Community Forum

new comcast customer, having issues downloading norton

Highlighted
New Poster

new comcast customer, having issues downloading norton

not that good with this, but i understand to save it and then open it from top right, then select run. when i do that its saying that its not compatible with the computer's operating system. this is an hp dv6-3025dx entertainment notebook.

i will say that it does have avast on it, the first time i tried to run norton avast opened up with a security message and said that it had a "unique" file it just found and that it was going to send it to something..i dunno..but ive restarted, cleared the history and tried to do it again and its still giving the same error message. as far as avast i dont know what to do other than to uninstall it- not sure if that's the reason why or it really can be put on here.

i contacted norton via chat and they advised me to contact xfinity and said i had to change my subscription, so im really confused now.

thanks in advance

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: new comcast customer, having issues downloading norton

@khemestre1 wrote: ... its saying that its not compatible with the computer's operating system ...

There's little point installing Comcast's Norton product, as it is being discontinued at the end of 2020. See https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/End-of-service-announcement-for-....

Comcast claims their "xFi Advanced Security" takes the place of Norton AV (see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/norton-security-online-sunset), but that's absurd. For instance, "xFi Advanced Security" cannot detect threats that arrive over secure (https) connections. You're better off keeping the AV you have now than depending on Comcast's woefully incomplete "xFi Advanced Security".

Highlighted
New Poster

i understand but i would still like to have it.

so does that imply that customers with new service can't instal it at all? i was able to create the norton account, so i do have that it part..its just the download part. i would still like to use it, its only november

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@khemestre1 wrote: i understand but i would still like to have it. ...

Does https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20090814170416EN help?

Highlighted
New Poster

a piece from it:

You may also see the error "Norton product will not install in compatibility mode. Close this window and restart the installer in normal mode." These errors can appear if Norton is not compatible with your operating system or if you are running the installer in the compatibility mode.

What does that mean? I understand close the window, but then what do you do next?

i tried closed all the browser windows and went back through my computer and selected the file and it still says its not compatible. its windows 7

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@khemestre1 wrote: ... compatibility mode. What does that mean? I understand close the window, but then what do you do next?...

Has Service Pack 1 been applied to your Windows 7?

Did you run Windows update?

Then, as the article states:

1. Right-click the Norton install file that you have downloaded, and click Properties.

2. On the Compatibility tab, under Compatibility mode, uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode".

3. Install Norton.

If it still doesn't work, try Norton product support again.

Highlighted
New Poster

ok, nevermind that part...i needed to look down..

it explains how to open the folders and select the windows update to search for any, when i did that it says an error message 80244019-windows update encountered an unknown error...

so i did a search for it, at the windows webpage i found a link to download the safety scanner, so it did allow me to run it, its doing it right now..so i guess tbc until this finishes

Highlighted
New Poster

ok, i think i got it.

had to do the compatability scan, it said i have the windows 7 xp 3 pack (im sorry i may be explaining that part wrong) so i updated windows that way..after it updated it starting running the program..but it opened it up to install.

thanks for taking the time to help, i appreciate it! its easy to forget these computers are really beta, things have to be adjusted..

thanks again.

Highlighted
New Poster

well i spoke too soon, it opened and says its installing it but it gave an error. i finish checking through the other stuff. but still thanks, that helped allot.

im running the ms safety scanner, so far nothing. ill update as it goes