Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Can't watch Live TV show on Hotspot while recording at home

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Most Valued Poster

Can't watch Live TV show on Hotspot while recording at home

I had an odd problem tonight. I had to run out but didn't want to miss an evening news show. So I set my X1 DVR to record. Then while I was away from home I was able to connect to an Xfinity WiFi hotspot. But when I tried to watch  a few minutes of the show live I kept getting blocked by a message saying I had to watch the show from my home modem. Well first, I know that isn't true. I can watch TV shows live from WiFi hotspots or any other wifi connection. Second,  I was able to turn to other live stations and watch shows so I know that the connection wqs strong enough to carry the streaming signal. So why can't I watch a show live from a remote WiFi connection while I am taping it at the same time? Also, this was the only show that I was taping at the time II tried to watch it. Customers should be able to tape a show and watch it live streaming from a remote location if they are signed in. Can someone tell me why I had this problem? Thanks. 

Expert

Re: Can't watch Live TV show on Hotspot while recording at home

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I had an odd problem tonight. I had to run out but didn't want to miss an evening news show. So I set my X1 DVR to record. Then while I was away from home I was able to connect to an Xfinity WiFi hotspot. But when I tried to watch  a few minutes of the show live I kept getting blocked by a message saying I had to watch the show from my home modem. Well first, I know that isn't true. I can watch TV shows live from WiFi hotspots or any other wifi connection. Second,  I was able to turn to other live stations and watch shows so I know that the connection wqs strong enough to carry the streaming signal. So why can't I watch a show live from a remote WiFi connection while I am taping it at the same time? Also, this was the only show that I was taping at the time II tried to watch it. Customers should be able to tape a show and watch it live streaming from a remote location if they are signed in. Can someone tell me why I had this problem? Thanks. 

when out of your home, the recording must finish recording before you can play it back remotely

Most Valued Poster

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't want to watch the recording. I wanted to watch the live streaming show which was at mid point at the time. Why won't the system let me watch a live program because it is recording? This seems silly to me. I can see many people recording a sports event b/c they will be away from home and yet want to jump in and watch a piece of the steaming live show if they can get the opportunity.

Problem Solver

It's not because it was recording; it's because In-Home Only channels (as the name implies :-) can't be watched out of home. It's for this reason that you also can't watch in-progress recordings out of home: because that would be the same as watching the In-Home Only channel out of home. Once the recording has completed, it's available for viewing regardless of where you are.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Most Valued Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry but  am having a problem understanding your answer. The channel I was taping was CNN. You are saying that when a channel like CNN is being taped it becomes an "In-home only channel" and can only be watched in home. But once the taping has stopped then I can watch the live channel either from home or from a remote hotspot? Is that right? If that is true can you explain why a channel that can be watched from anywhere can't be watched while taping? Not watch the taping but the live channel. What is it about being taped that turns it into a restricted channel temporarily? Is there a problem with the mechanical process that stops me from watching the live version of an otherwise watchable channel while it is being taped? Thanks