Community Forum

Norton stopped working and I can't uninstall to reinstall it

New Poster

Norton stopped working and I can't uninstall to reinstall it

Windows 10

Norton kept giving me a big red X saying I wasn't protected and it had a "Fix It Now" button.  When I clicked it, it did a scan that didn't find any viruses, but it still said I wasn't protected.  Windows was also complaining that I wasn't protected. I figured that something probably got messed up in the recent Windows update, so I figured I'd reinstall Norton.

I went to "Programs/Features" and click "uninstall", and it starts to uninstall, but stays on a screen saying "Please wait."  It stayed there all night.  I tried rebooting and doing it again with the same result.

When I go into Norton Security Suite, it says that my signatures are out of date.  I manually did an update, but it gave an error trying to apply the update.

At this point, I figured I'd just redownload the latest and install it and hope it fixed issues.  But now it's stuck trying to uninstall the old one while installing the new one.

Something is really broken here.  I'm adept at using the registry and msconfig, so if anyone has any ideas on how I can manually clean this up and delete the files so I can reinstall it, I'd be very appreciative.

New Poster

Re: Norton stopped working and I can't uninstall to reinstall it

I found the Norton Remediation tool, and that fixed whatever problem was happening. 

Then I was able to download the Remove and Replace tool and remove the old version, and the new one installed.