Community Forum

Scam or not- Increased the speed

New Poster

Scam or not- Increased the speed

I recieved an Email today.

" We've increased the speeds for your XFINITY Internet Service. Upgrade your modem to enjoy faster speeds!

Recently, we increased the speeds for the XFINITY Internet service in your area.  To take advantage of these higher speeds and get the most out of your service, you will need to upgrade your current modem. We will provide you with a new device at no additional charge.  

What’s happening?

Your current modem does not support the higher speeds of your enhanced Internet service. We will need to replace your existing device with a Wireless Gateway."

It give you a site to login.

is this real or not????

New Poster

Re: Scam or not- Increased the speed

I believe it is true. I received a letter from Comcast about my modem and my box. Since I'm fairly new it just told me to unplug and modem and plug it back in and I did notice a change. The lag is shorter. I also got a letter about the box saying I have to exchange them. There is also a channel on the cable box that will let you know too. I haven't exchanged the box yet...

New Poster

Believe it or not I replaced my router yesterday and my speed went up from around 30mps to around 90mos. Not the modem, I have a brand new modem, but the router. I was amazed.
Not only that, we are a new XFinity user and had some problems with our first bill. My wife called customer service and it was an absolute pleasure to deal with them. After all the stuff online I was expecting much worse. And no I don't work for them and they're not paying me! Smiley Happy
New Poster

We fell for the same sales pitch by Comcast and regret it because once they automatically upgraded my internet speed I got a call from them and a sales pitch for the package of 150 mps and comcast tv channels as we previously only used their internet.  I asked very pointed questions on the contract requirement and was told no contract no contract and no digital box required.  Both were sale pitch lies which I bitterly complained about the next day when we did not get even the increased speed as promised to cuastomer support.  Their worthless tech support from the Philippines claimed it was my modem which I pushed back on as an excuse because it was certified by Comcast and it was new.  We got nowhere other than offering to send out a tech.  In the meantime I asked to just forget it and take me back to my former lower rate of $20 a month less as I was happy with the previous speed.  Well the sales scam is "we no longer offer that package".  I said what is you 30 day money back promise?  Oh then they could provide the same speed but at the same price I was currently paying under the new contract.  I said what contract the sales agent said no contact just keep the service for 60 days and that also was a lie.  So before the tech shows up I figured out the problem with my netgear modem and once I resolved without any worthless troubleshooting tech support from comcast I canceled the call.  I then filed a complaint online with comcast and guess what...they have never responded.  So if you get the call do not fall for it and tell them to email you the offer and do not sign off accepting any changes to your account by instant message.  

Expert

Two year old dead thread now being closed. Please create your own new topic here detailing your issue if you wish, thanks.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!