Community Forum

Charged a service call charge for service problem

New Poster

Charged a service call charge for service problem

I don't understand why I'm getting a service charge when I had a problem with the speed of the internet by Comcast. If there is a problem with the service, which one pays for, isn't the company's obligation to provide the service and/or fix the problem? I am paying for a service that was not working right, why am I being charged $60 for this? I could not speak w customer service due to office being closed. Will call tomw? Hoping Comcast customer service reads this because this is completely unfair, and warrants why people have mixed emotions about cable. I was a cord cutter for 3 yrs, and decided to give it a chance again due to the hikes in internet charges. I hope others can advise on similar situation.
Expert

Re: Charged a service call charge for service problem

If the issue was related to equipment you lease or Comcast equipment outside your home, then there would not be a fee. If the issue was related to customer-owned equipment or wiring in your home, then there would be a fee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello @cardenasfamily4. I can help review the technician visit fee you were billed for. Please reach out to me via private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am in complete agreement! In days gone by, any company providing a service for a fee would work very hard to make that service work for the customer. If the service was not provided or did not work as agreed to (for payment) then the company would AND SHOULD repair the service to maintain that customer and hope that customer would tell all their friends about the great company he/she had found to do business with! 

In this instance the customer is basically given two choices: 1. Pay a service charge to get the service repaired ... or 2. Find alternative sources of thet service and quit doing business with the company!

Are you listening COMCAST  XFINITY?

New Poster

Here’s the way I see it. Comcast installs the infrastructure that ends up connecting cities (and therefore individual homes) to the internet, then there’s whatever level of competence the builder of the home puts into running Ethernet throughout a house, and then there’s the equipment which is manufactured and installed by Comcast. When people are in need of service it’s because they are either too uninformed about relatively user-friendly solutions to make their internet work on their devices OR there’s a problem with the equipment or infrastructure. Assuming Comcast once made the internet work inside their home (an installer doesn’t leave your house without verifying that it works), there’s no reason to believe that the home builder would be responsible for the internet not working 6 months later. So we can assume that nearly 100% of all service requests are going to result in a technician blaming the homeowner for either not knowing enough or for messing with the wires OR blaming themselves or their equipment for the subpar internet connectivity. Charge the customer only when they are to blame, otherwise customers would be scheduling visits every time they needed help creating a Facebook profile, or learning how to delete cookies, etc. But there’s no justification for charging a customer for something beyond their fault, especially when they aren’t getting refunded for time down. The fact that customers ARE charged even when the service they bought isn’t working is reason enough for them to get a refund. The only businesses that continue to charge, you regardless of whether their product works or not, are the ones where the only reason it’s not working is because of something the customer did (crashed their car, dropped their phone) because otherwise it’s covered under a warranty. And since Comcast customers lease/rent their equipment there should ALWAYS be a complimentary service request that goes with it. If the equipment is at fault and the equipment isn’t owned by Comcast then of course a fee is understandable.