Community Forum

Norton activation pin

New Poster

Norton activation pin

I keep gettting asked for a activation pin...I never recieved one. Anyone else deal with this?

Re: Norton activation pin

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 10/8/7/Vista: C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt
In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Also, if you don't have it in the text file above, you can go through the link on the Xfinity product page to download Norton Security Suite. 

https://constantguard.xfinity.com/

2018-04-17_12-03-52.jpg

The pin number will be listed on the download page (you dont have to download and install to get it. It is just on the download page after Comcast authenticates you and authenticates with the Norton servers).  Dont post or share your pin publicly.

New Poster

The pin is on the download page. If the product can't be installed, there won't be a symantec folder. To install, I am being asked to enter the PIN. The pin offered is being rejected. Comcast told me to contact Norton. This is very confusing since I have installed Comcast/norton on numerous computers and have never been asked to enter the pin. I only have one pointing finger and it aimed at Comcast.

@mogonus

Are you trying to follow the instructions for the latest version of Norton Security Online now offered by Comcast?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-H...

If so, did you previously set up a Norton Account (email address and password) for use - perhaps with a retail Norton Product?  If you already had a Norton Account set up, it would use the log in for that Norton Account in lieu of setting up a new Norton Account.

Please let us know more details of your situation.  Initial install, reinstall, previous Anti-virus etc. and we'll try to figure this out for you. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

what is pin code for norton activation

Frequent Visitor

norton activation pin?

See my post above:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/Norton-activation-pin/m-p/307412...

and the post after it.

New Poster

A couple of things first.

I have in the past installed and reinstalled Norton from Comcast over a dozen times on various computers I have had. The process went smoothly.

This latest time, I was presented with the request to enter the pin number, BEFORE Norton was downloaded to my computer. I know that the pin is located in the Symantec folder but the folder doesn't exist until AFTER Norton is installed.

The reasons for so many installs has to to with Computer upgrades and replacements, which include wiping the drive so that it can be used by another family member, or a clean install of Windows XP thru Windows 10.

In the past when I have reinstalled Norton I was presented with a list of computers that I had Norton installed on. I needed to "reassign" a computer to a new name when necessary.

When I contacted Comcast/Xfinity support about this, I was first told to uninstall the old Norton. When I told the help desk person that Norton wasn't installed, so there was nothing to uninstall. I spent at least 20 minutes with the help desk which included a request from them to create a new Norton account. Finally, No Joy! I was sent a copy of the installation instructions and told to call Norton since it wasn't a Comcast problem. Norton says it's Comcast.

I needed to install Norton on my Android phone and also a tablet. I purchased a multiple device license the the Android units. I was able to use one of the licenses from that to get my HP Laptop protected; so currently I am protected. However, with the time spent on this problem, I am looking into an alternative Security Suite when my private license expired. I have used McAfee, Norton and Kasperski in the past and have never had any issue with Kasperski.

Sorry to vent so much. I retired after 37 years of doing computer service, both hadware and software in 2011 and thought I was done with it.

@mogonus

Vent away - some folks get upset with it, I try to use a rant to determine the level of assistance the user (ranter) needs to help them through their situation.  You obviously are well versed, so I'll try my best to get you through this without a lot of details you may already be aware of.

I have to ask if you are aware that Comcast is now offering a new version of Norton Security Online.  This version uses a Norton Account and has more functions on the More Norton Square of the dashboard than the older Comcast Norton Security Suite version.  Once installed,  you can select the More Norton square and see an option for Manage my Protection which will list all the devices you have Norton installed on. It will also display your PIN (for Comcast version) or your Product Key for retail versions of Norton.  This is different from the older version that only displayed the installations when you exceeded the permitted  number of installs.

It sounds like you have purchased Norton Mobile Security and installed on your Android devices, and then located the function to install it on other devices by entering an email address and then opening that email on the device (your laptop) you desired to install Norton on. 

Once you go to the following, and get to #3 in the instuctions, you can click that link, and then select the RED Button labeled Get Norton Security Online, you should see the image below the following link.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/NEW-Norton-Security-Online-and-H...

Setup.PNG
This image should display your 13 digit PIN (which I have blacked out for obvious reasons). Ensure you are logged into your Comcast Primary User account. You would select Returning User and enter the user name (email address) and password for your Norton Account (already associated with your Norton Mobile Security). Things should then progress similar to the way you added your laptop through the Mobile App.

<Edit> It has been a while since I went though this and there has been some updates to the installation. The PIN may not appear until after you have Norton Securtiy Online installed, however it should be picked up automtically during the activation.  You may also find the follwoing information helpful after you have the Comcast version installed:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-norton-security-online

Please let us know if this has helped any.

New Poster

Thanks Senior MS for the patience. I got the "new and improved" instructions and took care of my issues.

Mogonus E-3 from a different era. Go Wheelus and Ent.

Good news.  

A football  team I played on @ Sembach AB,Germany played an all star team from Wheelus in 1966!