Community Forum

Broadcast TV Fee

New Poster

Broadcast TV Fee

Well, I have been charged $5 for Broadcast TV fee which i don't even set up or used. And i called customer service and the lady kept talking that there's nothing she can do about that and i will be charged $5 or more monthly.  Imagine that you gonna pay that extra $5 Braodcast TV fee!!! what can i do for that?

Expert

Re: Broadcast TV Fee

Pretty much everyone on cable tv pays the Broadcast TV fee, and it's not just particular to Comcast.  Broadcast stations [your local stations] charge the cable companies fees to carry their programs.  In turn, cable companies pass those fees along to the customers.  All cable tiers carry the broadcast channels.  So, basically, yes, you'll be paying that $5 Broadcast TV fee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Valued Contributor

Dear dudu1,

Again is correct about this fee and here is more information about it. The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that is intended to offset of the rising costs of retransmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations are allowed by the government to charge for their signals, and cable providers like Comcast are required by law to carry those signals and pay substantial fees to broadcasters. In recent years, our cost to retransmit broadcast television signals has more than doubled, and this itemized charge will make it clearer for you to see the factors that are driving price changes. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be happy to assist.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastJoy wrote: ... cable providers like Comcast are required by law to carry those signals  ...

No matter how many times Comcast reps post this lie misinformation, it's still a lie misinformation. Comcast is NOT "required by law" to carry broadcast stations if those stations demand payment for their signals. Carrying such stations is a CHOICE, not a legal requirement.

Comcast has an army of lawyers, why not ask one of them about this?

Regular Visitor

The whole thing appears to be backwards.  Broadcast companies charge cable companies to carry their signals. To cover that, Comcast charges me a $5 monthly fee.  But broadcast companies make money from using producers who find advertisers to pay for the programs with retail advertising revenue...

Cable programmers (HBO, ESPN, SHO etc) don't have retail ads.  They charge cable companies to carry their programs and Comcast charges me for that.  OK..

When I use a taxi to carry me somewhere, I pay the cab company (or driver).  Since broadcast companies derive revenue from program ads, they should be paying Comcast to carry their signals, not the other way around! 

Do I have the right facts or not?

Valued Contributor

hrichardson0,

Here is some information I came across that was posted by ComcastZach:

Federal law allows local U.S. broadcast television stations (i.e., affiliates of networks such as CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.) to negotiate with cable & satellite providers in order to obtain "consent" to carry their broadcast signals (Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992). 

As a direct result of local broadcast, or "network-affiliated," TV stations increasing the rates to cable & satellite providers to distribute their signals to their customers, the providers will be passing those charges on as a Broadcast TV Surcharge or Fee. These local TV signals were historically made available to the providers at no cost, or low cost. However, in recent years the prices demanded by local broadcast TV stations have necessitated that the providers pass these costs on to customers.  

Broadcast TV stations distribute their signals over the air, using free spectrum granted to them by the federal government. In effect, taxpayers are subsidizing the distribution of broadcast, or "network-affiliated," TV signals. These same broadcast TV stations are then allowed by the government to charge the providers for their signals. If the cable or satellite provider doesn't agree to pay, broadcasters can force the provider to drop their channels, thereby adversely impacting the providers customers. 

Broadcast stations have the option of requiring cable & satellite providers to carry their stations for no monthly fee, or opting to negotiate a charge to cable & satellite providers for the right to carry their station. While there may still be some stations that do not demand payment from the providers for carriage, other local TV stations require significant payment from the providers, and it is their charges that are reflected in the Broadcast TV Surcharge or Fee.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be happy to assist.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks but I already read that post.  It says what is happening but not why.  Doesn't address my statement that local broadcast network TV stations make money from ads and charge cable companies for something that costs them nothing.

It appears that Comcast charges its customers for unexplained broadcast TV networks' production costs even though Comcast provides the networks a  free service by relaying their signals to its customers. Normally viewers get those signals

over the air for free.

I want to know why the law allows local broadcast TV stations to charge Comcast for their signals.when the TV spectrums are free and Comcast is doing the heavy lifting for the networks by relaying their signals to us customers.  Does Comcast also make money from the network TV ads? If not then I would expect Comcast to serve its customers' best interests by challenging the section of the Cable Communications Act of 1992 that forces Comcast to pay local network TV stations to provide their signals for free or negotiate rates between them.

Contributor

Re: Broadcast TV Fee $FIVE FREAKING BUCKS NOW!

Okay, I just noticed.  The Freaking  "Broadcast" Fee has recently been upped to FIVE FREAKING BUCKS.

Yeah, I'm late to the party but LET ME REGISTER MY PROTEST!

This is a B.S. Fee.  I signed up for a $69/month plan. Which was $78 after they slapped on various fees of their own design + then

some tax.   Now it's $80.  Okay I knew when I signed up I'd be paying some fees and taxes on top of the adverstised cool $69,

the $78 was surprising, but heh, Comcast is a monopoly.  Especially in my neighborhood, where the phone company can't even give me

1Mbps DSL. (I asked, they sent me a modem and literally laughed at me when I asked why it didn't work!  That's right I got 0Mpbs.

Turns out the DSLAM is 3 miles down the road and the copper is old with who knows how many bad splices so tough luck charlie --

yeah Frontier bought them out but has not made any upgrades in the Danbury-Bethel area of CT.  Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...)

BUT my Comcast bill shouldn't go up just "because" -- it would be one thing if the Govt raised taxes and Comcast passed that along.

But the $5 and other fees, they just make up and I guess slip them by the state utillity regulators, who are no doubt in their pockets anyhow.

Don't be telling me about the Networks, blah, blah, blah --- it's all a ripoff - those network stations are "free to air" still, so the whole cable system is rotten, stupid

for paying any ransom to the networks.  Yeah this has been going on for years... Boo hoo for the local stations ... no not really, those locals are mostly owned

by big corporations these days and they pay off Congress or whoever they need to ...  

And heck, doesn't Comcast own NBC anyhow?  

If I could cancel out the broadcast stations I would.  But I have a freaking $69 bundle.  But heh, that $69 doesn't include the $5, so why can't I cancel

the broadcast stations--- I'd love to... More crud that I never watch anyhow.  

Get a clue -- I watch just about everything over the Comcast Internet service. I only got the "bundle" because that was the cheapest way at the time to get

both Internet and HBO....  

So what do I want?  Honest pricing.  And real competition.

$69 should be $69 and should stay fixed for the life of the contract.  If you can't do it for $69, then quote me $79 and stick to it!

Of course if there were some real competition that $69 would probably be $39.  

Why do I put up with it?  Okay, you got me. I have to admit Comcast Internet at about 100Mbps is pretty good and I do need at least a few Mbps to run my home office, and earn my paycheck, so I can buy groceries, pay the mortgage, and of course the darned cable bill.

Problem Solver

Hi bobTeatow,

I apologize for the frustration you are experiencing with the bill. In January of this year certain fees like Universal Connectivity fee, Regulatory Recovery Fee, Broadcast TV Fee, Regional Sports fee, State communication service tax, Local communication service tax have increased. In December's monthly statement  you will find more information regarding the current price increase. The service price did not change. You are still receiving the Service discount. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Expert
Moved:

Post removed for spamming the forums in violation of Forum Guidelines.

New Poster

I think the real problem everyone is having is not that the services cost money, but when we signed up for the service at $40/mo or whatever and then it's ACTUALLY $47/mo and we have no say in that, then there's a problem.  I feel ripped off.  I will pay for a service, but it is dishonest to advertise a price then charge something else.

But also, the fee is a joke.  I just want internet.  That's all I use.  I do not appreciate my rates going up for something I do not use.

Expert
Moved:

Post removed for circumventing the language filter in violation of the Forum Guidelines.

Contributor

Heh. Apology is nice, but a real apology would be a refund.  This fee is not a tax.  It is a number that comcast makes up to add to my bill, after it is done "negotiating" for retransmission fees with the other giant corporations that own the local tv stations.

The whole idea of a retransmission fee is just plain wrong - but we lost that argument several times - it has been contested.

Doesn't make it morally correct. Doesn't make it logical.  Doesn't make it ethical.  Doesn't make it common sense.

Anyhow even given it is what it is,  once the customer signs a contract for a fixed price - the fixed price ought to stay the same for the length of the contract.    The assertion that comcast is paying more for retransmission isn't my problem...

It's the same as if you agree to mow my lawn every week for a fixed price for a set number of months.   If it rains more or less or the price of fuel goes up or down -- doesn't matter - we had a deal that you would mow my lawn every week for a fixed price...

See? Same. Same. Same.  

YEAH, now I'm sure Comcast is "smarter" than that.  The fixed price isn't really fixed.  Down in the fine print there is no doubt a clause that says certain fees are subject to change... blah blah blah...  That is unethical, because those fees are mostly under the control of Comcast!  Rather than just pass along retransmission fees, Comcast could eat them out of profits, or do what Dish Network does -- fight back and re-negotiate for lower fees.  Heck Comcast is big enough -- they could even demand  fees return to 0, as they were in the early days of "community antenna TV"  OR just stop carrying local stations until those locals cave.  See it makes no sense at all... Let me explain why ...  Those locals make money from carry adverts (and from retransmission fees)...

But if they are not retransmitted, then those adverts are worth that much less to the advertisers, and they local couldn't charge as much for them, so the locals would make less money.  But those greedy locals transmit "free to air" the same content with the same commercials (Let's leave aside Cable ad inserts for the moment...)   If I put up a community antenna and make it easier for you to receive those local stations -- I am doing a favor for those locals!   So why should I pay a retransmission fee?  Well I know the answer is a (bogus in my opinion) copyright argument - that's how the courts have ruled (But courts are not infallible, and not beyond the influence of big money broadcasters)...   And that if those signals were not available then my community antenna would not be as valuable, and you wouldn't want to pay me ... Blah blah blah.... See?

The Cable Company and the Local Stations are really scratching each others' back and then charging the customers for the privilege!!

New Poster

if I have "agreed" to a 24-month contract with the broadcast channels as part of the "bundle service" how does Comcast have the right to raise Broadcast Fees or add Regional Sports Fee; both were part of the original bundle?

the agreement was the pricing will stay the same for the term of the contract; Comcast just add a line item to increase the pricing.

Problem Solver

Hi Brian18,

The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that is intended to offset a portion of the costs of broadcasting multiple regional sports networks to our standard video services. This fee is a result of higher costs due to contractual obligations requiring us to offer multiple regional sports networks to our standard XFINITY TV services. The Regional Sports Fee is not based on if you're watching the sporting events or not, but rather that those sporting channels are available in the package you subscribe to. The Broadcast TV Fee recovers a portion of the costs of retransmitting television broadcast signals as well. Broadcast stations are allowed by the government to charge for their signals, and cable providers like Comcast are required to pay substantial fees in order to carry those signals. In addition, your contract is for your package price and service level. Equipment, taxes, fees, or any discounts associated with your package are subject to change during your 24 month period. This is disclosed in your Terms and Conditions. While we continue to experience increased programming and operating costs, we have worked hard to minimize the impact of price increases by enhancing the value of our programming, as well as by investing in our next-generation technology. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Do Comcast injects their own Ads insted of the broadcast stations? If so, Comcast service area targeted Ads revenues should pay for all. Brocasters are requiring part of the loss in revenues for the amount of monies they are lossing by Comcast targeted Ads. 

New Poster

I keep reading - by commentators and by COMCAST reps alike - that the broadcasters charge fees for cable companies utilizing their signals.  I don't see any reference to those customers who do not want broadcast programs.  I get HBO with COMCAST, and have NetFlix and Amazon Prime.  That's.  All.  I.  Want.  Doesn't that mean I don't need NBC content and therefore shouldn't have to pay for NBC to provide COMCAST with their signal?

Problem Solver

Hi CAboomer,

I apologize for the issue you experiencing with the bill. The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that is intended to offset a portion of the costs of retransmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations have the right to charge for their signals, and cable providers like Comcast end up paying substantial fees in order to carry them. In recent years, our cost to retransmit broadcast television signals has more than doubled, and this itemized charge will make it clearer for you to see the factors that are driving price changes. Broadcast TV fee is applied to all Xfinity TV subscribers.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

That is a great answer and somewhat makes sense if the provider needs additional funds in order to have their signal/program transmited.

I only have a internet connection with comcast, I am absolutly not interested in the provider's television or whatever other advertising/propoganda is being transmitted by them.

In fact I don't even own a television.

Should I still pay someone $5 for no reception/transmission service?

What if I had no relationship with Comcast or any other provider, should I still be required to pay $5 because the provider is having to pay the transmission fee?

The only reason Comcast is able to charge me $5 is because I have an account with them that allows them to add this 'fee'.
Should I not pay this extortion 'fee' I will probably end-up with bad credit, and eventually in jail.

Now that is what you call a free market system.

May the greed overtake your health.

Frequent Visitor

When I see the revenues that Comcast is generating it does not look to me that you are saving us anything. You give people analog box that convert digital signals to analog signals and then you charge them rental fees. Secondly you offer people packages that include basic channels, for free, so you can charge them extra $5 on broadcasting fee . Thirdly your new X1 box is total scam. You are not allowing people to turn off boxes through remote controls? Reason? It is not that box need updates but it is because you want to leave box on so you can claim that people are watching channels and ads even though they are sleeping. Thats is deception. You are deceiving your own advertising costumers. I hope you and your lawyers have disclosed that to them. All these shows watch numbers are inflated nonsense... Comcast has been scaming people for years because you are not competitive, you are not fair and you are MONOPOLY. You change prices when ever you feel like because your CEO is simply put.... greedy. There is a good reason why you are are still one of the top most complaint companies.
New Poster

I called comcast today to complain about the extra charges that are added to the bill. I was told that it was a tax. IT IS NOT A TAX, it is a fee charged by Comcast. They are charging us an extra $8 per month, without giving us any additional services. I believe we have a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

New Poster

In recent years, our cable bill has more than doubled, even without the added fees.

Contributor

I'll say it again:

Once the customer signs a contract for a fixed price - the fixed price ought to stay the same for the length of the contract.    The assertion that comcast is paying more for retransmission isn't my problem...

It's the same as if you agree to mow my lawn every week for a fixed price for a set number of months.   If it rains more or less or the price of fuel goes up or down -- doesn't matter - we had a deal that you would mow my lawn every week for a fixed price...

Official Employee

Hi Joe122, I apologize with the your frustration with the fees like others have stated above The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that is intended to offset a portion of the costs of retransmitting broadcast television signals.

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

This fee is bs.  I was not told about this fee when I signed up for cable tv.  I also was not told about the increase until I aw it on my b ill..   I signed up for a fixe price.  Comcast has renigged on that price.

Problem Solver

Hello davidnoyb,

The Broadcast TV Fee will increase periodically to defray a portion of the real increases in the cost of retransmission imposed by broadcasters. Our competitors  such as AT&T U-verse, Charter, Cox, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS and WOW also charge this type of fee. If you have any more questions or concerns please reach back out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Expert

davidnoyb wrote:

This fee is bs.  I was not told about this fee when I signed up for cable tv.  I also was not told about the increase until I aw it on my b ill..   I signed up for a fixe price.  Comcast has renigged on that price.

Your "fixed" price is for the package, but you might also have a promotion with that package.  If/when the promotion ends, your package price may increase.

Fees, surcharges and taxes are not included in your package price and can increase at any time; Comcast has no control over those charges.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Again wrote: ... Fees, surcharges and taxes are not included in your package price and can increase at any time; Comcast has no control over those charges.

Comcast certainly has control over many of the fees it charges, like the Broadcast TV fee. It decides on and sets that fee and others.

Frequent Visitor

I know these people are comcast employees, but they need to get a clue.  this will make more and more people leave comcast.  Hidden anb unknown fees that keep increasing and comcast spouts bs that they dont control them.

New Poster

This broadcast fee is wrong and they know it. They also add this sports fee....I am not a sports fan and do not watch sports of any kind . Yet we are forced to pay these outlanish prices. Cable company......be honest.... show what local channels in my area charges.

I pay for cable I must be stupid because anything after 2:00AM is info commercials on the majority of channels. Some channels with the same infro commercial. When complaining to cable representatives they say they have no control over the channels and what they show. Then why carry them? They pay the cable company to show their program.  WE pay for programming not commercials. Ever watch those movie channels and how every five minute there is a commercial....it is not right.....a movie that is one and half hour long takes 3 hours. I am not into regulating any business but in this case we need to regulate how the cable company charges for their sevices. Any channel carrying all these infor commercial and stretch a movie out.... the cable customer should be forced to give credit on cable customer bill. We also need to get the cable company to offer cable by channel the cable customer wants and watches.

Regular Contributor

"The Broadcast TV Fee will increase periodically to defray a portion of the real increases in the cost of retransmission imposed by broadcasters. Our competitors  such as AT&T U-verse, Charter, Cox, Time Warner Cable, Verizon FiOS and WOW also charge this type of fee. If you have any more questions or concerns please reach back out."

Not true.  I recently moved and unfortunately no longer can get FiOS but they do not charge this fee.  Claiming that they do-- and that it somehow makes it ok for Comcast to lie about their price-- is wrong.  Seen you use this bad logic before, ComcastMatthew, and two wrongs don't make a right.

Someone mentioned class action, something I recently learned and am glad I did, Comcast forces everyone into arbitration agreements and conveniently exempts themselves from being sued, unless you opt out within 30 days of signing up for Comcast. WWW.COMCAST.COM/ARBITRATIONOPTOUT  It's buried deep in the user agreement (line 13d) but more people need to know this.

And I couldn't agree more with the lawn mowing example.  They've line item given themselves a way to change prices at any time without notice or care.  Not to mention falsely advertising a price only to blame someone else for getting what they really charge (22% increase due only to junk fees) anyway.

Contributor

I have always thought the rebroadcast "fees" to be a very underhanded way of the networks to add net profit without net cost. In other words, without doing anything different they up their fee by 50 cents per month per subscriber to all cable or satellite service providers and immediately see a jump of millions of dollars in net profit per month. What did it cost them - the fees they paid their lawyers to get the increase.

The original reason for allowing the fees related to a fear that cable and satellite service providers might put local stations out of business and the local news would go with that. So the fees were an attempt to allow networks to get some additional revenue that could be used to offset the loss of revenue due to loss of viewers and that revenue could then be used by the network to run the news departments.

Unfortunately big business actually run all the "local" stations and in recent years the revenue generated has not stopped at the local level, but has been forwarded to the corporate level...

And at the same time those corporations have cut the local news staffs...

I also wonder just how much negotiating Comcast does with the NBC network to keep the rebroadcast fee down when it derives direct revenue from those fees as the owners of NBC.

And finally with the advent of digital broadcasts we have seen a substantial increase in advertising. Not only are there the expected ad intermissions but we see digital ads on the screen almost every second!

If we are PAYING for the broadcast can't we expect a reduced amount of ads? The obvious answer is NO.

There has been a fight over releasing just what some of these rebroadcast fees are. Everyone seems to want to see actual numbers. With private companies paying to private companies it has been regarded as a trade secret of sorts and rarely are the actual numbers ever seen by those outside of the negotiations.

But, locally a cable company owned by a tax payer funded entity (PUD) was having the same issues as Dish and others have had in trying to negotiate fees they consider more acceptable (lower) and that whole issue generated a taxpayer request for records. The local PUD said they could not provide the information as it was not allowed to by the contracts they signed. But being a taxpayer funded entity at heart, the local paper said you are required by law to turn over the information if requested. That started a court battle that eventually went to the state supreme court and they decided for the newspaper. So some info was released and it is interesting in that it does show just how much of the increases we see are driven by these rebroadcast fees.

I'm not saying paying an extra $10 per month is fair or right or anything (I hate paying more for what I consider "free" just as much as anyone does) but it does shed light on how the industry works and where the money goes.

Here are a couple links to newspaper articles related to what was released here.

Appeals court sides with The News Tribune in cable contracts case

After 2-year fight, Tacoma releases records confirming huge fee hikes by broadcasters

(hopefully you can open these links and read them, but not sure)

New Poster

The problem I have Mr or Mrs "not a comcast employee", is this is deceptive business practice.  If you say the package is 59.99 then it should be 59.99, not 59.99 plus a 5 dollar "fee", that I need to do my business.  When you say the package is 59.99 plus taxes and fees, that means in customary language that the taxes and fees are regulatory fees per the fcc and state, federal and local taxes, not a 10% secret premium increase to get more money for my fat cow of a company.  I realize mr roberts is a multi billionaire and needs to stock his wine cellar with petrus and DRC, but he shouldn't do it through deceptive business practices.  If he needs that 5 dollars to keep his lifestyle going then he should just say the package is 64.99 and move on with life.  I find comcast to be a slimy company, if it was a human and not a multinational corportation, I am quite sure it would be strange, creepy old man that molests children. Mr Roberts and comcast is violating mitzvah with their/his business practice.  There is no other way to see this.   

New Poster

theft by deception?

New Poster

hahah why dont you CON cast folks just make it easy on your selves and just copy and paste what the last rep said

New Poster

My broadcast fee went from $3.75 to $6.50 (73% increase).  They also increased the franchise from $0.94 to $1.01 (7% increase).  

My bill listed only one of these increases, the smaller franchise fee.  The larger broadcast fee increase was not even mentioned.  

I was annoyed that the price went up.  I was far more annoyed that no reason was given for the bulk of the increase.

Now my "$69.99 package" costs $78.58.  And they're surprised when we complain.

Regular Contributor

LOL now effective 12/20 Broadcast TV Fee will be $7.00 monthly (40% increase), Regional Sports Fee will be $3.50 monthly (17% increase), so now the "advertised price" is $10.50 more FOR NOTHING DIFFERENT IN SERVICE and NO way to avoid the "fees" (translation: cost of service).

I stopped coming to this board when I was chased off once before for speaking the truth, and probably won't come back again, but look what XFINITY is doing to us.  Chained to a contract with prices of made-up fees "subject to change" and now they are stealing another $42 from me every year I am chained to their ridiculously biased contracts.

Sorry your costs went up, Comcast.  Sorry WE HAD A CONTRACT.  Sorry you can't make as much profit off of us as you wanted.  But my disdain for you only grows the more you itemize out YOUR overhead costs onto us, the consumer.

What a joke.

Frequent Visitor

It's time to call you goverment representatives. We should start petition and take these idiots to court like other states have done.... Comcast is beginning to terrorize their costumers. I switched off my TV because of these fd up tactics they use. They just increased plans $5 all across. It's time to regulate these idiots because they really deserve it. Talk to your goverment officials, town official, start petition.... Comcast is un-American corporation, have no morals and no decency.

Regular Visitor

Broadcast TV Fee $SEVEN FREAKING BUCKS NOW!

Same arguments, all the more so.  

And to add insult to injury -- Even though my account at my summer house is on "seasonal" -- Comcast and I agree that I am not using it until at least April -- they are charging me $8 to hold the account open + the $7 broadcast fee!!

Even if Comcast is the only game in town -- I think for many of us who can live without "reality" TV and other garbage on the 100 channels you never watch -- we're better off with OTA (antenna) and/or Netflix and/or one of the other streaming services and/or Redbox.

F___ Comcast!

New Poster

Broadcast TV fee - $5
Regional sports fee $3

I never agreed to these and, I assumed the additional amount was taxes because I had gone paperless.I was never informed of these charges

Franchise Fee - ranges from $3-5
PEG Access Support - ranges from $.71-1.10

These 2 fees change from bill to bill. I have no idea how they are priced, but they should not be changing each bill....That is very suspricious. Again a charge I never agreed to or even knew about.

There is a class action lawsuit against comcast. I will not give my money to this company anymore. This is blatant fraud.

Regular Visitor

non obvious Fees and taxes

"Paperless" is not a problem.  You can download and view PDFs of all your bills for the last 12 or more months. 

Read 'em and weep.  

Can't change them, but you can see how the various bogus fees, taxes, add-ons you didn't realize you "agreed to" add up.

Frequent Visitor

No one is increasing anything... that is total nonsense... show me the bill? Show me that you fee went up 40%? You cant

Regular Visitor

Yup, now I feel worse!  7/5 = 1.40 ...   a 40% increase in that single fee.  I'm not making this stuff up. If you're in another marketing zone, your fees may be different -- but they're all headed in the same direction: up!  Even if you thought you had a fixed rate contract - Comcast writes those "contracts" - so that they can change the fees anytime they feel like it...  These are not taxes or government fees - they are numbers that Comcast just makes up... Supposedly after re-negotiating so call re-broadcast fees that they pay to TV stations -- including the ones they own! 

New Poster

Comcast has snow raidsed the broadacast TV fee by 40% in one fell swoop.  It's now $7 per month--at least until they raise it again.

Regular Visitor

Re: Broadcast TV Fee -- cut it!

I believe that IF you stick to Comcast Internet only service -- then you "only" pay the internet fee.  
I'm getting along just fine in my winter house with 25Mbps Internet only service.  Just for fun I hooked up a $10 rabbit ear style antenna and get a dozen or so honest-to-goodness "Broadcast" Over-the-air stations absolutely for free.

Streaming (Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) over internet works fine, even for two (maybe more!) separate streams...

And if you have a choice of internet providers -- then you can dump Comcast when the bill gets too high -- In my new neighborhood we have a choice AT&T or Comcast -- They are BOTH terrible companies!!  Yikes.  So I intend to just look for the best deal and switch back and forth, if necessary, ...  AT&T claims to do 24Mbps ...

If you can stick with just internet + OTA -- then DO NOT let Comcast "con you with the line "for only $10 more you can have all these TV stations and cable channels - without an antenna..."   BECAUSE to the $10 you will find the Broadcast Fee ($7) + Cable Box rental fees + misc fees, taxes, assorted BS...  and soon you're paying way more than you thought you "bargained" for.

New Poster

This whole thing is crazy to me, my fees just increaded to $7/montly for "Broadcast TV Fee" which is absurd!  Why not offer it as an option, the same as Dish Network did, where I used to live.  You paid an extra $5/monthly to get all your local market channels delivered to you in HD without an off-air antenna.  The whole thing just makes me sick that we are FORCED into paying for something we don't always want or need.  Not to mention, if I don't pay an extra $10/month, I don't get my locals in HD anyway.  Oh, you wanted them in HD on ALL your TVs, well then that is extra also for additonal boxes!  The crazy part is, I purchased a nice antenna, mounted it in my attic, and installed a splitter, get ALL the channels for free over the air waves like they used to be, in high definition I might add, all for one upfront cost of equipment and my time.  Yet, I am still obligated to pay Comcast to deliver a poorer quality service to my TVs, through their equipment, because they claim they are obligated to pay the broadcast companies??

Please, sign me up for the class action lawsuit I think every customer should be able to join... 

Regular Visitor

Well I am going to call and find out because I only have Internet and Home through Xfinity yet I am still getting gigged for both the Broadcast and RSN charges which is $12....when I down graded to Internet and Home only I was quoted $114.89 plus tax....New bill $154...$40 worth of fees and taxes....and the State TV Sales tax went up ( granted only about ..20 but still...)...I will let you know how it turns out

Contributor

I'm all for more lawsuits and regulations against Comcast. But the reality is they are HUGEly powerful, and they have no problem spending huge amounts of money to lobby (bribe!) congressmen and the FCC, to write the laws and rules to make things like the "broadcast tv fee" completely legal!  

Thank goodness there still are some choices.  The simplest is to CANCEL any TV subscription services you currently have that include the Broadcast fee.

If you have or can have an antenna system that works for you, great, use it.  

Even if you don't you can choose the most cost effective internet provider and then buy the video services you want...

Personally, I don't regularly watch any of the regular network or local programming -- so the heck with that.

I do use Amazon video for movies...  both prime subscription and ala carte rentals.

Plenty of news, of all ilks available, both text and video on various websites and youtube, much for "free", some via subscriptions...

If you really want the standard cable channel content - there are now several "over the top" (Internet streaming) services -- so have at it...

Problem Solver

Hello Floogen6,

I have looked into your bill for you, as you expressed concern about being charged for the Broadcast TV fee even though you do not have cable service. I see that you just recently dropped the cable service, and the most current bill does not yet reflect that change. On this particular bill, the cable service is still listed, which is the reason why you are still seeing the Broadcast TV Fee. The changes will reflect on your next bill, and you will see prorated credits from the change. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us on the forums.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

$7 Broadcast TV Fee AND I DON'T EVEN USE THE BOX

I'd like to know why it is that I'm being charged a $7 monthly fee for broadcast services.  Currently, my subscription includes basic tv & internet.  I only subscribed to this package because it's cheaper than internet alone.  Go figure!

Anyway, I completely disconnected my set top box and would like to return it, since I no longer feel the need to use it after Comcast advised me that they're going to charge me an HD (high definition) fee,  

I don't need or want the desk top box.  I don't need or want basic tv service.

In fact, I get better signal using my "OTA" (over the air) antenna.  Better signal, more consistent picture quality, not rendered down whatsoever like Comcast does.  A TRUE digital signal FOR FREE!

So, why am I paying a digital broadcast fee if I;m not using COMCAST as the go between anymore?  

Let me drop off my box, keep my internet, and get on with my life.  I feel like I'm being nickel and dimed to death over here.  You don't provide me with my digital programming, so don't try to assess me for it.  Not fair at all.