Community Forum

Bogus Reason for Service Shutdown or Employee Was Lying - Can Anybody Figure This Out?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Bogus Reason for Service Shutdown or Employee Was Lying - Can Anybody Figure This Out?

Internet service was cut back in October of 2019 due to a supposed balance on another account - this was after only receiving 3 days of internet service. Fast forward to about a week ago, I got an email saying that I was being charged a $100 late fee and I decided to chat with a Comcast representative to get it sorted out.

Also, let me point something out...  My balance would be $0.00 if not for the equipment fee. So, barring that inconsistency...  can anyone explain how that before I got charged the equipment return fee, my balance would have been zero... So, why wasn't I able to get service since October?

Now, it's his claim that if I return the modem that they will waive the $100 equipment fee and that I should be good to start another account with them. I even asked him to double-check and absolutely make sure that there was no other accounts or balances tied to either my name or address, and he repeatedly gave me his word that once I return the equipment I will be good.

This isn't the first time that I've gone through this process, and I want this to be the last time I do so. I've even saved the transcipt from the chat so I have this employee ON RECORD saying that there were no other accounts, balances, or possible issues that should spring up should I repeat this whole headache again.

I have NO problem returning the equipment and going through the process again, but is there anyway that I can be assured that they will have to stick by what their Billing Department's representative literally and repeatedly assured me was the case? Or, is it going to be a case of an executive reaching out to offer a condescending and half-hearted 'fix' that amounted to nothing but the current headache and a complaint to the FCC?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Bogus Reason for Service Shutdown or Employee Was Lying - Can Anybody Figure This Out?

@Esper18 wrote:

Internet service was cut back in October of 2019 due to a supposed balance on another account - this was after only receiving 3 days of internet service. Fast forward to about a week ago, I got an email saying that I was being charged a $100 late fee and I decided to chat with a Comcast representative to get it sorted out.

Also, let me point something out...  My balance would be $0.00 if not for the equipment fee. So, barring that inconsistency...  can anyone explain how that before I got charged the equipment return fee, my balance would have been zero... So, why wasn't I able to get service since October?

Now, it's his claim that if I return the modem that they will waive the $100 equipment fee and that I should be good to start another account with them. I even asked him to double-check and absolutely make sure that there was no other accounts or balances tied to either my name or address, and he repeatedly gave me his word that once I return the equipment I will be good.

This isn't the first time that I've gone through this process, and I want this to be the last time I do so. I've even saved the transcipt from the chat so I have this employee ON RECORD saying that there were no other accounts, balances, or possible issues that should spring up should I repeat this whole headache again.

I have NO problem returning the equipment and going through the process again, but is there anyway that I can be assured that they will have to stick by what their Billing Department's representative literally and repeatedly assured me was the case? Or, is it going to be a case of an executive reaching out to offer a condescending and half-hearted 'fix' that amounted to nothing but the current headache and a complaint to the FCC?

When you say, "due to a supposed balance on another account" was this your account or someone else's account?  Had you recently moved into the place you're living in at the time?  If so, your service was shut off because the previous tenent owed money on their account.  An account isn't just tied to a person, but to a residence as well.  All that needed to be done was to show proof of residency and your service would have been turned back on.  Since you didn't return the modem - probably thinking your service would be turned back on soon - you've been charged for it monthly and now owe the rental fee plus late fees.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!