, was a poor business design. Here is why:

-

First, the 1 terabyte logic and research you still point to in your defense today is outdated by over 4-5 years, and your customers are wise to that. You are no longer just trying to protect 90% of your customers by making the top 10% who are excessive users and businesses pay for that usage, but rather all of us. You should have doubled that limit last year at the very latest to reflect the norm for the 90% you “never meant to hurt.”  You hailed continued improvements and cutting edge service these past few years, so if true, you should have been growing right alongside us to handle the increase in the normal usage too.

-

Second, your 50GB increments is woefully unmatched to the current times and data needs, and as you are also data users you know this. 50 GB can be reached in just a single day with a typical family of four with modest usage. You knew that too which is why you made a $200 max. <Edited> appearances are everything. 

-

Third, and last, your policies hit a VERY sore spot in all of us from the days when cell phone companies put us through that nickel and diming data usage, keeping us on daily eggshells over our data, with the same “oh, but if you pay more for this we won’t charge for that” trap. And the sore spot is really more like an open wound. 

-

These were your mistakes Comcast. The only way you can recover from it would require you to drop all data limits immediately or double your limit before you lose more customers. But knowing you like I do for the past 23 years, I know you won’t, or you would have last December when the first wave of outcries that I personally noticed started to flood the internet. Customers that stay are going to pay you a LOT more money than they should have to while they patiently wait and hope you will change, and risk that it will be too little. Happily, I am not one of them. 

-

HOW WE COMPARED: We chose the only competitor that has no data limits whatsoever, and never will, and what do you know...their speed is dedicated fiber optic - 1GB BOTH uploads and downloads. It’s not just a pipe dream claim either. I spoke with fourteen of our neighbors who switched last year and they have nothing but positive things to say, and confirmed that the download speeds always clocked in at 700-800GB or faster, and recently started to with upload speeds too.  Many have had moments of hitting the 1GB speed. With Comcast, we have never clocked in at more than 105 mbps, (MB!) and I pay Comcast an extra $10/mo for their “extreme” speed service of a measily 260 mbps! Our Comcast cable is not a dedicated line so neighboring traffic affects speeds, apparently 24/7. The company we are switching to has a dedicated line setup, so there is no risk of business growth bringing that down. Households throughout our entire city have been switching at a steady pace for the past year now, and there is a reason for that. The only response by Comcast was to charge us for exceeding data. The new service never charges for home visits whenever a tech needs to come for ANY reason. A very modest monthly tech fee covers everything in the future, even use of modems and routers if one chooses to need to use theirs. This is what Comcast customers have always wanted. We are going to pay for a streaming service for our regular cable/TV stations, because every single one we presently watch can be viewed that way. We lose nothing, and have no need for settop box/dvr equipment charges. We get unlimited storage for cloud dvr too. Combined with the new internet cost, our bill is $48 lower than Comcast, including home phone, and NO DATA LIMITS, ever.  After the two year promo period, our actual true monthly bill is still $18 cheaper than it is now, and frankily ... with no data limits and surprise charges month to month, I would have been overjoyed if it ended up being the same as my regular bill with Comcast. But its cheaper. And $18 is a good chunk to absorb any future price increases due to continued growth. Will we have future billing headaches? Maybe....maybe not. But if we do, it wont be for several years. We see bright skies and smooth sails for the next 6 years at minimum, and what a refreshing welcome reprieve it is. 

New Poster

Wow, you have really done your homework! I could not have said it better. I think I know what company you are talking about....but to be sure, the first initial of it's name would help (hint, hint). Thanks for posting that incredibly detailed and informative review. Comcast needs to show it's customers that it has a heart. With costs of everything rising faster than anyone on low or median income can bear, internet and tv is their only outlet. To charge so much for it is just cruel.
New Poster

Did youever resolve this? I am in something of the same boat myself. We cosistantly used the same amount of data from month to month for a year then suddenly started hitting our cap around the middle of the month with no changes to what we had been doing previously.  According to Comcast we went over 300 MB over our cap and are on track to repeat again this month. Again, no changes in our day to day usage from the previous 12 months so I am at a loss to figure out where the extra usage is coming from.

Frequent Visitor

Yes we resolved it, No it wasn't with Xfinity. Our resolution was to leave. We refused to be harrangued into paying $50 a month to avoid this kind of daily stress. Metronet in our area offers 1GB/1GB internet speeds, and NO DATA LIMITS EVER. We chose to go with a streaming TV service since we get everything we watched through Xfinity, and only pay for the phone and internet. They bought out our "termination fee" as well. We currently get 900-980 GB download speeds on a ethernet connected desktop, and about 300-400 GB wifi speeds on all our other devices. And I run speed tests daily ... it's consistent. The most our speed ever clocked in with Comcast was 105 mb. And we paid for the Extreme Speed upgrade!! Our total cost is now $20 lower than what everything was with Comcast. We have not noticed any difference in our home's capability since we switched, if anything our son experiences much faster response times in his gaming. Comcast's lack of customer service and their practice of nickel and diming us to death cost them our busniess. And their service when we started the disconnection process was so bad, that we will never go back, even if they were the best and cheapest choice. They lost a 23-year customer because of Data Limits. How Stupid. 

TL: DR:  The fix is to switch to fiber optic cable that has no data limits.

New Poster

Wow I'm gonna have to look that up. Thanks for the info!
New Poster

Your welcome. Smiley Happy

By the way, this is JujuBee22.  For some unknown reason, Xfinity just revoked my member ID and I can't get into my other forum account. They did this right after they removed someone else's post below yours. (which wasn't mine by the way ... Comcast ...)  If they presumptuously guessed that I was responsible for the post they deleted, they were way wrong.

I guess it doesn't pay to be vocal and honest, or reply to those who reply to me here. So now I have no access to my former JujuBee22 account nor any private messages should I ever want to reply the support agent who reached out to me before. Not smart.

New Poster

So I am also worried about the accuracy of this Comcast Data usage.  My setup is I have a SB cable modem, and an ASUS Router. So all internet traffic goes through the router (wifi and ethernet), and good thing with this router is that it has a network traffice monitoring system. I started monitoring my data usage because, as you can see from the attached screenshot, for the month of  May, I almost hit the cap, June is OK since we were out of the country mostly, although, its still weird that it shows I used 400+GB when we were out of town from June 10 to June30, and then on July I finally did exceed the cap. And now, for this half month of August, it shows I am already at 421 GB,  but on my router, it shows that I am only at 227 GB usage (upload/download). That is a huge gap!! I understand that sometimes, if I watch some shows on cable, it uses the internet and it counts against my cap, but I dont think I used 200+ GB for that.

Can someone from Comcast explain this? 

Edit: For some reason, I cannot upload the screenshot in here. Here is the link to it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sz2fCKywXwpipj1G7

comcast.pngdata usage comparison

Official Employee

huzzl3r, thanks for posting. We have a dedicated team that works with internet usage disputes/concerns. Here is their contact info: 

Customer Security Assurance

Hours of Operation

6:00 AM - 2:00 AM ET/Seven days a week

1-877-807-6581

New Poster

@gene_brown_742 wrote:

Hello,

Official Employee

Hello @Fuwillis, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I would be more than happy to further look into this Unlimted Data/Data Usage concern for you, as well as assist with your billing concerns. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message.