Community Forum

Xfinity TV app not able to view live TV from non-comcast network

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Xfinity TV app not able to view live TV from non-comcast network

SO, I have this xfinity TV app on my iphone.   Works fine at my home.   Works fine when I am mobile and using my Verizon data plan.    However, I was at a friends house a week or so ago that had Time Warner cable and the Xfinity TV app would not let me watch live TV when connected to his Time Warner network. 

The app launched, I was able to see the listing of channels and shows, but when I picked a channel (ABC or NBC or whatever) I received an error in blue print that said something along the lines of "This is only available on your home network"

There were some TV GO shows I was able to see.  None were live and all looked to be re-runs on various channels (FOX news, TNT, TBS, whatever),

I thought my phone was messed up so my friend and I went to his PC and brough up the Xfinity.com website and I signed in and clicked Live TV and had the same result.   Was able to sign in, get a listing of the shows and channels, but when I picked a live channel I received the same error. 

This app is billed as TV anywhere but, it doesn't appear to be really anywhere. Maybe anywhere Comcast is but not really anywhere.  Is comcast enforcing some sort of rights management and not allowing live content to be broadcast over non-comcast cable TV networks?  

I have called the Xfinity tech support people on this. I was bounced around between the Interent and TV supoprt folks a few times. Neither side knew what was going on and really had trouble understanding what I was explaining and had no solutions.

Expert

Re: Xfinity TV app not able to view live TV from non-comcast network

Phobos wrote:

SO, I have this xfinity TV app on my iphone.   Works fine at my home.   Works fine when I am mobile and using my Verizon data plan.    However, I was at a friends house a week or so ago that had Time Warner cable and the Xfinity TV app would not let me watch live TV when connected to his Time Warner network. 

The app launched, I was able to see the listing of channels and shows, but when I picked a channel (ABC or NBC or whatever) I received an error in blue print that said something along the lines of "This is only available on your home network"

There were some TV GO shows I was able to see.  None were live and all looked to be re-runs on various channels (FOX news, TNT, TBS, whatever),

I thought my phone was messed up so my friend and I went to his PC and brough up the Xfinity.com website and I signed in and clicked Live TV and had the same result.   Was able to sign in, get a listing of the shows and channels, but when I picked a live channel I received the same error. 

This app is billed as TV anywhere but, it doesn't appear to be really anywhere. Maybe anywhere Comcast is but not really anywhere.  Is comcast enforcing some sort of rights management and not allowing live content to be broadcast over non-comcast cable TV networks?  

I have called the Xfinity tech support people on this. I was bounced around between the Interent and TV supoprt folks a few times. Neither side knew what was going on and really had trouble understanding what I was explaining and had no solutions.

it is 'tv on any device in your home'. Some tvgo chans are available and the number has grown over time. you can set a filter to see only the items available outside of the home. You can also download to iOS and android devices to watch anywhere without internet needed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

But it works from more network than my comcast one at home.    I haved use this at McDonalds and they are AT&T.  I think I have used the Xfinity TV app to watch Live TV from a hotel or 2 and who knows what internet provider they have.  It also works from cell networks like Tmobile and Verizon. 

The Xfinity tech support folks  (A supervisor called me) did confirm this is TV ANYWHERE and did say they are not blocking access. They said as long as I am a customer and sign in (which I do sign in on my Xfinity TV App), I should be able to watch live TV from any network. 

As for the filter, I can filter for TV GO and those TV GO channels (reruns and no LIVE tv) work on Time warner.  

Personally, I think it's Time Warner  (A Cable TV company) blocking access to TV shows on another cable TV provider, or Comcast wanting you to be at home to watch this.  But if I have to be at home it's not really TV anywhere now is it?

Official Employee

Phobos wrote:

But it works from more network than my comcast one at home.    I haved use this at McDonalds and they are AT&T.  I think I have used the Xfinity TV app to watch Live TV from a hotel or 2 and who knows what internet provider they have.  It also works from cell networks like Tmobile and Verizon. 

The Xfinity tech support folks  (A supervisor called me) did confirm this is TV ANYWHERE and did say they are not blocking access. They said as long as I am a customer and sign in (which I do sign in on my Xfinity TV App), I should be able to watch live TV from any network. 

As for the filter, I can filter for TV GO and those TV GO channels (reruns and no LIVE tv) work on Time warner.  

Personally, I think it's Time Warner  (A Cable TV company) blocking access to TV shows on another cable TV provider, or Comcast wanting you to be at home to watch this.  But if I have to be at home it's not really TV anywhere now is it?

The rights to stream content outside the home (called "TV Everywhere" rights by the industry or "TV Go" in the app) are separately negotiated from the rights to stream while connected to your in-home XFINITY Internet network. We have up to nearly 200 live TV channels (depending on your subscription) which can be found using the "Available out of home" filter. You should be able to watch these with any solid, US-based Internet provider (you may need to enable cellular use in "Settings"). We certainly don't prohibit use from TimeWarner Cable's connections (we love when our customers show off the app to friends!). 

Local broadcast stations (ABC, NBC) are unique in that we only have rights for the stations that are owned by the parent network, not the affiliates except in a couple, rare exceptions. These ABC and NBC stations only appear in your "Available out of home" section if your home market is one that is included (Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco and etc.). The ability to actually watch the ABC and NBC stations is dependent on your physical location (determined through GPS for mobile or IP for web) since local broadcasters own the "local" rights and don't allow distribution of content from outside that market. 

The only blocking that happens by Comcast outside of what I described above is that we restrict Live TV to customers when outside the USA because our distribution agreements only cover US distribution. You can, however, download select On Demand and Cloud DVR recordings for playback anywhere - even when offline.  We also prohibit playback when your mobile device is connected to an external display such as HDMI, AirPlay or GoogleCast due to contractual restrictions around protecting content copying.

Hope this helps clear it up.

-ComcastDan

New Poster

Thanks.     I will be at my sisters house tomorrow doing some home improvements for her and she is on AT&T. This will be a good chance for me to get my iphone on her wifi network   to test can see what I can get and what I can't as far as Live Streams go. 

So, the TV Anywhere is really not "ANYWHERE" as it seems some of the live streams are restricted. 

Official Employee

Phobos wrote:

Thanks.     I will be at my sisters house tomorrow doing some home improvements for her and she is on AT&T. This will be a good chance for me to get my iphone on her wifi network   to test can see what I can get and what I can't as far as Live Streams go. 

So, the TV Anywhere is really not "ANYWHERE" as it seems some of the live streams are restricted. 

It is anywhere but not everything. Trust me, if we could we would. The complexity of the entertainment industry is mind boggling. Cloud DVR opens up a lot of options as do downloads when out of the country. 

Let us know how it goes at your sister's house and good luck with the home improvements. You're a better brother than I. 

New Poster

Same issue .... the tvgo channels as well as recorded shows are not showing. I have uninstalled an reinstalled the app with no chamge