Community Forum

Data Usage Forcing Cancellation Within First 30 Days

Frequent Visitor

Data Usage Forcing Cancellation Within First 30 Days

I wish this wasn't happening but I am going to be left with no respectable option but to cancel within the first 30 days before I pay anything.  I've only had Comcast for a week and it's been an absolutely dreadful experience devoid of enjoyment, most of that is due to data usage increasing 1%-3% each night while all devices are unplugged and off, data usage numbers that are also 3-4 times higher than what my OS is reporting, AND, this latest bit of misinformation propagated upon me by a Comcast representative: late last night I called them about this issue and they miraculously had daily usage  stats available.  Those numbers were not the issue, the issue was that the numbers were not at all close to what was being reported via the X1 box in regards to the percentage used each day.  Each 1% of data used is 10.2 GB.  On days they said I used 30 % or 35%[30.6 GB or 35.7 GB] the XI box was showing a usage of 4%-5% for the day which is upwards to 50 GB.  A 15-20 GB discrepancy each day is a  450 GB[44%] -  600 GB[59%] on Comcast's part.  Do you seriously expect people to pay higher fees for a broken data usage system???  I am going to say 'no' so - I am being forced to cancel and without seeing a justifiable reason that means it is discrimination of some sort.  Also, if data caps were necessary then smaller companies would have done it long before Comcast, maybe from the start, in order to ensure their survival.  

Frequent Visitor

System-Off Data Usage higher than System-On Data Usage?

This just doesn't seem right.  Even if allocating for error, I am seeing a more than 200% differential from the time the data intially posts til the next day when it is first viewed for the day.  For the 32 hours spanning Sunday, February, 10th - Monday, February 11th I had an increase of 1%[10.24 GB] in data usage.  After shutting down my system for the night I checked the data usage in the morning to see it had increased an entire 2%[20.48 GB] of data.  Nearly 40% of my reported data usage since February 6th has occurred when the system has been shut down and/or unplugged.  How is a system with a +/- 40% error percentage suitable for sale to the public for useage?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: System-Off Data Usage higher than System-On Data Usage?

Comcast says their meter may not show all the data used within the last 24 hours, so turning your system(s) off overnight may show more data use in the morning because the data (which was actually used earlier) has now been recorded on the meter.   On the other hand, if you shut your system(s) down for more than 24 hours, check the meter, then leave them off for an additional 24 hours or more, and data use has still climbed, then something is going on.

Frequent Visitor

Re: System-Off Data Usage higher than System-On Data Usage?

Why do these adjustments always occur overnight when no one is looking and why is the original number always close to and in agreement with what the OS and other data reading programs say up until Xfinity makes their adjustments???

Regular Visitor

Re: Data Usage Forcing Cancellation Within First 30 Days

just switched over to internet only, and where before my data usage was running on average 400GB per month, it is now showing OVER that amount in just 14 days!  Haven't changed anything, and even used their "estimator" and doubled expected usage on all categories.  Already well over what the "estimator" said i should be using per month.