Community Forum

Broadcast TV Fee Increase

Highlighted
New Poster

Broadcast TV Fee Increase

I am trying to dispute the increase in the "Broadcast V Fee" on my bill, but I am unable to contact anyone in customer service. I never agreed to this fee increase. I don't think I should be held to the terms of my contract if Comcast is going to change the terms mid-way through.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Broadcast TV Fee Increase

@mlilley1 wrote:

I am trying to dispute the increase in the "Broadcast V Fee" on my bill, but I am unable to contact anyone in customer service. I never agreed to this fee increase. I don't think I should be held to the terms of my contract if Comcast is going to change the terms mid-way through.

You should go to the Xfinity web site, log into your account and read the service documents you agreed to when starting service. 

See item 4 at  https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Broadcast fee

I went back two years of statements.  Every Jan, there is an increase in rates with the Broadcast fee, equipment fee and taxes.   My complaint is with the Broadcast fee.  The fine line on the statement going back to Jan. states it is for the Music Choice service.  I never authorized this as part of my service, I want it removed, and I want a credit on my bill.  Unfortunately, I get no where when asking to speak to an agent.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Everybody got the Broadcast Fee increase, not just you. Fees are not included in the set prices of service.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Broadcast fee

@pa5vular wrote: ... My complaint is with the Broadcast fee.  The fine line on the statement going back to Jan. states it is for the Music Choice service. ...

Could you post that line here? As long as you have TV service, they'll charge you the Broadcast TV Fee, which has nothing to do with Music Choice. The only way to avoid the fee is to cancel TV service altogether. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/most-common-taxes-fees-surcharges-on-your-bill.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have basic cable.  Then explain to me why the Broadcast Fee jumped from $8.50 per month to $13.45 per month.  Equipment goes up $1 to $2 every year, tax climbs a little every year.  But a Broacast Fee?   Especially when I have basic cable??  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

In the 90s, local broadcasters lobbied for the right to charge retransmission fees to cable and satellite companies and the rates keep going up. Based on something I googled up that was written last year "by 2020 a local station will be receiving an average of $2.10 per month, per subscriber". Multiply that by the number of local stations and it starts to become real money. And, of course, a company likes to make a profit on its costs, so the price to us would expected to be higher than what Comcast is paying.

The reason these stations have so much leverage is that they just withhold their programming, blame the cable or satellite company and let all the customers complain about how they just lost the one channel they can't live without. Cable company gives in. Customers are happy. Then price goes up and customers scream at the cable company for that. Even though 6 months before they were saying: pay whatever they want!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@strega7 wrote:

In the 90s, local broadcasters lobbied for the right to charge retransmission fees to cable and satellite companies and the rates keep going up. Based on something I googled up that was written last year "by 2020 a local station will be receiving an average of $2.10 per month, per subscriber". Multiply that by the number of local stations and it starts to become real money. And, of course, a company likes to make a profit on its costs, so the price to us would expected to be higher than what Comcast is paying.

The reason these stations have so much leverage is that they just withhold their programming, blame the cable or satellite company and let all the customers complain about how they just lost the one channel they can't live without. Cable company gives in. Customers are happy. Then price goes up and customers scream at the cable company for that. Even though 6 months before they were saying: pay whatever they want!

The problem is the fee is double dipping if you ask me. We already get local channels included on pretty much every channel package out there. So to charge us for what the cable company pays them ON TOP OF the monthly fees for the channel lineup we're paying for is obscene. <Edited>

I myself could go without a dedicated TV service right now as the few shows I watch are all on a hiatus for however long or they're available over the air with an antenna. Even the ones on cable channels I could find through alternate methods like streaming directly from the channels own website. For example Adult Swim actually unlocked the first half of the current season of Rick & Morty for even non TV subscribers.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:
Fees are not included in the set prices of service.

They should be though. We shouldn't be on the hook a SECOND time to pay this or any company back for what they're paying other companies for content. I know I for one would be overjoyed if they blacked out every single sports channel in my current package AND removed that $9 or so 'regional sports fee' because I never watch them and do NOT want to. Yet I'm paying for channels I'll NEVER watch.

As it is the local channels and/or these sports channels are included in most (if not all) of the channel packages so the cost for them is already there in what we're paying for these blocks of channels we can't choose ala carte. So this company and any others charging these fees are double dipping. <Edited>. Mind you the ONLY reason we're still a household with any pay TV service is because my family isn't tech savvy enough to use video sites and apps that exist for free (with ads) content out there. If it was just me by myself I would ditch the $100+ a month cable in a second.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yeah, they could just add the broadcast fee and the regional sports fee to the basic price, but I think they have 2 reasons for not doing so: 1: Because they want you to see where the money is going (some people I think assume rebroadcasting locals is still free – like it was for decades) and 2: Others do it and people shop for price.  Dish network allows you to drop the local channels.  I wonder how many of their customers do that.

Highlighted
New Poster

I would like to know if the Broadcast fee is the same for everyone?