Community Forum

Comcast - Please ditch the sports fee!

New Poster

Comcast - Please ditch the sports fee!

Comcast, please stop passing along the regional sports broadcast fee to those of us that never watch sports. I find it very upseting that I am forced to finance overpaid sports careers of any type. Please let sports fans pay for it. Please encourage regular broadcast channels to not air sports, so that my bill doesn't have to be padded with another increasing fee that you couldn't bother to combine with the package price.

Expert

Re: Comcast - Please ditch the sports fee!

@ameliaec wrote:

Comcast, please stop passing along the regional sports broadcast fee to those of us that never watch sports. I find it very upseting that I am forced to finance overpaid sports careers of any type. Please let sports fans pay for it. Please encourage regular broadcast channels to not air sports, so that my bill doesn't have to be padded with another increasing fee that you couldn't bother to combine with the package price.

Even though you don't watch sports, your package most likely includes some sports channels.  Others with the same package may watch those sports channels.  Packages are made to appeal to a broad audience, and therefore include those channels.  In that respect the sports fee is included.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Comcast should breakout sports channels for those who watch them including the Regional Cost Fees.  The rest of us who don't want sports channels should not be charged the fee or be able to tune in the sports stations.  They should be handled like other premium stations like HBO etc. and purchased separately. 

Official Employee

Hello, all. 

Thanks for reaching out to us here on the forums. The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that recovers a portion of the costs of broadcasting multiple regional sports networks to our standard video services. Our digital channel lineups include a variety of programming that appeals broadly to our customers' interests, including general entertainment, news and sports programming. Under the current distribution model, we offer these very popular regional sports networks on our most widely distributed levels of service, and this fee covers a small portion of our costs to carry these increasingly expensive channels.

Thank you for your feedback. If you have any additional questions, please let us know. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

If you charge a fee no matter what, it should be clearly visible and included in the package cost.  Adding on its cost afterwards is not being visible and up front.  You look deceptive.  I'm being charged Broadcast TV Fee $8.50 Regional Sports Fee $8.25 every month.  That's $16.75 in addition to the package fee.  Hiding that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  You should be at least up front about these and include them in the package cost.

Also, for those of us who would just not want to see all those hindreds of sports channels that block us finding other non sports channels, packages should be included that don't have the sports channels at all.  They just clog up the selection process and add costs for stuff we don't look at.

Official Employee

ALK2, 

Our goal is to be as transparent as possible. Any time we make a change that affects billing, we do send our customers a link for them to review and approve. The charges are outlined in the approval links and an estimated monthly total is given including fees and taxes.

The Regional Sports Fee applies to customers who have Starter cable and above. We do have channel lineups such as Economy or Basic that do not include this fee. You can view the channel lineups here after entering your address. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.