Community Forum

Recently I saw 3 of my computers auto update norton?

New Poster

Recently I saw 3 of my computers auto update norton?

Hi, I noticed 3 of my computers which have norton security suite (xfinity version), somehow autoupdate to a different version? I wasn't able to catch when the update was done, but i have auto update disabled, except i have automatic download of new version enabled. A desktop icon showed up for norton security suite too. So was there recently a new version released that auto updated without any notice?

Re: Recently I saw 3 of my computers auto update norton?

@Usulyre

@Usulyre wrote:

Hi, I noticed 3 of my computers which have norton security suite (xfinity version), somehow autoupdate to a different version?

Back in May a different version of Norton started being offered to Comcast customers - the info on that is in the following link:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-H...

I wasn't able to catch when the update was done, but i have auto update disabled, except i have automatic download of new version enabled.

• Is there a reason you have Automatic Live Update disabled?  
  • Hopefully you are doing manual LiveUpdtes on a regular basis in order to stay current definition wise.
  • Auto downlad of new version will only download a new major version.  Current version from Help > About on MainPage of Norton Product is 22.15.1.8.  New version download would only download a version that starts with 23 - none of the minor upgrades that changes the number after the 23 would be adjusted via the download of new version.
  • Please have a look at Help > About on the main page of norton and tell us the name of your product nd also the version number so we can figure out what happened.

A desktop icon showed up for norton security suite too.

A desktop Icon (shortcut for the product) is normal.

So was there recently a new version released that auto updated without any notice?

There has recently been some changes to Norton Identity Safe renaming it to Norton Password Manager with the following notice displayed after it changes.

Password Manager notice.png

Clicking the Learn More will get you addtional info which is located in the following link:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v127051054_EndUserProfile_en_us?

If you have adtional questions, please include your operating system and default browser when you respond.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hi and thanks for your reply. I have win 10 x64 pro and firefox but ms edge is set to default but i dont use it. This for two computers, the other is win 7 x64 pro and ie as default  but I dont use it.

I have automatic updates disabled, I'm just a person that like to manually update software, as if you have a bunch of auto updates for so many programs that can be really conflicting especially if they restart your pc at any point in time.

I usually update norton every day once a day and twice at a time. I have 22.15.1.8 and its Norton Security Suite-xfinity version.

A shortcut on the desktop for the norton security suite only shows up when a major update is downloaded/installed or when you are doing a brand new installation. I do know that.

I don't have identity safe? There used to be that and the toolbar as well for firefox which I miss because it highlighted the websites and there current safe rating in your search engine that you might use like google. The current one doesn't do that anymore?

This is the first time i have seen, that norton did some kind of strange update that would put out a shortcut on the desktop like some installation happened without notice.  Any xfinity employee input on this?

@Usulyre

@Usulyre wrote:

Hi and thanks for your reply. I have win 10 x64 pro and firefox but ms edge is set to default but i dont use it. This for two computers, the other is win 7 x64 pro and ie as default  but I dont use it.

Thanks for that info, and although I do not feel it is impacting you at present time, it is recommended that Fast Start is disabled in Win 8 and Win10 per the following:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

I have automatic updates disabled, I'm just a person that like to manually update software, as if you have a bunch of auto updates for so many programs that can be really conflicting especially if they restart your pc at any point in time.

The following explains basically how Automatic LiveUpdate functions.  

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security/22.15.1.8/solutions/v15467109_ns_retail_en_us?

As you can see - it also gives you the option on the restart if one is required.

I usually update norton every day once a day and twice at a time. I have 22.15.1.8 and its Norton Security Suite-xfinity version.

that apearIf you run manual LiveUpdate once a day (even 2 or 3 times at that same time), the function of auto Live Update is to ensure your definitions are up to date and if there is a new threat defintion, it will also run a Quick Scan to verify that new threat is not present on your system.  By running a manual LiveUpdate once a day you could be missing out on the detection of new threats that appear dyring the day.

A shortcut on the desktop for the norton security suite only shows up when a major update is downloaded/installed or when you are doing a brand new installation. I do know that.

By chance is this the explaination of the ICON you are seeing on your desktop?

Noton download manager.PNG

I don't have identity safe? There used to be that and the toolbar as well for firefox which I miss because it highlighted the websites and there current safe rating in your search engine that you might use like google. The current one doesn't do that anymore?

I am not an avid Firefox user.  I do know the Norton Tool Bar is no longer available in Firefox, but I will switch over to Firefox and try to come up with some suggestions for you to regain the functions you miss such as the safe rating in my next post.

This is the first time i have seen, that norton did some kind of strange update that would put out a shortcut on the desktop like some installation happened without notice. 

A screen shot of the  shortcut may assist in identifyng what you are seeing.

Any xfinity employee input on this?

An Xfinity employee will not be capable of assisting with this Norton situation, the assist would have to come from Norton.  You may try contacting Norton Support @   https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/contact-chat?inid=hho_supp_sp-email_contact-chat  and be sure to tell them you are using the older Norton Security Suite, Xfinity (Comcast) version of Norton.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Hi, I don't have fast start enabled in win 10.

I'm alright with updating just once per day.

The shortcut present at that time is not the download manager but the icon that one could click if one wanted to open norton security suite main window.

Yes please let me know if you come up with suggestions regarding the norton firefox toolbar.

Sorry, I deleted the icon but if i get it back I can upload it.

I might contact norton at that link too, thanks.

@Usulyre

Have you tried to install the Norton Safe Search extension in Firefox?  I have installed it and it functions similar with the sight ratings as Google did with the Norton Toolbar.

Norton Safe Search.PNG

I would be curious what Norton support had to say - if you contact them.

New Poster

yes i have had that installed but it doesn't work for google search, and it doesn't highlight websites-ratings when you search, it only displays and possibly blocks sites only after you click on the website link or type and enter the website directly.

I'll try to contact norton too and will update here if anything to update.

New Poster

Shortcut created.

shortcutnorton.jpg