Community Forum

compromised system symptom <User Deleted> message in Activiity Log

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

compromised system symptom <User Deleted> message in Activiity Log

I called tech support 3 times today and never received a callback.  My problem:  Although my Home security system was already disabled, I noticed the following message in my Activity Log:

"Security System Disarmed by <User Deleted> with touchscreen" along with the timestamp.  I was in the same room as my touchscreen at the time and it was not being used or accessed remotely from the Home app on my mobile device, the touchscreen was simply showing the Weather app at the time.  The next day, I cycled power to the touchpad and confirmed proper functions of the system as a whole.  I called tech support 3 times and they remotely checked and reset the system, but they didn't have any explanation and never called me back as promised.  As an electrical engineer myself, my only conclusion is that the system was compromised remotely by a known security flaw which XFINITY is aware of but chooses not to share because there are several similar Posts here with the the same <User Deleted> part in the message.   My experiments show that there is no way to reproduce the <User Deleted> message myself by either disabling the system from a remote device using the Home app, or from the Touchscreen.  I'd love to be able to get into the settings of the Touchscreen to investigate further, but XFINITY intentionally prevents customers from accessing this.  In addition, the small XFINITY Netgear wifi router provided with the system is also unavailable to customers to manage, and it broadcasts wifi network ID apparently using the same generic wifi network name for all customers (not very secure).  Overall this HOME security system is not very good, the technician's setup for it is horribly generic, and the technical customer support for it is bad.  Therefore I plan to cancel my service soon as a result and gladly pay the $$ penalty for early cancellation.  I'd rather do that than be a house-theft or camera-privacy victim from a remotely compromised system.

image.png

Frequent Visitor

Re: compromised system symptom <User Deleted> message in Activiity Log

Update: Well, it's day2 (over 24 Hours later) and still no callback from Xfintiy technical support about my open issue.  What a joke.  Called again just now to get the service ticket number (CR621170403) because this might take days and having the ticket number can help avoid the "let's just start over from the beginning" requests from any rookie technical support team members unwilling to read all the notes on my account.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Day 3, and still no callback.  So I called them and they still don't know (or want to share) what the problem is.  So I put them on 24H-notice of my HOME service cancelation if I don't get a callback on Day 4 with an answer.  Absolutely terrible technical support.  I plan to share this experience on social media and warn others about HOME.

Frequent Visitor

Update:  still nothing...no response from tech support.  No response here either.  I've finished researching other commercial security systems that I am going to use after I get rid of this terrible HOME system.

New Poster

This exact thing happened to me this evening. Any resolution to this? I too was sitting in same room with an unarmed system when I heard the touch screen beep once and then the user deleted message showed up on my log.
New Poster

I was told as of 2 months ago they no longer charge to cancel early. Worth a shot. We're likely be cancelling due to this.
New Poster

I just had the same thing happen. I saw that there was going to be an update to the touchscreen settings and wonder if this is related.

Official Employee

Thank you all for reaching out & letting us know what you're experiencing on your touchscreens. We've pulled up your accounts & have already begun looking into this.  We will provide you updates as we have them.

Thanks!

Rachel

Frequent Visitor

Worthless customer support, nobody has called me back with a solution to my original post here.  Now Rachel says in the post above that they are "checking into it"....what a joke.  Just admit it XFINITY...you can't keep the hackers out of our HOME systems.  Everybody should cancel the service.

Frequent Visitor

Still no solution or callback, what a joke,