Community Forum

The New Norton security Online suite

Regular Contributor

The New Norton security Online suite

I am trying to follow instructions on how to get this new online suite. I had Comcast Norton and I uninstalled it via my Control Panel. I left my settings as I was going to install a Norton Product.

Ok, I uninstalled after shutting off protection and then rebooted Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1803(April/May 2018 Windows 10 update). I went online with Firefox and clicked on the link in the instructions. It took me to Norton's web site and my password would not work. I am assuming that it would work with the Norton forum id and password, but it did not. Nor did a password with my comcast email. I have gotten no email from them with temporary password as they said I would get.  I currently have Windows Defender on and the Windows Defender firewall on.

I am CalamitySusan at the Norton Community Forum. How will I get my vault password, Norton forum password back as well as the new suite??? Please help.

Thanks.

Npersn31

Re: The New Norton security Online suite

@npersn31 wrote:

I am trying to follow instructions on how to get this new online suite. I had Comcast Norton and I uninstalled it via my Control Panel. I left my settings as I was going to install a Norton Product.

Ok, I uninstalled after shutting off protection and then rebooted Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1803(April/May 2018 Windows 10 update).

Did you turn FAST START off after the Win 10 update?

I went online with Firefox and clicked on the link in the instructions.

Did you follow the instructions from here?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-H...

It took me to Norton's web site and my password would not work. I am assuming that it would work with the Norton forum id and password, but it did not.

Norton's website was probably looking for an email address and password that would have set up a Norton Account.  The username and password is usually different for your Norton Account and the Norton Forums.

Nor did a password with my comcast email. I have gotten no email from them with temporary password as they said I would get. 

I do not recall ever receiving a temporary password from Norton - coulod you give me a link that yu got that information from?

I currently have Windows Defender on and the Windows Defender firewall on.

I am CalamitySusan at the Norton Community Forum. How will I get my vault password, Norton forum password back as well as the new suite??? Please help.

Thanks.

Npersn31

Please try to follow the instructions in the above link and let us know where it goes astray.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

@npersn31 wrote:

Ok, I uninstalled after shutting off protection and then rebooted Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1803(April/May 2018 Windows 10 update).

Did you turn FAST START off after the Win 10 update?

I went online with Firefox and clicked on the link in the instructions.

Did you follow the instructions from here?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-H...

It took me to Norton's web site and my password would not work. I am assuming that it would work with the Norton forum id and password, but it did not.

Norton's website was probably looking for an email address and password that would have set up a Norton Account.  The username and password is usually different for your Norton Account and the Norton Forums.

Nor did a password with my comcast email. I have gotten no email from them with temporary password as they said I would get. 

I do not recall ever receiving a temporary password from Norton - coulod you give me a link that yu got that information from?

I currently have Windows Defender on and the Windows Defender firewall on.

Thanks.

Npersn31

Please try to follow the instructions in the above link and let us know where it goes astray.

E-8: Fast start was not turned off after May 2018 update and I am not sure if it has ever been turned off on this newest computer that came with Windows 10. This computer is a Lenovo desktop (ideacenter) which was purchased after my Dell 755 refurbished desk top (Windows 7 /updated to Windows 10)  was having driver problems. I no longer have it nor the original Dell computer that I had when I first became a forum member. What do I do about the  Fast Start ? Does it matter?

Yes, the instructions you are referring to are the ones I mean. I was reluctant to post further information that happened afterwards until someone replied. Some how despite repeated attempts to log into Norton forum and to get Norton from the link, I ended up with Norton security scan icon on the desktop, Norton security suite icon on desktop and norton security scan running, then options to set  up Norton. I still could not get into Norton community forum where I am CalamitySusan. I believe I have changed that password. Norton vault still logs me into my xfinity web site. I thought the vault was local but I don't know. For a long time after original use of the vault, I did not use it and forgot that password; later somehow I used it the vault.

Are the vault password and the Norton community forum passwords supposed to be identical?

After the Norton Online supposedly installed, I ran a full scan of Norton  on my computer and it is still running. I don't know if I can get the "about" information until after the scan ends. Or get into the forum. Will check information after the scan ends.

Npersn31

Hi nperson31,

Info re: Fast Start:  A WIN 10 update can turn it back on after you have disabled it- it shouldremain off for proper updating of security programs.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

Have a look in Controlo Panel > Programs and Features and tell us each and every Norton Product you show as being installed.  Exact names please.  You mentioned Norton Security Scan - it can be uninstalled.

The vault password is required to be a strong password, while the forum password can be something simplier - although if you decide to use the same strong password on both that is acceptable.  

I'll wait to hear back from you before providing any more info.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

E-8: I went to the control panel in the wee hours of the morning June 5, and found the following information:

Norton Security Scan 4.6.1.175

Norton Security Suite 22.11.0.41 (period). There is a Norton installation folder icon on the desk top.

Please inform me if I need to uninstall all these, get rid of Norton installation folder and not save any settings since I don't seem to have the password to vault and Norton community forums. Oh and if I need to do something about Fast Start before I start any of this.

Thanks.

Npersn31

Hi Nperson31,

• Disable the Fast Start in WIN 10:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

• Go to Programs and Features and uninstall Norton Scan and Norton Security Suite - one at a time with a reboot following each removal. You may also delete the Installation folder if you desire, although I do not believe it is necessary.

• Create a new Norton Account, if you can not get into one that you may have created before, use another email address and password to create a new one.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v63577240_identity_safe_standalone_1_en_u...

• Download Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool and follow instructions from here:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

• In Step 5 you should see and select Advanced Options. A Remove Only button shoud appear. Select it and let it run.

• Let the PC restart and then go to the following link - Do not follow the on screen instructions:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-Ho...

• Once you have the new Norton Account set up, be sure to follow the link in Step 6, shown below, to sign into your new Norton Account and the link will guide you through the install of Norton Security Online.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/norton-security-download-install-pc

Please let us know how things go - or if you have any questions.

Regular Contributor

@USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

Hi Nperson31,

• Disable the Fast Start in WIN 10:

I am replying in a different color and size so that it is clear that I am replying to your specific instruction. I disabled Fast Start in Windows 10 via the method of changing a setting rather than using a Bat file. I am not confident I wouldn't mess up if I used a Bat file.

• Go to Programs and Features and uninstall Norton Scan and Norton Security Suite - one at a time with a reboot following each removal. You may also delete the Installation folder if you desire, although I do not believe it is necessary.

I did the reboot each time selecting shut down. I did delete the installation folder. An icon is now back on desktop for Norton Scan despite uninstalling it. An Icon for Norton Suite is on the desktop and an icon for NRnR(1).exe is there as well.

• Create a new Norton Account, if you can not get into one that you may have created before, use another email address and password to create a new one.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v63577240_identity_safe_standalone_1_en_u...

I was able to keep my forum name at Norton Community forum and I am not sure if a new account was actually created at the Norton site that was not Norton community forums. Somehow after all the log in attempts, the account exists related to my comcast email. I did have to get rid of the vault and start a new one.

• Download Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool and follow instructions from here:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

• In Step 5 you should see and select Advanced Options. A Remove Only button shoud appear. Select it and let it run.

This took some looking to find, but I selected it and let it run.

• Let the PC restart and then go to the following link - Do not follow the on screen instructions:

No kidding about the screen that appeared ! If you hadn't mentioned it, I might have.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-Ho...

• Once you have the new Norton Account set up, be sure to follow the link in Step 6, shown below, to sign into your new Norton Account and the link will guide you through the install of Norton Security Online.

With the suite installed, it still took hours to get the vault and Norton community forum password fixed. I was locked out from all the attempts

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/norton-security-download-install-pc

Please let us know how things go - or if you have any questions.

For any who need to delete a vault, see how to delete a vault.

E-8, how do I make sure it is the correct version? Thanks for any reply!

Npersn31

@npersn31 wrote: For any who need to delete a vault, see how to delete a vault.

E-8, how do I make sure it is the correct version? Thanks for any reply!

Npersn31

Select Help from the main dashboard and the ABOUT:  The following image is what you see in regards to the name of the product and the version.  Please note the version was just updated a few days ago.  The main dash board will also say Norton Security Online in the top left hand corner, as well as in Priograms and Features.NSO.png

If you have the above, then you should be up to date with NSO installed.  Please be sure to run LiveUpdate until it responds, no updates found - just to ensure you have the latest definitions.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

E-8,

I retried the instructions for the reinstallation and things worked out. I feel rather dumb to have needed to do this, but my first attempt was a doozy!

Thanks so much for the help.

Npersn31