Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Stream app stopped working for local channels this morning

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Stream app stopped working for local channels this morning

I've been using the stream app for a while now on an ipad mini. It's great for my office as I don't have a TV or box in that room. Never any issues until today when I tried to watch my local Fox channel. The app says I need to connect to my home network for this to work. Well I am at home and nothing with my network has changed!

I deleted, reinstalled and signed back into the app and it still won't work. I can watch NBC or ABC but no other locals. The app opened this morning and prompted me to accept location services. Not sure if it's related....

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Stream app stopped working for local channels this morning

Hometech wrote:

I've been using the stream app for a while now on an ipad mini. It's great for my office as I don't have a TV or box in that room. Never any issues until today when I tried to watch my local Fox channel. The app says I need to connect to my home network for this to work. Well I am at home and nothing with my network has changed!

I deleted, reinstalled and signed back into the app and it still won't work. I can watch NBC or ABC but no other locals. The app opened this morning and prompted me to accept location services. Not sure if it's related....

This happened to me last week, after checking all my hardware, I called support and aked for them to refresh my account and everything started working.

New Poster

Did you call the regular 800 number for resi service?

Bronze Problem Solver

Hometech wrote:

Did you call the regular 800 number for resi service?

I went here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/

Clicked "Get a Call" so they called me, so I didn't have to wait on hold.

Problem Solver

Yeah, in-homeness isn't controlled by the app itself, but by services the app relies on, so it's not surprising that an uninstall/reinstall didn't fix it. If you haven't changed equipment recently, something else is going on. As for why NBC and ABC continue to work, it's likely that you're being pivoted to the TV Go versions of those local channels. (You live in a market where NBC and ABC have "owned and operated" stations, and those stations are therefore available out of home as well as in home. We don't have agreements to support Fox owned and operated local stations out of home yet, afaik, so there's no TV Go channel to pivot to in that case.)

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I've been on hold for about 1/2 hour now waiting for tier 2 support. Luckily I work from home...

The first CSR I spoke to says she reset my system, but I didn't see anything reboot. I didn't look at my modem, which I own, to see if it rebooted but didn't see a drop in service from my laptop or desktop. Wondering if their gonna tell me I need their gateway router in order for this to work again.

I ran a system refresh from my DVR which didn't do anything. Closed/reopen app nothing. Reinstalled app nothing.

@comcastlorihc

If comcast is going to change my access to certain channels shouldn't I get a notification or some kind of heads up that I'm losing those services? The app says "available to watch in home only" not this channel is no longer available due to out agreements with broadcasters or whatnot. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Hometech wrote:

I've been on hold for about 1/2 hour now waiting for tier 2 support. Luckily I work from home...

The first CSR I spoke to says she reset my system, but I didn't see anything reboot. I didn't look at my modem, which I own, to see if it rebooted but didn't see a drop in service from my laptop or desktop. Wondering if their gonna tell me I need their gateway router in order for this to work again.

I ran a system refresh from my DVR which didn't do anything. Closed/reopen app nothing. Reinstalled app nothing.

When I had the problem, the rep did a refresh of my account in their backend, as she put it. Rebooting modem, and all the other things did nothing untill I asked her to do the refresh

Problem Solver

No access to your channels changed. SF/SJ ABC and NBC local channels have been available both in home and out of home for more than a year. The local Fox station is only available in home. That's all I'm saying. 

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Hung up and called back. Got non-english tier 1 who tried to reset my account and equipment. Again didn't see anything reset on my end

I'm now being told that Comcast has revoked access to these channels due to legal reasons which would mean others in the bay area and possibly beyond are going to see the same thing. Can't get a straight answer when it will be back up

I checked my other locals - no PBS no CBS no CW no NFL network no Comcast Sport Net

Bronze Problem Solver

Hometech wrote:

Hung up and called back. Got non-english tier 1 who tried to reset my account and equipment. Again didn't see anything reset on my end

I'm now being told that Comcast has revoked access to these channels due to legal reasons which would mean others in the bay area and possibly beyond are going to see the same thing. Can't get a straight answer when it will be back up

I checked my other locals - no PBS no CBS no CW no NFL network no Comcast Sport Net

If these channels are giving you the "must be on home network" as you originally posted, then its just your account entitlements in comcast system are messed up and an account refresh usually fixes this.

New Poster

Bronze Problem Solver

Hometech wrote:

Seems there's other things going on this week that affect the Stream app...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/TV-remote-app-not-working/td-p/3007874

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Yep, but thats another problem that has been brewing for a year or more and just came to a head last week.

New Poster

Last call I made around 1130am PST this morning and got someone who says they did a full refresh on my account. Just got home 420pm PST and no change.

Interesting the two local channels I can still watch on the stream app send me to the TV Go equivilent channel.

Bronze Problem Solver

Hometech wrote:

Last call I made around 1130am PST this morning and got someone who says they did a full refresh on my account. Just got home 420pm PST and no change.

Interesting the two local channels I can still watch on the stream app send me to the TV Go equivilent channel.

Thats what ComcastLori wrote "As for why NBC and ABC continue to work, it's likely that you're being pivoted to the TV Go versions of those local channels."

What about channels other than the local ones, do they work?

Expert

Hometech wrote:

please use a smart device and the Xfinity My Account app. touch the internet tab and check the serial number of your modem listed and compare it to the actual modem. Same?

New Poster

Update - got a call from a tech last night and he tried a refresh again which did not solve the problem. Said he would be back to me in 24-48 hours hopefully with a resolution.

As of this morning it's still not working

As far as the serial number of my modem, I don't see anything listed. Perhaps because I'm using a customer owned peice?

Expert

Hometech wrote:

Update - got a call from a tech last night and he tried a refresh again which did not solve the problem. Said he would be back to me in 24-48 hours hopefully with a resolution.

As of this morning it's still not working

As far as the serial number of my modem, I don't see anything listed. Perhaps because I'm using a customer owned peice?

ok not showing the actual modem is the problem. call 800-Comcast and select billing. ask the representative to assign your modem (have info available) to an outlet. once that is done you will see a modem listed and your in-home will work.

New Poster

Well after many calls it's finally fixed. Thank you Rustyben, your solution worked. Why in the F it takes customers using the forums to fix their own systems is beyond me. SO FRICKEN FRUSTRATING!!