Community Forum

Broadcast TV Fee

Contributor

Re: $7 Broadcast TV Fee AND I DON'T EVEN USE THE BOX

YES, you can certainly change your Comcast service.  But you do have to call and have the "conversation".  

Just saying you "don't watch the fricking channels or use the fricking box ain't going to help."

Change your account to Internet only and return any Comcast boxes.  Also get your own cable modem for maybe $50 or less, it will pay for itself in a few months since Comcast charges about $10/month to "rent" a cable modem.  

Contributor

"I only subscribed to this package because it's cheaper than internet alone."

No, this is a lie the reps try to sell you on.  The package is usually "not cheaper" because as you've discovered, once you add on the fees, taxes and other BS charges, it more out of your pocket.  If you enjoy the package, great. But if you don't want the package and it's costing you more ... cancel the package and just order the service you want.

New Poster

Re: Broadcast TV Fee

Question - why isnt our monthly charges covering this fee?

Most of us signed a contract that we agreed to terms for a certain $ amount. It seems like this is an arbitrary way for comcast to amend the terms of our contract. I as the other intersted party of the contract cannot say I want to pay you less because I have higher costs. This is a 2 year contract 3 year price lock. What is my 120$ paying for if not to help cover this.

Now, im locked in a 2 year contract and i get charged early termination fee so i have no leverage to threaten to leave. Comcast will get paid either way if i threaten to change. But comcast can just tack something on as a 'fee' and collect 10$ extra per month. Why isnt this rolled up into our contract?

This is why:

9.5 $ a month. X 12 Months. X 22,300,000 video users 

What does this amount to?

$2,542,200,000 annually.

Two and a half billion dollars. Annually. 

Thats why. 

Hope those class actions go well. 

https://www.classaction.com/news/comcasts-hidden-fees-illegal/

New Poster

Re: Broadcast TV Fee $FIVE FREAKING BUCKS NOW!

My question is simple, my contract says i will be paying 74 dollars until september. Comcast just jacked my broadcast fee from 5 to 7 dollars. so are you abiding by the contract?

Expert

@usmankhan wrote:

My question is simple, my contract says i will be paying 74 dollars until september. Comcast just jacked my broadcast fee from 5 to 7 dollars. so are you abiding by the contract?

Your contract is for the bundle or service [cable tv, internet, home phone, home security] only.  It does not cover equipment rentals, taxes or fees.  So, yes, Comcast is abiding by the contract.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Admin1

Hi usmankhan -- Service Expert Again is correct. All contracts show and state that only your package price is contract protected. Each contract states that equipment, installation, taxes, fees, and other applicable charges are subject to change during the term agreement. Broadcast TV Fee is allowed to change based on that contract language.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

The best way to complain about the Broadcast TV Fee isn't to complain only to Comcast about it, but to complain to your local TV stations and the fees that THEY charge re-broadcasters (like Comcast) to carry their signals. I have absolutely no affiliation to Comcast, or any company actually, I'm just adding information and opinion to the discussion.

Every time they (any local TV station) renegotiate contracts with re-broadcasters, they want more money. If the re-broadcaster refuses to pay more, the local TV station let the current contract expire and then you see no broadcast of that station through that re-broadcaster. We are then also subjected to the on-screen digital ads from the local TV station telling subscribers of a particular service provider to call the provider and complain to them. Nothing is said that the reason this drop will happen is because THEY - the local TV station - want you to pay more money. Re-broadcasters are held hostage by the local TV stations and the only recourse to keep signals continuous is to pay the local TV station the best re-broadcast fee they can negotiate and then to pass that on in an attempt to maintain their margins without reducing services.

Do I like this - no. But I blame the local TV stations for 95% of the problem, not Comcast.

I would have fewer issues with the high fees the local TV station force re-broadcasters to pay if they removed the CONTINUOUS digital ads that appear on the screens almost every second you watch their station.

WE are in fact paying the local TV station to watch their channel and if WE are paying them to watch a "free" broadcast then I DON'T want to see ads on the screen almost 100% of the time!

How many times have you been watching a show and had digital ads run across the bottom 10-20% of the screen about other network shows, most of which you have absolutely no interest in. If we have to pay them then they should reduce the digital ads on the screen or reduce the re-broadcast fee substantially or drop the re-broadcast fee altogether.

Local TV stations won't do anything until people complain directly to them, and that's just not happening. They also don't want you to know how much money they make directly from these re-broadcast fees - they put a clause in the contracts that the re-broadcaster is not allowed to disclose this information.

Have you even thought about the fact that the local TV stations are making YOU pay them money and yet they don't want you to know how much you are paying?

I look through the complaints here and rarely see anyone saying they have complained even once to the source of the charges that go into this fee, which is the local TV stations.

I personally would like complete transparency and see exactly how much EVERY local TV station is making us pay them. This would most likely require a change at the federal level to federal laws. So maybe complaining to your U.S. senators and reps would help also.

The only method to avoid paying the re-broadcast fees at this point is to drop your TV service through a provider and go back to what was done for many years - install a good digital antenna for your area and pick up the free over the air broadcasts.

Regular Visitor

As I've written before, I agree that raising the broadcast fee is unfair when there is a promised "fixed" price for so many months contract in place.  Unfair doesn't mean illegal, Comcast has relatively "smart" lawyers and people and great lobbyists...

BUT even within the Comcast system and under a package/contract -- I believe you can change your service to an Internet only service without paying a penalty.  Call 1-800-COMCAST and tell them you want to change your service to Internet only.  When they tell you what a great deal the other services are, just say "thanks, but I don't want that - I only need Internet service - I don't want any of your other wonderful services - I don't watch cable channels nor local channels nor do I want your phone service nor do I want your home security service, etc, etc"

Personally, I've done that for several household accounts.  
Also, they will try to tell you you "need" fast internet service.  That's up to you.  Fact is, the lowest level service 10Mbps "Performance Starter" is fast enough to enjoy Neflix, Amazon Video, Sling and similar services.  If you want or need more, okay.  If you have several heavy users/streamers in the house maybe you do "need" to go to the next level, 25Mbps....  

Regular Visitor

Agree 100%. But I cut my Xfinity basic cable TV service and am now using internet only and saving 22% on my bills. Shoulda done it long ago
New Poster

Hi, 

I don't have TV service. I am subscribed to Internet service, so I shouldn't be paying the "Broadcast TV Fee," right? 

Regular Visitor

To be sure, you need to look at your bill.  On my bill it was on the second page...

bcastfee.jpg

Again, just because you think you're "not using it", doesn't mean you're not being billed for it.

Gold Problem Solver

estelle777 wrote: ... I don't have TV service ... so I shouldn't be paying the "Broadcast TV Fee," right? 

Correct. They should only charge that fee if you have TV service.

New Poster

This fee is bogus because all TVs were required to buy digital adapters to cont to watch free antenna broadcast TV so why then didn't "they" just charge us this "Broadcast Fee" instead in the first place? That is why this fee is bogus! Give us the option to cancel broadcast TV stations from our channel lineup since we all subscribe to(and are held hostage to paying) your cable stations so we don't have to watch NBC, CBS, ABC etc stations! Direct TV does not include these unless you request them and agree to pay separate charges!  So why doesn't cable company do this?

New Poster

The only way to change bogus utilities fees and govt add on taxes is for us all to boycott our jobs and stop paying taxes! You'll then see changes fast with all the govt/corp rats fleeing from their no longer free lunches from our taxes and thats how to really drain the swamp and then start over, go back to jobs with us tax payers/consumers in charge of what taxes/corp fees we pay and thus hold "powers that be" accountable as to what/how the govt spends our taxes(which is not done now)! 

Regular Contributor

@CCMatthew wrote:

Hello davidnoyb,

The Broadcast TV Fee will increase periodically to defray a portion of the real increases in the cost of retransmission imposed by broadcasters. Our competitors  such as AT&T U-verse, Charter, Cox, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS and WOW also charge this type of fee. If you have any more questions or concerns please reach back out.

So it really is just a line Comcast adds to the bill to get around abiding by the terms of their contracts. I can only hope that the lawyers don't end up with all of the money that should be returned to customers once Comcast loses the class-action lawsuits that have started up to recoup these charges that have been added to our bills. At least you do point out that Comcast is every bit as slimy as their competitors.

Bronze Problem Solver

Hello estelle777, I can look into this for you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your account number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message. Thank you

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

As much as I think it is mainly a problem related to the TV networks themselves, it is getting out of control.

Starting July 2017 they upped the fees $2 each per month.

Broadcast TV Fee                7.00

Regional Sports Fee            5.00

And yes, it is annoying that the fees are charged whether we watch even 1 second from any of the networks that the fees are related to.

My opinion is that all such fees should ONLY be charged IF they disclose what it is we are actually paying for. Currently we get billed these fees and not a single word of explanation for what they really pertain to. Saying they are related to re-broadcasting certain TV networks does NOT provide any detail at all. We should be able to see EXACTLY what TV networks benefit from such high additional charges. TV networks should not be allowed to require this non-disclosure in their contracts with the re-broadcasters.

Each of us should write our federal congress reps and demand they change the laws and require complete disclosure for every add-on fee like these. That way the TV networks cannot get away with demanding re-broadcasters pay them without the billed public knowing about it in detail. If we are asked to pay anything we have a right to know exactly what it is for. Failure to disclose complete fee DETAILS should mean failure to charge the fees.

Regular Visitor

Re: Broadcast TV Fee - alternatives!

1.  Check out http://www.antennaweb.org - there are several similar sites, this one is pretty easy to use and features a map that let's you drag and pin-point your house -- depending on distance to the stations you want - an indoor antenna for less than $15 might do the job for you -- or perhaps you need/want a little more distance and less fiddling - get one with a built in amplifier...  Or put one in the attic or go totally old-school and put one above your roofline and treeline for best results -- and with an amp.....   If there are no big hills between you and the broadcasters, start simple and cheap... One or two months of "broadcast fees" will pay for the antenna.

2. If you are addicted to reality TV or sports channels - and want to continue that unhealthy addiction -- you might still save some bucks going with sling or directvnow or one of the other legitimate cable channels over internet distributors...     (There is also a "grey" market of TV-over-internet providers - I don't recommend them, but I have a friend that wants his Brazilian soccer channels and he gets that + all of the USA channels that way...)

3. Go cold turkey... You don't need to watch all the stuff -- do something else - play with the kids, join a real sports league, read a book or a newspaper!

4. Having chosen 1, 2, and/or 3 call comcast and cancel all services except Internet.

New Poster

Please sign me up for any lawsuits!  I was mislead by Comcast also.  They mentioned nary a word about a Broadcast Fee when they forced me (because bundle, y'all) to include cable TV when I only wanted Internet.  In the two months I've been trapped in the "package," the broadcast fee has gone up from $6.50 a month to now $8.00!  What the?
I do not even watch cable TV!  I haven't even taken that dingdong set top box gizmo out of the dingdong box they sent it in!  

Bronze Problem Solver

Rose20, Fees, surcharges and taxes are not included in your package price and can increase at any time; Comcast has no control over those charges. With that said, I would be happy to explore internet only prices with you so you don't have to pay that fee. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message. Thank you

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!