Community Forum

n360.exe*32 consumes 99% quad-core CPU for many hours.

Regular Contributor

n360.exe*32 consumes 99% quad-core CPU for many hours.

I know some posted similar questions before.  I could not find a solution from the posts.  This seems to be version dependent.  I cannot kill n360.exe with Task Manager.

My OS is Windows 7 ultimate.

My version of Norton is:

Norton.png

Problem Solver

Re: n360.exe*32 consumes 99% quad-core CPU for many hours.

Hello ,

Sorry for the trouble. Do you use any other security programs? Did you try restarting the computer? Does the n360.exe shows 99% CPU as soon as you start the computer? It would be great if you can let me know the troubleshooting steps you tried.

Harry

Norton Support

hongzhang - FYI, you can not "kill" n360.exe in Task Manager - as the Norton Protection function protects the program from being shut down in that manner - hackers would have field day if they could kill your AV using Task Manager.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all very much for prompt responses. 

I restarted the computer and everything seems to be normal now.  Restarting the computer appears to be the remedy for this.  I hesitate to restart the computer because the computer is used to run some programs with processes lasting for many hours.  I had to interrupt the process unfortunately today in order to restart the computer.  

In case you wonder if that application was the culprit,  stopping the app did not help.  The app works with a SQL server and does not deal with files. 

Regular Contributor

Hello Harry,

Could you lend a hand in finding a better solution than restarting the computer?  The problem is happening again.  I have closed all applications (i.e. The application tab of Windows Task Manager is empty now). 

Norton is the only security program on this computer.  This problem does not happen unpon starting the computer.  I do not know what triggers it.

I cannot afford restarting this computer frequently.

Regular Contributor

I have noticed the I/O Read Bytes and I/O Wirte Bytes rarely change, but I/O Other bytes keeps changing:

Norton Process.png

Regular Contributor

I is happening again after I restarted the computer last night.  I checkd event logs with Event Viewer, but could not find anything abnormal.

Regular Contributor

Another interesting observation:

The Task Manager shows the 12GB memeory of the computer is essentially used up with 0 or 1 MB free memory left. If I add up the memory used by all the processes, it should be no more than half of the number - 6GB.

Regular Contributor

Norton has been consuming almost all CPU power for about 10 hours.  I do not know when this will end, or end at all.

Regular Contributor

Quick Scan has got stuck.  I am wondering if this is the culprit. It stays at "Stopping".

Norton Quick Scan.png

Problem Solver

Can you confirm the version of Norton Security Suite you use? Try to restart your computer in Safe Mode & run a scan with Power Eraser tool:

http://www.norton.com/npe

Then try to run a full system scan/quick scan with your Norton product. Let me know how it goes.

Harry

Norton Support

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot, Harry.

I followed your instructions to run NPE and start a full scan. 

I do not know how long it takes for this to happen after a reboot. My guess is 5 to 10 hours. I will report back by tomorrow. 

Before the reboot, n360.exe used 75% CPU constantly startiing from last Saturday.  

Regular Contributor

Just in case it is useful information, this started to happen soon after I replaced the primary hard drive (240 GB SSD) with a new one (480 GB SSD).

Problem Solver

Do you have Idle Time Optimizer enabled on your Norton Security Suite? If so, can you try to disable it since you have SSD?

Harry

Norton Support

Regular Contributor

The full system scan get stuck at a file on drive F.  It coud be neither paused nor stopped.

Norton System Scan.png

I added drive F to Scan Exclusions, restarted the computer.

Now the CPU usage is back to  95% - 99%. 

The primary drive is an SSD, but the computer has a secondary drive that is regular HDD. 

The current Background Tasks window is the following:

Norton Backgroud Tasks.png

I don't know what is up, but I can't see any of your images.

Regular Contributor

Thank yoiu for our attention.

That is weid.  I can see the images with the browser used to write the post, not with other browswers.  This probably means that the images worked and have been cached, but are not working anymore.  Let me post the two images again here:

Norton System Scan.png

Regular Contributor

The same problem with the images of the last post.  I do not know what is wrong. 

Regular Contributor

It is happening again.  This time the system scan has got stuck at a different file:

Norton System Scan 2.png

The Task Manager shows two instances of n360.exe:

Norton Issue Task Manager.png

Even though the following link is from the Norton Fourm, it is also powered by Lithium as this forum is and the information will get your image to post.

https://community.norton.com/forums/forum-tip-how-post-screenshots-forum?destination=node/283803

1) To capture the entire view of the monitor screen, press the "Print Screen" key. To capture only the active window, hold the "Alt" key and press "Print Screen". Either method will copy the image to the Windows internal clipboard. Alternatively, users of Vista and Windows 7 can use the Snipping Tool (link is external) instead of the above. Note: Vista Home Basic and Windows 7 Starter do not include the Snipping Tool.

2) Open MS Paint or another imaging program, e.g. Adobe Photoshop Elements. In Paint, click "Edit" and then "Paste".

3) Save the image to your desktop as a jpeg or png file.

4) Upload the image to your message by clicking on the tree icon (see image below) of the editor while you are composing your message:

5) After clicking on the tree icon, the window below will appear. To upload the image from your computer to your message (the image will also be automatically uploaded to your image gallery), make sure the "My Computer" tab is selected and click on "Browse". You can also adjust the image size and alignment. Once the image has been uploaded, click on "Insert Image". The image will appear in your message and image gallery.

If you want to upload an image in advance, then you can go to your image gallery by clicking on your user name, scrolling to the bottom of your profile page and clicking on "View Image Gallery". You will be given the option to upload images to your gallery. When composing a message, you can then select "From My Gallery" (see image above) to upload the image.

Note: Your images will be reviewed for content by a moderator before they are publicly visible, so don't be surprised if you see an image placeholder (yellow triangle) in your post pending image approval.

Co-authored by Yaso_Kuuhl and Phil_D

I'm not sure the review of images is still occurring - I'll check with the admin, although other mages are appearing fro other users.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for all the tips.

That is how I added images.  The saved images are not a problem for sure because I can view them with any other image viewing tools. I went to my gallery and all the images look fine.

Regular Contributor

I have noticed something puzzling.  My Public album shows fewer images if I do not sign in.  Since it is public, I thought it would show the same images no matter who looks at it.

Regular Contributor

Norton has essentially made this computer unusale.  Fortunately, it is not my primary computer. 

Problem Solver

Hello ,

We are trying to help you here, but unable to proceed further since we were unable to see the screenshots you have shared or understand the problem completely. If possible, please attach the image file to your reply post rather than inserting it as image.

Harry

Norton Support

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your persistent help, Harry.

Attached are the 7 screenshots.

I tried to disable as much as I could.  The computer has been fine for the past one day.  I think I will be able to tell the problem has been fixed by tomorrow.  This secondary computer runs some optional background tasks.  It behaves differently on weekends, so I will need to wait for an entire weekday to make the conclusion. 

Norton System Scan 2.png
Norton Issue Task Manager.png
Norton System Scan.png
Norton Quick Scan.png
Norton Process.png
Norton.png
Problem Solver

Sure, please let us know how it goes. If the problem persists, disable Norton Tamper Protection from Settings, end the n360 process from Task Manager, restart the computer and then re-enable Norton Tamper Protection.

Harry

Norton Support

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the tip, Harry.

The computer is still fine now, so I think I can conclude that the problem has been resolved.  I was trying to disable a lot of things without taking notes, so I do not remember what I disabled exactly.  Is there a way to save the currrent settings which I can use in case I need to reinstall Norton in the future?

Hi hongzhang,

There is an option when you uninstall Norton to save the Settings - but from past experience I have found that not all the settings are saved (Special Firewall rules come to mind).  The only way I know of being sure you have all of your changes is the old "paper and pencil" option. 

I have no problem with mine, as other than a few settings I write down, all my settings are at Default.

I doubt it, but perhaps Harry knows of some other way!

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the tip.

Problem Solver

I think got you all covered. Nothing more from me. Smiley Wink

Harry

Norton Support

New Poster

Norton360 has a long-standing buck that Norton has not fixed or found.  The way an A/V program works, is it creates a virtual environment in RAM, a mini VM.  Every time it encounters code it cannot determine is safe or not by other means, it will attempt to load and run that code.  This process is amazing, and ingenious-- but not foolproof.  Sometimes the mini VM gets stuck, get's lost in reiterations, and then begins to consume memory until it finally aborts internally, or you reboot the system.

Until Norton addresses this, the problem will not be fixed.  I sit here with hundreds of N360.exe processes having been spawned, and N360 is the only A/V product I've used for years, because it is the best, other than this flaw.  I have 16GB of RAM, a quadcore processor, running Windows 7.1 (not moving beyond that for logistical reasons), and the _only_ thing I've found that kinda/sorta works is to open the task manager, look at processes, then click on Resource Manager, and find the N360.exe process and click it (so it filters it).  Usually within about 10 minutes-- suddenly Norton cleans itself up and voila, back to normal.  I find that Norton only has this issue during idle periods.  System is good at night, when I come in in the morning, it sometimes is in this altered state of either 2 N360.exe processes with one using an excessive amount of RAM, or (today for the first time), spawning hundreds of N360.exe processes, but not using lots of RAM.

Hope that helps somebody at Xfinity and Norton to fix this bug which is not at all difficult for them to catch by adding a couple of flags to the code, and monitoring.  If windows can see an N360.exe process consuming Gigs of RAM, N360.exe can see it too.

Problem Solver

Hi