Community Forum

Windows Defender vs Avast or Norton Security Suite

Frequent Visitor

Windows Defender vs Avast or Norton Security Suite

Hello All

My Son currently is using Windows Defender on his gaming system,  wondering though if it's safe to be using as full time antivirus protection along with Malwarebyes Free,   He says it is safe, and won't infect right of network if  he gets something, i don't know if hes wrong or right

My own computer i use Avast Free

Same for Laptop Machine

Please advise thank you

New Poster

Re: Windows Defender vs Avast or Norton Security Suite

If his computer is running Windows 10, Defender is built in to the ystem. It's considered minimal, but still good enough to ptotect from most common threats.

If his computer is running anything other than Windows 10 (like 8.1 or 7) I don't recommend relying on Defender because in earlier versions of Windows Defender doesn't actually have much, if any, virus protection capability. It's primary purpose is anti-spyware, not anti-virus.

Either Avast free edition or the Norton Security that comes with your Xfinity internet service is still better than Defender, no matter what OS he has.

Viruses don't typically have the ability to infect other computers on the same network. They'll usually infect your computer through email attachments or infected websites.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Windows Defender vs Avast or Norton Security Suite

Oh Thank you,  he did mention might reinstall Avast Free on his system, as stated Defender does scan slowly, so think will be fine then in that case.  Appreciate the reply so much