Community Forum

Why are Xfinity DNS servers constantly trying to connect to my PCs UDP port?

New Poster

Why are Xfinity DNS servers constantly trying to connect to my PCs UDP port?

My firewall log shows activity of nearly constant attempts to connect to my UDP ports - it sweeps through many different port numbers.  The machines doing this are 2001:558:feed::1 and 2001:558:feed::2

These are Xfinity's DNS servers, right?  So why is this happening? How do I stop it?

I have the X1 router, McAffee LiveSafe for security, my PC is Windows 10 Pro

Expert

Re: Why are Xfinity DNS servers constantly trying to connect to my PCs UDP port?

DNS server queries primarily use the UDP protocol.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Why are Xfinity DNS servers constantly trying to connect to my PCs UDP port?

but why are the DNS servers constantly querying my home computers?   I'm not hosting any services, and aren't these constant queries using a chunk of my bandwidth and occupying my PC's network card?

Expert

@Darwinized wrote:

but why are the DNS servers constantly querying my home computers?   I'm not hosting any services,

It's a two-way street. You network clients are constantly querying the DNS servers when you browse. So are background processes.

and aren't these constant queries using a chunk of my bandwidth and occupying my PC's network card?

Of course they are. It comes with the territory. There will always be protocol overhead involved. It's normal. You may be focusing on / worrying about your firewall entries excessively. Smiley Wink

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!