Community Forum

Comcast has cancelled my new account due to an old debt?!

New Poster

Comcast has cancelled my new account due to an old debt?!

I signed up for and received my welcome packet on Friday. It set up perfectly fine. Today, Monday, I came home from work and the internet was not working/had been disconnected.

I called and talked to a customer service agent who told me I had an unpaid debt of $190 from nearly 4 years ago that was preventing my new account from opening. This is absurd! I was not aware of this debt, have never seen this on a credit report. But she told me I had to call a collection agency to clear this up to open my account.

I know the way collection agencies work and will not acknowledge an unknown debt for it to appear on a credit report years later.

Is there any way around this?

Official Employee

Re: Comcast has cancelled my new account due to an old debt?!

Hello, Kneistat. Thanks for reaching out to the Xfinity Forums with your concerns. 
We understand how it can be inconvenient, but all outstanding balances must be paid before a past customer can re-start services. Once the balance has been paid, we would love to help you find a new service plan that fits your needs for the best price possible. When you are ready to re-start service, send us a private message with your first and last name as well as service address so we can assist. 

To send a private message, click my name "Comcast_Support", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!