Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Additional cost of keeping an X1 Box plus Roku Ultra and a Tivo...

New Poster

Additional cost of keeping an X1 Box plus Roku Ultra and a Tivo...

Hi. I recently got talked into upgrading my service. It appealed so I did. I was told I could use Roku boxes in every room to avoid additional fees. So I got two Roku Ultras. I installed one and the other sits in it's package awaiting it's fate. I also looked into buying a Tivo with Lifetime service already attached to avoid even more fees. I looked into what I would need for it and it says a cable card. Cool, I looked into that because I really want to switch away from X1. My DVR has been more than 3/4s full for over a year because there are shows my family refuses to part with. I want the Tivo ability to download (or store way more). I was going to keep the DVR for the next year because it would be free while I did my best to rerecord onto Tivo the shows they don't want to lose. In doing my homework I came across mentions of additional outlet charges. So I read about those and called Comcast. They said there would be no additional fees but looking deeper I see other people who heard the same and got charged anyway. My current cost is literally the limit of what I will pay. The absolute roof. So, is there someone who really knows?

The Roku Ultra currently uses the Xfinity Stream app beta. When it leaves beta there will be a fee? Or is there one now? If so when and what?

Is Tivo requesting a cable card going to cost me $9.95 - $2.50 own equipment credit i.e $7.45 a month? I have read if you have a card in the X1 Box you can't even have a Tivo at the same time, though what I read did not explain why.

I need to ease my family away from the X1 box but right now I am seriously considering calling back and just dropping down to Internet alone and going for Slingbox and all those alternative streaming options.

Additional fee-wise, what am I honestly looking at? I have zero desire to call back Comcast and play find the human. I just want to know what I am looking at, really looking at.

New Poster

Re: Additional cost of keeping an X1 Box plus Roku Ultra and a Tivo...

Sighs. Hours of customer service chat later and I have my answer. I am posting it for others who wonder as well. The Rokus without cable cards will have no charge. Any Tivo (in addition to the current X1 box) will cost $9.95 a month if it also gets a cable card.