Community Forum

Virus protection for Google Chromebook

Regular Visitor

Virus protection for Google Chromebook

Approximately one hour ago, I had an issue with having gone to a search engine and trying to link to a particular website.  I have a Google Chromebook15.  I began getting an audio telling me that someone had tried to use my IP address without my permission (a few moments before that, I had inadvertently pressed "lock" on my computer.)  There was a number to call on the screen and when I called it, they told me I did not have Internet security and it would cost me $200.00 to get it installed.  The phone number is 877 740 3946.  Meanwhile, the audio was advising me not to shut the system down or I would lose some of my programs or unsaved documentation and that my computer was locked.  So, I'm asking,  "What's the deal with the Internet security?"  Does Xfinity or does Xfinity NOT provide Internet security?  What is your suggestion that I do in this case?

Re: Virus protection for Google Chromebook

@onthemove 

What you are seeing is a SCAM. Sometimes called Ransomware. there are different versions of this malware, but all are bsically the same regardless of operating system/default browser or what you slected that caused it to occur.

There are many methods of removal/answers to your questions, so I tried to keep my reposnse on the light side by suggesting your read through the info included in the following link and select the one that matches your system/browser.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=your+computer+has+been+locked

In regards to Xfinity providing Internet Security (Norton Security Online) is offered free and is something you should utilize - or another Anti-Virus program of yuor choosing. You must install Anti-virus, no matter who provides your internet service.  The link for the installation of Norton Security Online is

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-H...

Hint: In order to unlock my system I select Ctrl/Alt/Delete at the same time > Select Task Manager > highlight the browser I am using and then select End Task. This closes the browser that the lock occurred in.

Please let us know how things go.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Yes, thank  you.  This did answer my question and I appreciate it.  I was led by Google Chrome to believe that their system was virtually so secure due to it being a different type of operating system.  Therefore, I did not install any anti-virus software on it.  I suppose I will have to check with Chromebook to see what types of antivirus software they have.  The computer does not have a CD/DVD drawer.  Often, I load documents that I scan from my HP 7400 by thumb drive into my computer.

I kind of figured what happened yesterday was one of those ransomware scams.  It's a sorry day when you can hear people who sound as if they're working in an office talking to people while they scam them out of their money.  Thank you, E-8, for your information and for volunteering your efforts to help the public at large.

Highlighted

@onthemove 

You are most welcome for the info and to provide a bit more info here's a link in regards to protection on Chromebook.:

https://chromeunboxed.com/chromebook-how-to-viruses-malware-and-chrome-os-security/

Your specific case is covered very well as follows:

Browser Hijack
This fun little headache happens when a website contains Malware and attempts to redirect you or “ransom” your browser. Often it will come in the form of purchasing a bogus antivirus software to unlock your device.
DO NOT PAY ANYONE ANYTHING!
To fix the problem, a simple device reset will do the trick. For most Chromebooks, simply press the Refresh and Power buttons. After your device restarts, you will be asked if you want to restore your previous browsing session.
DO NOT!
Simply dismiss the message and go about browsing as usual, obviously avoiding the site that caused the problem. For a full list of reset methods check out the Google Support Page.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Again, E_8_Retired, thank you for your diligence with your extra-mile conttribution.  Too bad you are not working for Comcast.  Every business should have employees as dedicated as you are as a contributor!