Community Forum

Why Comcast provides a very old version of Norton Security?

Frequent Visitor

Why Comcast provides a very old version of Norton Security?

Today is October 23, 2019. I downloaded Norton Security Suite from Comcast and installed it on my PC. Of course the first thing I always do with any security software is to update it....and this is why I am very angry at Comcast, read on and see why.

My original Norton download to install was about 194MB in size. This very ancient and old Comcast version needed FOUR huge downloads, each download is about 140-150 MB to update this OLD version to make it current and up-to-date.

Why doesn't Comcast get a current install version from Norton? They still are using a very old version that was released a long time ago. This is not fair to us.....Comcast users.

I wasted a lot of time and a lot of downloads to bring my Norton Security up-to-date.

These two large companies (Comcast & Norton) must cooperate and provide a much better service and system for us Comcast users to use Norton Security.

I hope somebody higher up the ladder at Comcast management sees my complain here and does something to fix this horrible old and ancient Norton offer.

I am not happy at all about this terribly old, ancient and time wasting Norton Security program.

A big shame on Comcast and Norton.

PS: Original download Norton Security is version 22.15.0.88

After many ridiculous number of updates it finally became version 22.19.8.65

Re: Why Comcast provides a very old version of Norton Security?

@JohnUSA 

You are correct - it is a PITA having to download an older version and then do major updates in order to get to the current version of Norton Security Online (NSO).  The older version of Norton Security Suite (NSS) offered by Comcast is no longer available. 

I verified the download versions you mentioned and you are correct,  you get an older version that requires the major updates.  I am not positive, but am willing to bet the method of using the older version to download and then upgrade has something to do with the legal beagles and the agreement between the two companies.  The older NSS remained at an outdated version for the initial download and if I remember correctly required about 7 major updates to get it to currency.   So when NSO was made available to customers, the 22.15.0.88 version was the current one and that is perhaps why it remains.

I am a Guru on the Norton Forums and will be contacting Norton and asking why the older version of NSO is the initial downloaded version fo Comcast/Xfinity users.  If I get an answer, I'll post back here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for your great help, I and I am sure all Comcast Internet customers will welcome your help.

I hope whoever is responsible for this horrible old version of Norton Security must know that they are doing a very bad job, giving us an old version and then expect to keep updating the very old Norton Security till it is up-to-date.....this should not be tolerated.

I do hope that both Comcast with Norton's cooperation will start providing us Comcast customers the very latest version of Norton Security.

Thank you again for your help and involement to fix this mess.

Frequent Visitor

I received an email from Xfinity if my inquiry (this question about why Comcast provides an old version of Norton Security which requires many updates to bring it to the current version) has been solved?

I would say absolutely and positively NOT yet.

This issue will NOT be solved until Comcast removes their ancient and old version of Norton Security and replace it with a new and current version so we users do not have to suffer with ridiculous number of updates to bring horrible OLD Norton up to par with a current version.

Again, a big shame on both Comcast and Norton to force all of us Comcast users suffer with the needless updates, there are many updates needed,  to make the ancient provided Norton current

@JohnUSA 

Short update - I have received word from a Norton Forum Admin that it has been noted and "is in the works" - but as per Norton policy - no ETA!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!