Community Forum

streaming beta

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

streaming beta

To someone who is actually using the Xfinity stream as an added channel on Roku.  What is the advantage of having this?  Can using this app reduce my bill in any way or eliminate my cable box?  It seems to be redundant but doesn't allow me to search across cable and Netflix for example.  If I search Netflix on Roku for Get Out it does not find the Comcast listing. It seems to provide an extra place to search and I already have that with the cable box (not X1).  I know Comcast will be charging me for this enhancement if they aren't already.  Why should I use it?

Expert

Re: streaming beta


@cambridge wrote:

To someone who is actually using the Xfinity stream as an added channel on Roku.  What is the advantage of having this?  Can using this app reduce my bill in any way or eliminate my cable box?  It seems to be redundant but doesn't allow me to search across cable and Netflix for example.  If I search Netflix on Roku for Get Out it does not find the Comcast listing. It seems to provide an extra place to search and I already have that with the cable box (not X1).  I know Comcast will be charging me for this enhancement if they aren't already.  Why should I use it?


for the short term it is free and can replace a set top box. when out of beta there will be an outlet charge (amount not announced). It has full HD. I've used it two times during x1 service (set top box) outage where internet was working fine and it was great to have it continue to play channels on TV that would have been impossible without the Roku.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: streaming beta

So if I understand correctly this can replace my cable box but I will then not have a DVR function.  How much would Comcast reduce my bill if I no longer have the box? 

Expert

Re: streaming beta


@cambridge wrote:

So if I understand correctly this can replace my cable box but I will then not have a DVR function.  How much would Comcast reduce my bill if I no longer have the box? 


you must have at least one working sert top box in the home to use Roku devices while it is in beta. the roku has no 'remote' record capability (same as smart devices). having a DVR or not having a DVR does not affect your Roku service. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: streaming beta

OK I understand that if I eliminate my cable box I will not have a DVR function.  How much would Comcast reduce my bill if I no longer have the box? 

Expert

Re: streaming beta


@cambridge wrote:

OK I understand that if I eliminate my cable box I will not have a DVR function.  How much would Comcast reduce my bill if I no longer have the box? 


you would need to contact billing or customer service or i could ask if you like that an official employee contact you in this thread. Many packages include the first box (not a DVR). 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!