Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Norton subscription has been canceled

New Poster

Norton subscription has been canceled

I'm not sure why I keep getting this alert.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and it works for a few days, but it eventually says that my subscription has been canceled.  Can you assist with this?

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Norton subscription has been canceled

Sending you a PM 

Regular Visitor

Hi...Jon.... just got this message AGAIN... I've reinstalled norton 3 times over the last month, and 10 days ago, I had a NORTON person

take control of my computer, and he removed norton with the removal tool, and reinstalled HIMSELF....now guess what, got the message ....today...

So, is this problem with NORTON, or with the COMCAST database???  When I talk to comast, they say to talk to norton, when I talk to norton, they ask

if I owe money to comcast....so what gives.... I've been reading that this has been a problem since last fall with different users.... I just got hit with it

recently.... (as a matter of fact, I upgraded to a new triple play package in January)....does this have something to do with it??  Who should I talk to

at COMCAST to straighten this out??

Thanks for the advice....

SLordmo

New Poster

Received the same error today as well

Regular Visitor

My subscription was cancelled by provider and my PIN is no longer valid. Is it the same for you?

New Poster

Yes this was my issue as well. Interestingly enough I clicked the link to contact Comcast instead of the other 2 and it took me, eventually, to a page that guides through a new install. I followed that process until it gave the new pin, copied it, then pasted it to the webpage at the end of the installation when it asked. This reactivated Norton and it seems to be working fine now. Not sure if that’s clear, but hope it helps!
Valued Contributor

Sending all three of you PMs ..

Essentially, that message will appear if you’ve cancelled your xfinity internet subscription. If you’re a current paying xfinity internet subscriber and get the cancellation notice, something is wrong in one of our databases and we would need to investigate.
New Poster

Hi - I've got the same issue; Norton says cancelled; I've reinstalled it.  Same message.  I'm up to date with payments.  

Frequent Visitor

I also got this message.  I downloaded the norton package from comcast and started it.  when it began to install a message came up that said "previous version found and is being deleted."

BUT it never stops and I can't cancel the program from task manager or by restarting the computer.  Each time it restarts and says please wait.

Any Ideas??  Comcast live chat was no help.

Mack

Hi All,

First of all, as JonMcB_Norton stated, this normally occurs when there is some corruption between the Norton and Comcast data bases, which sometimes is corrected by a reinstall of Norton and at other times, requires an assist from Norton or Comcast to correct the corruption.  

There is a verification that occurs periodcially between the two data bases -  in simple terms, Comcast verifies you are still a paid user of Comcast, and then "tells" Norton that you are currently a customer and to "renew" (from lack of a better term) your Norton subscription through Comcast.  If something goes awry during the handshake between the two data bases, a fully paid up customer will receive the dreaded cancelled notice.

I have seen where a simple reinstall (per this link) works to correct this situation, I have seen where a Chat with Norton has fixed it and I have also seen where Norton needs to obtain your PIN and then verify with Comcast that the PIN should still be active.  

DO NOT post you PIN in the open forum.  If asked for a PIN respond by PM.

Valued Contributor

@mackschwing  Your issue sounds different than those in this thread. I've sent you a PM

Regular Visitor

I don't understand.  Comcast is my IP and Norton is available to me at no cost.  Don't know why it would have been canceled.  What do I need to do to get it reinstated.

Jame Crane

Regular Visitor

Count me in as well.  I'm getting the same message. 

Regular Visitor

I have received the same cancellation message today, and I have not cancelled my Xfinity internet. In fact, I am enrolled in autopay and have ensured that I am up to date on payments.

Frequent Visitor

Same here. I've also noticed that my TV Apps that use the internet such, as YouTube aren't working.

New Poster

Same problem as apparently everyone else.  Have fully removed and re-installed Norton but it never prompts for the pin.  A day later the cancellation message appears. 

New Poster

There is something bigger going on here.  I got the message on both my laptop and my desktop last night.  Norton support took control of my machine and reinstalled, complete with a PIN. Everything was fine until an hour ago, when the message came back.  

To add to all this, I have had regular outages since April 9 in my area:  both cable and Internet.  Comcast confirmed last night this was something on their end.

I have a hard time believing these two things aren’t related.  This is totally unacceptable at $160+/month.

Frequent Visitor

Have the same problem with all 4 computers in the house.  Removed and reinstalled Norton three times.  Contacted Norton and provided my PIN and tech verified PIN was active,  He removed and reinstalled Norton remotely which worked fine until Live Update ran and installed the latest patch..  I'm now back to square 1.

aardvark777 (and others with same situation)

Please see the following Knowledge Based Article pertaining to your situation and try it on one of your systems:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-suite/current/solutions/kb20100602120242EN_EndUs...

Use the advanced option (Remove Only) of the tool (Step 5) and then return (Step 8) to the NSS download page and begin the install.

That''s the short version - hopefully you can follow it - please let us know if it helps.

New Poster

I also have this problem, It's occurred three times in last month.  Get your databases fixed. This is frustrating and potentially opening me up to infection!!!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

This is the procedure I follwed for the second and third attempt to remove and reinstall Norton. I believe this is also what the Norton tech followed.  There is a recent 3-part 103 MB live update that seems to be causing my problem.  Is it possible to see a history of what updates have been performed in Norton?

@aardvark777 wrote:

This is the procedure I follwed for the second and third attempt to remove and reinstall Norton. I believe this is also what the Norton tech followed.  There is a recent 3-part 103 MB live update that seems to be causing my problem.  Is it possible to see a history of what updates have been performed in Norton?

From the main page of NSS, slect Securtiy > History > LiveUpdate from the drop down after you select the down arrow behind Recent History.  The info on the most recent version update is here:  https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2214-product-update-availa...

BTW what is the version of you NSS? (main page > Help > About)

Frequent Visitor

Thank You for your reply. I contacted Xfinity, who in turn, put me in touch with a Norton representative. That person, via remote, took care of my issue. Or so I thought. As MANY other customers have stated in the forums, the problem came back the very next day. So, the issue remains, is this a Norton problem or a Xfinity issue? In any event, many people that rely on this are unprotected. 

Contributor

Mine happens every 2 days, on all of my pc's

Hi All,

JonMcB_Norton, a Norton employee is working on this and has logged a defect with the engineering team responsible for this situation.  Remember Rome was not built in a day, as we find more lues as to why/how this is happening, he will pass theinfo on to that team.  

Something I am curious about is those who have this situation should have a PIN stored on their system as described below:

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 10/8/7/Vista: C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt
In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

If you would please copy that PIN down and then go to:  http://constantguard.comcast.net/norton?cid=NET_33_601

you will see a PIN on the next page after selecting the red Get Norton Security Suite Button.  Those PINs should be identical.  If not write both down and let us know.

Now if you have copied your PIN down from the text file on your ystem and you have once again received the Activation cancelled notice and a request for a PIN - enter that PIN in lieu of reinstalling Norton and let us know if it is activated.

Also if the need exists to go through Norton to have them log onto your system to reinstall Norton, check to see if the PIN in the text file has been changed from what it was before Norton reinstalled NSS.

Addtionally, the PIN should be the same PIN on all of the systems you have NSS installed on.

New Poster

Exactly my situation for over a week now, spending hours a day getting absolutely no answers. I'm done. I'll keep reinstalling it 1-2 times a day until I figure out how to drop Comcast and Norton.

Regular Visitor

I'm with you my friend, I've tried every day for over a week to get the problem corrected with no success.  I've talked to Norton and Comcast both are blaming the other.  I'm under contract until August, then my friend, they can kiss my tail goodbye.  

New Poster

I've have the same problem. It appeared yesterday. I checked pin numbers in both locations per your suggestion.  They are different. The pin number in Symantec documents folder (last modified in 2012) is different from the one given at the start of the download.  This account has been on auto pay for years. -- What if I change the pin in documents to match the download pin? 

Valued Contributor

Changing the pin in the document will not resolve the issue.  You'll want to reinstall through the Comcast website so that it uses that new pin number in the installation.  It sounds like at some point your account number with Comcast must have changed. 

Frequent Visitor

I have 2 different text files in the Symantec folder with 2 different PIN's. Neither match the PIN from the Norton Download Manager. Also, sorry, but I'm a bit of a pesimist. This seems to have been going on for a while, If they can't figure this out, can they protect our computers.

Contributor

This has happened to me EVERY single day for over a week!

I call Norton, they say it is temporary and Comcast is refreshing their server. It will be fixed in 48 to 72 hours.

I have had to reset my Norton subscription at least 12 times!

Enough is enough. FIX THE PROBLEM!

Frequent Visitor

Yes, the PINs are different.  But even after I provided the Norton tech with my Comcast PIN and he removed and reinstalled NSS using the Comcast PIN, the file on the computer still shows the old PIN dated 2012!  When I try to remove and reinstall, the installation program never prompts me for a PIN or to activate the program.  Is there a way to reactivate after installation?

Valued Contributor

"Yes, the PINs are different. " - If the pins are different, one pin was most likely cancelled and the only way to fix that is to go through the comcast product page to download and reinstall.

"But even after I provided the Norton tech with my Comcast PIN and he removed and reinstalled NSS using the Comcast PIN, the file on the computer still shows the old PIN dated 2012! "  - The file with the pin number is a text file for your reference and is not used by the program from a licensing perspective.

"When I try to remove and reinstall, the installation program never prompts me for a PIN or to activate the program.  Is there a way to reactivate after installation?"  - By default, if you go through the comcast product page to download and install, the pin will be injected in the download and you should not have to enter it.  Go ahead and run live update until it is current (security tab in the interface.. run about 5 times and a reboot in the middle to get to 22.14).  Make sure it is in a green "you are protected" status with no orange or red error messages. 

New Poster

I've done everything you suggested. It still cancels every day or two.

And I'm just fed up with all of it. Looking into alternatives this week, and hopefully this will all be a bad memory soon.

New Poster

I started to get this problem on 4/25/18. I reinstalled Norton from the comast website download and it seemed to fix the issue. Today I restarted my computer and got the deactivation cancelled subscription error message again. Searched for anyone else who has had this problem and found this thread.

I followed the instructions to find the activation PIN under My Documents/Symatntec/Norton Security_PIN.txt and then looked it up on the comcast download manager per  

Security Expert's instructions. Found out that the PIN's were different.

So, I copied the PIN from the download page and pasted it in place of the existing PIN in my Norton Security_PIN.txt file and saved. Then went to the Norton Security Suite on my desktop, clicked the I have resolved the issue, reactivate link and when the Service Activation website came up, I entered the PIN I got from the Norton Security Suite download page and clicked Activate. It showed my device name, and I clicked Activate again. It's working so far. We'll see if I get the message in a couple days again. Fingers crossed.

Regular Visitor

I just did the steps that you listed and it does show active now, but like you said "fingers crossed".  I think Comcast/Xfinity owes us all a bill credit. We collectively have spent way too much time on this matter, without any real, useful assistance from them.

The last two posts are encouraging - in regards to a work around that will hold over time.

I'm sure you will keep us all informed and thanks fpr the feedback.

Frequent Visitor

I just got the cancellation message again.  I followed the directions about re-activating with the comcast PIN and it is now fixed.  I am also crossing my fingers...

Mack

New Poster

Thank you for this info.  Even though I reinstalled Norton several times, it apparently reverted back to an old PIN on my local system.  I was able to update my subscription using the PIN that's shown on my Comcast/Norton download page.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't revert to my old PIN again.

Regular Visitor

Hi, All;

I had 2 machines that kept 'cancelling', and another 2 of my machines were fine....(one I just had to do a new hard drive, so it got a brand new clean install of norton, but the other one was an older machine with win7...but it had been on an existing xfinity account).... the 2 machines that have been cancelling were from a cancelled xfinity account from my previous home location (which was cancelled in 2014, but have been running fine on the xfinity account at my new location).  

I have performed that revalidation that 'sfmethod' mentioned in his previous post...(changing the .txt file to the new PIN, and  then telling norton that you have a new subscription and have resolved the issue, then enter the NEW PIN)  It seems to accept it right away...and turns the Icon Red X into

a Green CheckMark.

I had done the so-called 'removal tool' several times.... but it never seemed to delete all of the norton files... (I think that is where the problem lies...

the newer updates of the software are now checking what's on the drive, and are finding those OLD PIN files....)  I've seen peoples comments saying the PIN numbers they have are different.... so were mine... maybe you could pass this info along to Norton.... maybe they'll get a clue....

Well.....enough ranting.... and I've got my fingers and toes crossed....hope I don't see a RED X anytime soon....

Thanks,

SLordMo

Regular Visitor

I don't know if I'm having the same problem, but it sounds like it. I am installing Constant Guard on my computer. When it first installs it says everything is fine, but once I run updates it says my subscription has expired, and that I need to renew it. Clicking renew takes me to the Norton storefront. I was never asked to type in a pin, and there was no Symantec folder in my Documents folder after installing.

When I go to Help -> My Norton, it asks me to sign in, and shows my old email I used for the paid version of Norton I had before getting Comcast. Going to Help -> Subscription Status shows it as "Norton Security Deluxe", and after running updates the Constant Guard logo disappears from the front page of the Norton program. Is it somehow reverting itself to the regular consumer version of Norton when it updates?

Hi Rinpengu and welcome to the forums,

First of all it does sound like you may be picking up your old retail Norton installation.  The Comcast install needs to be installed via the recommended method of changing from the retail version of Norton to the Comcast version is in the following link:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suite/ta-...

Be sure to use a fresh Comcast version of the download of Norton from the Red Get Norton Security Suite button and run LiveUpdate as instructed.

Before you change anything, you may desire to see if in fact you have a 25 digit Product Key (used for retail products) or a 13 digit PIN used for Comcast's version in the following location:

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 10/8/7/Vista: C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt
In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

Please let us know how things go and you know where to find us if you need any more help.

New Poster

so two weeks ago this happened on the three windows 7 desktops in my office.  I did the uninstall reinstall thing and have had no problems on 2 of the machines.  however, 1 machine gives me the same problem  every week, ie it happened for the third time just now.

before I spend the time to uninstall reinstall again, I'm wondering what the best move forward is.  should I install avg or something else while norton/comcast figure things out.  or is there a different process that now works?

thanks for the help

New Poster

OK.  I Followed the instruction to change the pin in the txt file.  up an running again... for now

thx

OkO Chris,

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.  Please keep an eye on it and let us know if all stay OK!

New Poster

I've had this same problem 3 times now....I've uninstalled and reinstalled Norton...Message comes up "Your Subscription has been cancelled"?!!  I've called Comcast and they were of no help  :-(

@jsat1 wrote:

I'm not sure why I keep getting this alert.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and it works for a few days, but it eventually says that my subscription has been canceled.  Can you assist with this?

Thanks

New Poster

Norton subscription has been canceled for the fourth time!!!! PAY YOUR BILLS XFINITY!  This is rediculous!

@all,

As long as it is kept civil, there is no heartburn over users ranting in this thread - HOWEVER it would be appreciated if they would include info in regards to which suggestions  posted previously in this thread they attempted and the results.   It is only fair to all users to read all the suggested fixes and especially those pertaining to PINS that have corrected the situation for others.

New Poster

This has been ongoing now for 15 days straight! What is the issue? When can we expect a software patch?

Regular Visitor

My Norton started working today. I had talked to both Comcast and Norton in the past two weeks. Who knows what they’re doing?!?!?!