Community Forum

Xfinity found malicious software on your device(s)

New Poster

Xfinity found malicious software on your device(s)

I received an email with the subject line "Xfinity found malicious software on your device(s)". In the email body it does not inform me what device is infected so I opened a support chat. They said they see the notification that security sent me but could not help past that and gave me a number. I called that and it was billing. They finally got me to security. After 60 minutes of this, still no one could tell me what device is infected. I find it hard to believe that they detected malicious software on my device but can't tell me what device. A report like that is pretty useless.

Can anyone tell me how to find out what devices might be infected?

Re: Xfinity found malicious software on your device(s)

Comcast's take:

https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/products-and-services/bot-detection-and-removal/

Prior to running the suggested Windows Defender and Norton Power Eraser, I would suggest

running MalwareBytes, http://www.malwarebytes.org/,  It is an excellent anti-malware program that will detect and remove a great many exploits and there is a free verson I run .

Of course the downside since Comcst does not procide any info on which device - you'd have to run the suggested programs on all youse devices.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity found malicious software on your device(s)

They're scanner is broken. It's being set off by my nest. All of my machines have virus scanning software. I'm in the middle of moving, and the only thing on my network right now is a router (up to date, no known vuleranabilities) and a nest and LG TV, which is brand new. I was getting these at my old place. Where the tv didn't exist. I've monitored my network, and found nothing nefarious. I'm about ready to file an FCC complaint against them.