Community Forum

Comcast refusal to correct overbilling

New Poster

Comcast refusal to correct overbilling

Comcast has incorrectly billed me a monthly modem rental fee of $10 - $11 from July 2014 to December 2018 even though the modem was my own (purchased from Amazon on June 13, 2014) and I had returned the Comcast modem to their local office here in Michigan. I called many times over the years and the service rep said that overcharge will be corrected and I will get a refund. I believed them. So, I did not check every month for this $11 overcharge being still there. On January 5 (chat ref #048240791), the rep told me that they are working on refunding the overpayment of $430 and I should hear in about 3 weeks. Yesterday (chat ref#14071979), the rep denied any record of that and refunded  only $44! Is there a way to get this corrected without going to Better Business Bureau or going public?

Expert

Re: Comcast refusal to correct overbilling

@mkverma2002 wrote:

Comcast has incorrectly billed me a monthly modem rental fee of $10 - $11 from July 2014 to December 2018 even though the modem was my own (purchased from Amazon on June 13, 2014) and I had returned the Comcast modem to their local office here in Michigan. I called many times over the years and the service rep said that overcharge will be corrected and I will get a refund. I believed them. So, I did not check every month for this $11 overcharge being still there. On January 5 (chat ref #048240791), the rep told me that they are working on refunding the overpayment of $430 and I should hear in about 3 weeks. Yesterday (chat ref#14071979), the rep denied any record of that and refunded  only $44! Is there a way to get this corrected without going to Better Business Bureau or going public?

Comcast isn't going to refund you $430 for an overpayment.  Their policy is to refund only 4 months on an overcharge.  When you returned the equipment did you receive a receipt?  When you were calling about the charge did you ever refer to the receipt.  You say, "So, I did not check every month for this $11 overcharge being still there."  It is your responsibility to check your bill every month for charges like this.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

You don’t seem to know that at Comcast service center in 2014, they just asked you to drop the equipment in a box so as to not wait in long lines and the drop boxes didn’t dispense receipts. Yes, I saw charges and called every year at least
New Poster

I was being charged for my own modem but my situation was different than yours.   At any rate, I received my refund but only from dogged persistence.   So first try that.   But here is your nuclear option that works 99% of the time:    sit out in front of their office with a large sign.   Warn them first that you will do it.   Then if you do it, do 2 things:  1.  call the local police jurisdiction and tell them in advance (this is TOTALLY legal  --  it's just best that you be the first caller)  2.  Make sure that nothing on the sign is false to protect yourself from slander.  (Maybe suggest their competitor)   This method is known to have dramatic results.  Never mind their rules about refunds  --  they will give in.

In my town they are on the main street through town so they can not afford me to be out there for even 3 minutes.