Community Forum

Norton Security update calls - scam?

New Poster

Norton Security update calls - scam?

I keep getting calls from a Comcast number talking about how they're trying to update my Norton.  Some calls are automated, some are an actual human being.  From my conversations with the human, I'm thinking this is a scam, but can anyone confirm?

Re: Norton Security update calls - scam?

@JDBreeze1 

Exactly what are these calls in regards to your upgrading - Norton Interent Security to Norton Secuirity Online or regardless of which of the before moentioned one you have to upgrade to Norton 360? The more info you can provde the better we can try to get an answer.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

They've taken two forms. One is a prerecorded message that says "Dear user, we are in the process of updating your Norton Security Suite". Then it says to press 1 to speak to a person, but I haven't tried that.

The other is a call from an actual person saying that they're trying to update my Norton but something is being blocked. Then they ask me what lights are blinking on the front of my modem. When I answered that, he said "that's not a good sign, can you check something for me". The first time he called I couldn't check anything at that time. The second time I put the phone down to turn on my PC, but by the time I got back to the phone we had gotten disconnected.
Official Employee

Hi there, JDBreeze1. 

Do you have the phone number that called you? 

Thanks for posting to our forums! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I'm pretty sure the caller ID is saying the 1-800-COMCAST number.
Official Employee

Ok, let me pull up your account @JDBreeze1

I want to double check into this for you because when I tried searching in general, I could not find much. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

THIS IS A SCAM

Regular Visitor

I received the same call.  I hung up thinking it was a scam

New Poster

@ComcastMartin I tried to send you a message, but I could not find the send message link on your profile.

For what it's worth, I have not gotten any of these calls for about a week now, so I am still pretty confident that this was a scam.
Official Employee

Understood!

I have not heard of Norton calling so I had a feeling that it was not real. 

Thank you for reaching out though! This thread will help other customers who might experience the same thing. 

Did you have any other questions? 

Regular Visitor

I am still receiving these calls almost every other day.  They come with a caller id of Comcast and a phone number of 1-800-266-2278.  I let it go to voice mail.  He left a message with him saying his name ( Eric something, I'm not sure) then going into an automated request to call for a technician for a Norton security upgrade.  Is this a scam?

Thanks,

Deborah Comeau

@dmboom ,

Please go to the followng URL:

https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/

Select Report Spam and huishing and the follow the directions.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

have had this call from Comcast Customer Service outbound number, I I have named it on my phone directory as it is the number from which call-backs come when I have a genuine issue) ... a recorded (American) male voice saying I need to press 1 to speak to a "Technical Officer" to upgrade my Norton Antivirus. I have just spent over 40 minutes on the phone with Xfinity Customer Service, finally got to a supervisor who is trying to reach Customer Security Assurance. It seems  likely there is both a breach of the Xfinity customer database, and the contact center VOIP network, with spoofing of the "from" number. This is the fourth time at least in the past 2 years I have tried to report these serious breaches ... and varying Spam calls from "Comcast CS" 

New Poster

These are phone calls, not emails.

Regular Visitor

I also called the Comcast Security number and explained it all to a " George".  He said since that was the general number for Comcast it must be real.  No call to a supervisor or anything.  I'm not sure I'm buying his explanation.

New Poster

I also got a call from an actual Xfinity number about Norton Security. I went to my Norton Security on-line account  and everything checked ok. I called Norton and they said it is a scam call. 

Official Employee

Hello, all. 

I'm sorry to hear about these issues! I would recommend reaching out to our Security Assurance team at 1-888-565-4329 to report phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues.