Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Need a solution to watch Xfinity Dtream TV on the road on a TV

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Need a solution to watch Xfinity Dtream TV on the road on a TV

Hi all.

So I'm on the road a lot. I pay a small fortune for Xfinity TV, so would like to make the most of it when I'm not actually at home.

So how do I watch Xfinity live TV, my DVR recordings and OnDemand, on a hotel flatscreen TV with HDMI or coax inputs?

I tried steaming via the Xfinity Stream TV iOS app from my iPhone, over to my AppleTV via Apple AirPlay. However, that doesn't work as Xfinity is either not supported by Apple, or Xfinity blocks AirPlay.

So is there another gizmo I can use that would connect to my iPhone via AirPlay or is standalone, and has its own Xfinity Stream app utilizing WIFI?

Thanks in advance.
Expert

Re: Need a solution to watch Xfinity Dtream TV on the road on a TV

CoBrit66 wrote:
Hi all.

So I'm on the road a lot. I pay a small fortune for Xfinity TV, so would like to make the most of it when I'm not actually at home.

So how do I watch Xfinity live TV, my DVR recordings and OnDemand, on a hotel flatscreen TV with HDMI or coax inputs?

I tried steaming via the Xfinity Stream TV iOS app from my iPhone, over to my AppleTV via Apple AirPlay. However, that doesn't work as Xfinity is either not supported by Apple, or Xfinity blocks AirPlay.

So is there another gizmo I can use that would connect to my iPhone via AirPlay or is standalone, and has its own Xfinity Stream app utilizing WIFI?

Thanks in advance.

currently you can not view your entire service using x1 equipment only outside your home and not connected to your own home wifi network from Xfinity. It isn't being mean, and you Comcast isn't charging us for that feature. There are over 200 'go' streams available and of course you can watch all your recordings while away. 

The exception (grandfathered) is for a desktop/laptop  that connects to the TV as if the TV was a monitor (A/V, DVR, HDMI). In this case the TV is simply an accepted monitor. You might want to look at the TiVo system or talk to TiVO owners with Xfinity service to see what they offer in the streaming from home equipment service.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. We. They may not be charging me for the option, but they are charging me for TV service that I can't watch about 30% of the time when I'm in the road! Comcast makes such a big thing about "TV To Go". You would think the clue is in the name. TV. I want to watch TV on a TV. They replyed to my Tweet and said I could watch my favorite shows on my phone. Why would I want to watch a show on a 5" screen when there is (right now) a 36" flat screen sitting in front of me. I really don't understand their mentality with regards to this. The satellite companies and the streaming companies allow it. So why not Comcast?
Expert

CoBrit66 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. We. They may not be charging me for the option, but they are charging me for TV service that I can't watch about 30% of the time when I'm in the road! Comcast makes such a big thing about "TV To Go". You would think the clue is in the name. TV. I want to watch TV on a TV. They replyed to my Tweet and said I could watch my favorite shows on my phone. Why would I want to watch a show on a 5" screen when there is (right now) a 36" flat screen sitting in front of me. I really don't understand their mentality with regards to this. The satellite companies and the streaming companies allow it. So why not Comcast?

it is not mentality, it it 'price' and contracts. The Cable TV providers want control of TV sets in their locations and the providers of entertainment (shows) want to sell to the Cable TV providers (distributors) so they all agree on these contracts and enforce the contract terms using permissions (of the use of the content). Again, you might want to look at TiVo equipment to see if it does what you want to accomplish. My guess is that Tivo won't allow your content to be played on a hotel other than like Comcast allowing a desk/laptop to use the TV as a monitor.