Community Forum

false virus alerts

Regular Visitor

false virus alerts

I have Norton but I get alerts from Macafee saying my account is canceled. Follows is a Virus alert for 3 virus infections. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: false virus alerts

It mat nothing more than a phishing expedition, but we need more information.

Have you ever had McAfee installed, and if yes, was is completely removed before installing Norton?

Was the warning sent via an email, or a popup notice on your screen?

Regular Visitor

I had Macafee installed 3 years ago. Couldn't find anything leftover.

I've been ratleing around forums for years, I've seen all manners of phony alerts,  This had a different look. 

Hi Red_Clay,

Please run the McAfee Removal Tool .  It is pretty intimidating to someone not rel tech savy, so there is an alternative Virtual Assistant offered that is firly simple to run and can be fouind here:

https://www5.nohold.net/McAfeeEndUser/ukp.aspx?pid=3&login=1&ruleid=11077&donelr=1

Let us kinow how you make out and if you should see the alert again, screenshot it if possible.

Expert

@Red_Clay wrote:

I had Macafee installed 3 years ago. Couldn't find anything leftover.

I've been ratleing around forums for years, I've seen all manners of phony alerts,  This had a different look. 

I had Macafee for 3 months free on my Lenovo AIO computer. I had heard complaints about it being hard to get rid of.

As the 3 months ran out, Macafee gave no choice paying for renewal. I blocked the renewal. Then went computer programs and uninstalled Macafee. Lastly I went to the last Macafee e-mail and blocked their site. I never had a problem after doing that about a year ago.

I would block their e-mail.

Regular Visitor

Thanx to all. We'll see what happens.