Community Forum

pw vault cloud? sign on?

Valued Contributor

pw vault cloud? sign on?

Hello Ive been using a diff password vault I purchased for a long time now. I was going to give nortons a try again and opened identity safe followed info to install extensions from norton console to browsers and to my surprise it appears cnss has gone to the cloud with passwords? I thought comcasts did not offer that? Its asking for sign in (email and pw) I dont have clue what to do with that as Im running cnss.  Ive run cnss for literal years now.   help? thanks  my cnss version is: 22 12 1 1 5 win 7 all up to date turned off old pw manager.   Must I use cloud?   I did use norton products very far in past quiete possible not even this machine. Ive run clean up software by norton many a time since anyway.  it was working last I dumped the pw manager from comcast a few years ago. 

Re: pw vault cloud? sign on?

Hi tvaholic7,

WOW - where to start.

• You are on the latest version of NSS (22.12.1.15)
  • The announcement regarding that update is here .
  • That update should not have impacted your WIN 7 system, as I had installed all prvious versions (even the ones that had been pulled) and I did not lose any of my scheduled tasks in NSS on WIN 7.  I did lose scheduled tasks on my WIN 10 running the retail version of Norton Secuity Premium - but that's a different story.
  • There has been lots going on with new extensions on Chrome, Fire Fox and Edge. They work differently and even produce different resutls than what you are use to on their revious versions, as well as in some cses the Local Vault is only usable as we have known it to be on Internet Explorer.
  • If in the past you had set up a Cloud Vault (email address and password) which was used for your Norton Account, then it is possble that vault may still exist in the Cloud.  Cloud Vault needs to be signe into a Norton Account (email address and password) and then you'll be prompted for a "cloud vault" password - so it is a double log-in verification.
  • The different browsers use different extensions and react differently when opening/closing them in regards to Identity Safe Vaults.  Edge closes you vaut when you close the browser and you have to resign in when you open Edge in order to use ID Safe.
  • Chrome currently hides the Norton Toolbar - while FF and Edge do not display the Norton Toolbar - there seems to be many different scenarios involved with all the browsers.

Perhpas letting us know which browser you are using, if you had  Norton Account in the past (do not post your email/pasword in the open forum).  You may also desire to have a peek in Programs and Features to see if there is a Norton entry for Norton Idenity Safe.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Valued Contributor

removed orig reply as on start up this is happening again it is same issue as this discussion with no answers I found http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/Disable-or-stop-Norton-Security-S...   Oop didnt mean to remove reply that I never had a cloud vault my subscript norton was before all that existed.   Its ie11 wont work in now too, keeps asking for sign on from norton. crazy.

Valued Contributor

edit'd see above

Valued Contributor

edit see above

Valued Contributor

So any ideas here? that post is exactly what is happening.   It restarted up again. Its same loop from that discussion did they find a solve for it? thanks.

As a starting point - Can you get to this site?

https://my.norton.com/Devices/Home/List

What did you see in Programs and Features?

Valued Contributor

I have something to tell you and an important question, but first: what I see when I follow your link is the sign into norton page email and pw . It lets me sign in (with my new norton acct) and I see 0 devices (i only have pc and laptop).     But before seeing your recent reply I went ahead and did reinstall (prob wasnt ness') as after I decided to just sign up for norton acct.  Well it now has me using vault after initial sign in to norton in browser.  Seems to only ask for vault pw now.   I also signed up for two account (second user) did not plan too but did nto realize it would not carry from primary user account to limited user or other user rather acct on my win 7 machine.  It let me but had to use new email.   (Im running out of email as I used 3 now it, still has my old acct email from years ago and wont let me use it as a result).   So to explain as clear as I can:  I signed in for norton acct w/ email and pw, and then it had me set up a vault and asked me to allow all the add ons in chrome etc,  and initially had me put in norton sign on followed by the vault.    It is running now in IE (still wont work on gmail only worked first use)  But it seems to be working.   BIG QUEST FOR YOU how do I now know what vault storage Im running I mean where is this info being stored? A cloud like thing on norton servers or on my pc? I really have to think what to do if its in cloud and would like to know if I can download a file of these incase my pc's would face disaster all at once could I get in the "cloud" or whatever its called on a new machine w/ just sign on and pw? If for any reason I leave comcast what do I do w/ pw vault if its cloud?  thank you so much sorry for the confusion things sure changed.

Back to basics:

• a Cloud Vault is tied to a Norton Account (email & pw) which you must be logged into prior to being able to enter your Cloud pw. 
  • a Local Vault does not require a Norton Account, but rather is tied to a Windows User Account 
  • a Cloud vault can be accessed from any system - once you log into the Norton Account (and then into the Cloud Vault) on that system.
  • a Local Vault, you need to log into the Windows User account your desire to use the vault on and then enter only your pw when opening  the Local Vault.
  • You may establish more than one Cloud Vault by using a different email address as the "user name".  This is how more than one user on the same system may use the Cloud Vault - by signing into their Norton Account and then their vault. It sounds like you have managed to do this already.
  • You may establish more than one Local Vault by setting the Local Vaults up using a different Windows User Account.  This is how more than one user on the same system may use the Local Vault - by signing into a Windows User Account and then into the Local Vault.
  • In both cases, each Norton Account (Cloud Vault) and each Windows User (Local Vault) can have their own vaults, separate from the other users vault on the same system and can have their own set of log-ins.

Now hopefully that is clear in your mind and I'll try to answer your questions now.

• how do I now know what vault storage Im running - you will need to know which vault you logged into - did you need to log into the Norton Account and then use the vault pw, or did you log directly into the Vaut (local vault) - remember you do not need to be logged into a Norton Account in order to loginto a Local Vault.
  • I mean where is this info being stored? A cloud like thing on norton servers or on my pc? - Actually, even with a Cloud Vault there is an encrypted .dat file buried on your system.  The Cloud Vault can be found at the following link and then logging into your Norton Account and then your Cloud Vault.  https://identitysafe.norton.com 
  • The easiest method to Export the log-ins currently is in IE -  Once the Vault is opened (for both Cloud and Local) is to click on the three dots on the Norton Toolbar (which still exists on IE).  Slect the Open ID Safe Settings.  Go to the Import/Export Tab and using the Help (?) follow the instructions.  Note if logged into a Cloud Vault there should be an added function of auto-backups and a link to where they are on your system.
  •  could I get in the "cloud" or whatever its called on a new machine w/ just sign on and pw?  You should be able to do that via the link I provided above. 

Hopefully you can get things sorted from there - but if you need more let us know.

Valued Contributor

thank you so much for you detailed reply Smiley Happy so appreciated.   So yes, I def am in cloud per your link and what you described I just signed in and read it thru' norton link.  Question: can the plain text download of vault only be done from console on my machine? Not cloud?   If I lose my machines and get back in cloud how do I create the console again to see my vault locally? Im asking what protects anyone else who may hack my vault pw and log on info to see my vault in plain text by settin up console ? if its safer you can pm me. thanks just want to roll all this around in my head before I trust this w/ important stuff.   I read some use key and sign on two things and encryption is norton similiar for log ins thanks did a lot of reading just need this yet to decide thanks again.

Valued Contributor

Sorry so many replies you can remove the dups or emptys its up to you I did back up files very easy thanks.

Valued Contributor

Just a curious thing, Ive no mobile norton software on my pc or laptop we have no other device no phones nothing.   Odd it pushed me on the cloud and I cant go back to local but whatever it works I just wont use it for anything important.

I have a strange request for you to try.

In IE, log out of your Cloud Vault ,click on the three dots on the Norton Toolbar > Select Open Identity Safe Settings > select the Security Tab and tell me what the first option is?

Now log into your Cloud Vault go tot he same place and see if the first option on the Security Tab is something different and if so - what is it?

Valued Contributor

Id be happy to do that but problem: In IE I dont have the three dots anymore LOL. The tool bar is enabled but I have the globe thing to look in vault and the search box no dots.  I only recall seeing them before all this.  I checked all over settings and browser no way to reveal them I can see.

Uhmmm, on the IE Menu Bar, select View  > Toolbars > Check Mark Norton Toolbar.  Is the NTB now displayed?

Try to select the Identity Square on the main page of NSS.  Select Identity Safe > when log-ins appear selectthe Cog Wheel (Settings) at the bottom > Select the Security Tag > what's the first option?  PLease note you need to be logged into your Vault for this method.

<EDIT> My bad - all you can probably see is the General Tab if not logged into your vault.   What do you mean by: "The tool bar is enabled but I have the globe thing to look in vault and the search box no dots."

Valued Contributor

took a screen shot made to jpg of what I see logged in to ie as well as logged out minus vault open . when I click it what looks like a gap ther is nothing it goes to either green or gold icon. I will do other method then you mentioned. Is there anything private showing in this? if so remove it then thanks.   EDIT: first choice on your alternate way in nis is: ask for pw each session (in securty tab).for comcast board.jpg

You security tab is what is displayed when you have a Cloud Vault.

As for the three dots, right click in the blank area of the menu bar (between Help and the X)  Remove the check mark from Lock Toolbars.  A dotted line should appear tot he left of the X.  Right click and drag the dotted line towards the left of the screen.  The remainder of the Norton Toolbar should appear (to include the three dots).  Once all is present do the right click again and Lock the Toolbars. 

Which browser do you desire to use and which type vault?  

Valued Contributor

Done thanks LOL .   I see the dots and it is for safe search etc when clicked.  Id prefer to use local vault I think.  Its def cloud in f fox and chrome it has email sign on in corner but doesnt ask every time.  How or what shows actual diff from what is running cloud or local?

Is what I show'd you in IE the cloud for sure?   Its only way I could resurrect the pw vault to run once I came back from long break.  (prev post : uninstalled and reinstall ncss and had to sign up to get it going).

Thanks for assist much appreciated Smiley Happy   If I felt secure w/ cloud Id use it but I just dont.  Is it recc'd to use norton cloud for very sensitive info? I guess Im asking how tough the security is or layered?

First let me apologize for the delay in responding - yesterday was filled with real-life events - I barely turned the systems on all day.

@tvaholic7 wrote:

Done thanks LOL .   I see the dots and it is for safe search etc when clicked.  Id prefer to use local vault I think.  Its def cloud in f fox and chrome it has email sign on in corner but doesnt ask every time.  How or what shows actual diff from what is running cloud or local?

A local Vault can not be use on fully updated FF or Chrome browsers.  IE can use either Cloud or Local Vault and what you saw on the Security Tab does in fact occur only with a Cloud Vault.  If a Local Vault, it asks if you desire to log into your vault when Windows starts.

Is what I show'd you in IE the cloud for sure?   Its only way I could resurrect the pw vault to run once I came back from long break.  (prev post : uninstalled and reinstall ncss and had to sign up to get it going).

Please see the following thread - it is quite long and covers a lot fo territory, but has some very helpful info and a few methods of regaining a Local Vault - if yu deicde to go that way.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Thanks for assist much appreciated Smiley Happy   If I felt secure w/ cloud Id use it but I just dont.  Is it recc'd to use norton cloud for very sensitive info?   I guess Im asking how tough the security is or layered?

That's like asking which is the best Antivirus, or browser, or operating system - etc.  The user has to decide what best suits their needs and use that.  One thing to remember, you ust be signed into your Norton Account (email address and password) prior to being able to enter a password for your Cloud Vault.  Whereas with a Local Vault, all you need is to be signed into a windows User account and a password. Plus you can automatically start the ID Safe Local Vault when you start Windows.  so there are more layers of security for the Cloud Vault - however, some users do not trust their passwords in the Cloud.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much usaf Smiley Happy No problem on wait at all Smiley Happy   Hope your world out side this forum is treating you good today we certainly value your help  here.

So Im in the cloud, thank you Smiley Happy I will read the link.   I will prob for now use it lightly on ie only and keep the one I paid for in past for now.   Im debating on cloud in general no matter which one I use.  Just hard to let everything go in that cloud even important stuff LOL.  But we all know how out of control pw are when we use all diff ones as we should.   Thanks again Smiley Happy 

You are quite welcome and you know where to find help if you need it.