Community Forum

exessive data usage recorded

New Poster

exessive data usage recorded

Couple month back my internet data usage went up about twice, I though because 4K programs became popular on netflix and such. last month I received warning from comcast that my 1Tb tier has been reached so I started investigating.

2days ago I switch off mt router yet 6hours later 4more gigabytes has been recorded on my account.I went to bestbuy and bought new cable modem with build in router . as of this morning 11 gygabytes appeared  on the counter.

SSID and password has been reset twice and I don`t see any unfamiliar devices on my network.

I don`t ability to track what exactly every device doing on the network but I can see that all 2 smart TV is off. I only surf internet on one device and no big files downloading nor uploading. 

Comcast suggested to use their modem/router instead that data usage can be traced to particular device. 

I disliked the idea of additional change  but was told on xfinity xFi app that  new compatible router is on them.

Is there anyone else who has too much data usage? 

Frequent Visitor

Re: exessive data usage recorded

Khatynchan wrote:

Couple month back my internet data usage went up about twice, I though because 4K programs became popular on netflix and such. last month I received warning from comcast that my 1Tb tier has been reached so I started investigating.

2days ago I switch off mt router yet 6hours later 4more gigabytes has been recorded on my account.I went to bestbuy and bought new cable modem with build in router . as of this morning 11 gygabytes appeared  on the counter.

SSID and password has been reset twice and I don`t see any unfamiliar devices on my network.

I don`t ability to track what exactly every device doing on the network but I can see that all 2 smart TV is off. I only surf internet on one device and no big files downloading nor uploading. 

Comcast suggested to use their modem/router instead that data usage can be traced to particular device. 

I disliked the idea of additional change  but was told on xfinity xFi app that  new compatible router is on them.

Is there anyone else who has too much data usage? 

Hey I got this same message but nothing really new or changed in my household. I too got the Xfinity modem/router. I note that there is an open Xifinity WiFi channel when I installed it. No password protection or anything, so anyone within range can use it. Don't know who is getting charged for the data flowing on that Xfinity channel. Hope it isn't me. I suppose it has something to do with their mobile app and phones they are pushing.