Community Forum

Comcast Overcharging But Won't Refund

New Poster

Re: Comcast Overcharging But Won't Refund

I have a similar story and it is not over yet.  The first problem was accepting the free upgrade to Xfinity 1.  They prematurely disabled my premium services and they were out for a week for some unexplained reason.  They just said there was an open ticket. At the end of the week I called back again (more time spent) and the tech support guy said, oh it is closed and he could turn the services back on. That was fine.  I then called to get credit for the time my premium services were off.  I did get $10 back and a $20 inconvenience credit.  Then during a call about the bill and that I was being charged for additional boxes.  It turned out they were charging me for the old boxes that had yet to be returned.  When I physically returned the equipment to the local office, it was still showing up on my bill.  Another call and more time spent. Next, during a call the rep said she noticed that I had be en charged for 2 years a fee for my model that was included in my bundle price.  After asking for a supervisor who did actually call me back, I got a refund for 1 year's worth of the fee.  The initial discussion was much as others have described: why did I take so long to report this? their policy is to only go back for 60 days, they can't go back further than a year. I asked them if they do audits to make sure they are billing customer properly.  They said they did.  I said they need to improve as they missed the error on my account for 2 years. The whole experience has cost me about 8 hours and much aggrevation.

I am now seeking a way to get the 2nd year of overpayments refunded. The experiences reported here are helpful.  Small claims court seems to be the way to go.

Also, I am very disappointed in my treatment.  I have been a good customer for over 10 years.  I have amazed that the business processes have been so bad.   I also thought they would do more to retain customers but the treatment actually seems intended to push customers away.

Admin1
Regular Visitor

They've been overcharging me a mere $2.xx every month for over 2 years now.  Each and every month I either "chat" or call them, after hours of them giving me this and that explanation (all of which are incorrect) just like what you all describe below, generally chalking up the overage to taxes they make up in their heads, I demonstrate over and over that 1 + 1 = 2, they eventually agree, claim to credit my account and swear it's resolved and won't happen again.  Then, the next month's bill rolls around and voila!  There's the overage again.  I don't know what I hate more, not having invoices that show zero balances when that's what they should be, spending several frustrating hours every single month repeating myself, or talking to these comcast reps who are like the manchurian candidate.  

New Poster

Wow, I can't believe this is such a reaccuring issue with comcast!  

I just noticed a bogus charge for "Touchtone Service" on my bill, It went back 2 years!!! While looking back, I also noticed a strange "Interlata" charge that showed up for 6 months and then disappeared.  When I spoke to customer service, they refunded me for 10 months, but their computers didn't go bad any further, they claimed.  Well, my documents went back further! I copied all the bills and mailed them to Comcast.  They still refused to reimburse me.  They kept saying their computers only went back 10 months and even thou I had documentation, they wouldn't acknowledge it.  

Time to switch providers for phone and internet.  I'd rather give someone else my $200/month!

Reviews to follow on Yelp, BBB & FCC

Problem Solver

Hello Kataan,

I apologize for any inconvenience but our systems can only back-date so far. Touchtone Service means that you had an additional line. The additional line was removed and you were credited as far back as our system will allow.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I realize that Comcast's records convieniently only goes back so far. But mine do.  I have all my old Comcast bills.  I have the documentation, YOUR documentation, in fact.  These are bills are from YOU.  If this is how you do business, I want no part of it.  I have been with Directv for my tv service since 2000.  I'm sure they would be happy to have my phone and internet business as well. 

New Poster

Amen! I am in, let's take it to the news. 

New Poster

The boxes you can take it to the local UPS store and drop it off and get a receipt. I highly recommend that you don't leave it on your porch. This company has already ripped me off once over a box they claimed they never received and refused to see my proof when I took it to their store. Get a receipt! 

New Poster

I ordered NBA League Pass on 1/16/2015. I was told that I have 30 day to try it out and if I didn’t like it I would get full refund. Also I was told that I will get charged $42.25 for the first installment.

I called on 01/26/2015 and cancelled the service since I really it was not working out with me, I just didn’t have the time to watch the games.

I was promised full refund at cancellation.

The bill came out and to my surprise, not only that I didn’t get refund, I was charged the remaining $126.75, with additional fees, the total was $173.17 for a service that I canceled after 10 days and I never really used except to watch 2 games. The bill was paid since I am on automated payment, but I call Comcast sometime in February, and was promised a full refund since I canceled on time.

Two months went by and I still did not see the refund, so I called back in May 2015. The rep told me that the refund has been approved, but a manager didn’t sign off on it that was the reason for the delay, and of course another promise that it will be taking care of. By august 2015, I still have not seen the refund and I called again, to be told basically the same thing I was told in May.

In September2015, I went to the local Comcast office in Merrillville IN and I wanted to file official complaint about everything that I went through. The representative/floor manager, was very rude, with an attitude of we can file this complaint of yours, but I doubt it will get approved, as if all of this was my fault. I didn’t get a copy of the complaint, but she assured me that she will submit it and hopefully it will get resolved.

It is 12/03/2015 today, and still there have been no refund nor any contact from Comcast.

Admin1

Hi tonij007,

You got those credits back in September. They show up on your billing statement dated 10/1. You'll see two line items under Other Charges & Credits that say NBA League Pass-Adjustment in the amounts of -42.25 & -126.75

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Im sick of their overcharging. They added a bunch of additional services i didn't want. Now i just paid 80.00 then 60.00 then it was 77.64. the same day they raised it to 195.99 for the same day. This should be looked over under investigation . they can't add things on to your bill you don't want. my bill was supposed to be 69.99 per month contract. this is an outrage and i will not be using thier overpriced add on services. 1 star thanks have a nice freaking day comcast. Unsubscribe.

Problem Solver

davy18,

I have reviewed your account to assist in resolving this issue for you. I have sent you a private message to discuss your account.  You can click on my name (ComcastKristyl) and click on "Private Message Me”. 

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope.  This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.   A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.  

To open a PM, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

New Poster

I've been overcharged of almost 18 months and they "gave" me a $20 dollar credit! Crooks!
Problem Solver

Hello kricklet,

I apologize for your billing concerns. A bill can be disputed but must be done within the first 30 days of the bill being received. At this time I can not justify any additional credits. If you have any other questions or concerns please reply back. 

New Poster

Another story.  I was incorrectly charged a $60 install fee to correct an issue with the initial install just a few weeks prior.  I was told that I wouldn't be charged to correct the system.  Well, I saw the fee on my next online bill and called xfinity.  The representative read the notes on my account and agreed the charge shouldn't be there.  The rep.said they would be issuing a credit and it would update before the autopay feature withdraw the funds from my account.  Well that didn't happen and xfinity withdrew the full amount including the incorrect $60 install fee.  Called xfinity again, the representative read my acount notes agree the charge was incorrect and where a refunded was told to be granted.  The representative said sorry but he could only offer my a $20 credit for an incorrect $60 charge but nothing more. How can they agree it is a incorrect charge and not refund my money. Isn't that stealing? I have disuputed the charge from when I first saw the bill post online, what more do you have to do to get what you are owed?  I might need to call an attorny like Morgan & Morgan to get what is fair for me and many others..

New Poster

It seems that Comcast always makes the bill confusing on purpose,especially in the column of "taxes/fees"( For being convenient to overcharge ??  God knows.I don't believe there are so many man-made mistakes!). and as well never care what and how its customers feel( even there is a sentence "your opions are important" on its survey). Besides, the content of the customer's bill or statement looks different from its own computer system(no idea why, but I just care whether or not to be fooled). Anyone here knows the valid place to complain,please?

Highlighted
Administrator
Moved:

Official Employee

Hi JC_OR! I'd be more than happy to help with any billing concerns or questions you may have, please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

That happened to me too!!   They'd been charging me all along!  And "coincidently" I get a letter in the mail saying they need to charge

me $10 for the wifi box!!!  This is totally a scam.  I'm having my brother look into it.  He has inside info.  I am so angry with them for charging what they charge and then issues come up with things and they want to send a truck out and charge you.  I am getting No Signal on my tv.  I reset it, then it came back and turned off to no signal again.  I unplugged and reset again...tv worked then went off to No Signal.  I've been a customer for MANY years and they couldn't care less.  I agree that they derserve the title they got of the worst company in the US.

New Poster

I'm checking out Sling.  You can pick what channels you want for cheap.

Administrator
Moved:

Official Employee

Hello kthemaster. I can help you with any billing or equipment concerns you may have. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you.