Community Forum

Customer Owned Equiptment Credit Question

Highlighted
Contributor

Customer Owned Equiptment Credit Question

I have a CableCard in a PC used as a secondary tuner box, I am also paying

and additional $10 for the X1 DVR service.

But for some reason, I am no longer entitled to the Customer Owned Credit,

and customer service cannot seem to explain why. One excuse is that I am

paying for DVR service, so that is supposed to disqualify it, another agent

keep saying read the policy on credit,  I have and don't see anything to

disqualify it either. So if I  am paying full rental on a X1 dvr AND box, should

I not qualify  for a credit?? Granted it only $5 per month, but it still $60 a
year

Extract from my bill below

bill.jpg

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Customer Owned Equiptment Credit Question

The credit is only due if your service includes the cost of a "TV box" and you have a CableCard device. If your subscription does not include a box, the credit would not be due. If you have a strong stomach for legal gobbledygook, the FCC rule concerning the credit is 47 CFR 76.1205 (b) (5) (ii) ( B ) (2) (see https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/76.1205).

Highlighted
Contributor

So why wouldn't a cable box be included in that plan, as I do not believe I could access any thing without a box?

And every plan upto May of last year did include a box and credit

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@gwtx wrote: So why wouldn't a cable box be included in that plan ...

All I know is Comcast has changed policies for some areas and packages so that they no longer include the primary cable box. Check recent bills for a note about this (log in to https://customer.xfinity.com/#/billing). My bill in South Central PA dated July 5th 2018 contained the following:

Effective with this bill, the primary TV Box will now be charged separately and will no longer be included in your package. We have reduced the price of your package by the amount of the TV Box to ensure this change doesn't affect your monthly charges for service.

Unfortunately, this note does not mention the Customer Owned Equipment Credit specifically, but the FCC rule that requires the credit says it is owed when 1) the charge for your TV service includes a cable box, and 2) you supply your own cable box. If Comcast changed the TV service terms in your area as they have mine so that the first cable box is no longer included , then the Customer Owned Equipment Credit is no longer due. You should find that your TV service charge has dropped by approximately the amount of the credit.

If your TV service plan includes a cable box, then you should still be receiving the Customer Owned Equipment Credit.

Keep leaning on them until they restore the credit or explain why they have removed it.

Highlighted
Contributor

None have been able, one said it cheaper than your previous contract, the other three keep claiming I should re-read the policy, , as I am using it as a additional outlet, I dont think the charge should apply as stated below

Applicable Credits
If you use Qualifying Equipment and have no leased Xfinity TV Box from Comcast, you
will receive a Customer Owned Equipment credit in those cases where the price to lease a
Xfinity TV Box is included in your package price. Where Comcast leased equipment is offered
and charged a-la-carte and not included in the package price, or where you are using Qualifying
Equipment as an additional outlet, you will not receive a credit; instead you simply will not be
charged a lease fee when you use a Qualifying Devices in place of a leased Xfinity TV Box or
leased CableCard.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

If you use Qualifying Equipment and have no leased Xfinity TV Box from Comcast, you
will receive a Customer Owned Equipment credit in those cases where the price to lease a
Xfinity TV Box is included in your package price. ...

I'm not Comcast, but my understanding of your situation is:

The description of your TV service on the bill fragment you posted does not include any "TV boxes", so you don't appear to qualify for a Customer Owned Equipment credit. The credit is only due when you are paying Comcast for a package that includes a cable box, but supplying your own instead of using theirs.

Did you check bills around the date the COE credit was dropped to see if there was note about "TV Box will no longer be included in your package", as I described above? You can view past bills by logging in to https://customer.xfinity.com/#/billing/past-statements.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi, gwtx. Thanks for you posting and choosing this method to reach out for support within the community. I realize the situation is unclear with your equipment and the billing for it. I would like to help clear this up. In order to give you a definitive answer on this, I will need to go ahead and pull up your account on this end. To get started, please send me a private message with your first and last name.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@gwtx wrote: ... I am no longer entitled to the Customer Owned Credit, and customer service cannot seem to explain why. ...

Was the Comcast employee able to clear this up for you?

Highlighted
Contributor

I PMed them as requested and swapping messages on it