Community Forum

Norton Security Suite uninstall fails when attempting to replace with Norton Security Online

Highlighted
Contributor

Norton Security Suite uninstall fails when attempting to replace with Norton Security Online

I first tried to uninstall old Norton Security Suite (NSS) using normal uninstall under "Programs and Features" within Windows Control Panel.  It fails ... hangs.  I have encountered this problem before on another computer/occasion and had to use a third-party uninstaller to force-uninstall it.  Then I tried to install Norton Security Online (NSO) which I was able to download from the Xfinity website.  When I attempted to install NSO, it also hung as it tried to first uninstall old NSS.  This is obviously a Norton problem, but it is interferring with Xfinity change-over from NSS to NSO.  Any thoughts or ideas? 

Highlighted

Re: Norton Security Suite uninstall fails when attempting to replace with Norton Security Online

@suisun_sue 

Pease go to the following link for the removal of NSS:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881

Scroll down to the "I need help removing Norton" Section
Complete Steps 1 thru 7.

After restart follow the steps in the following link:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20090225160423EN

Please let us know if this got your sorted out.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Norton Security Suite uninstall fails when attempting to replace with Norton Security Online

When I run Norton Remove and Reinstall, it hangs on the uninstall step.  Remeber that I previously uninstalled NSS thru Control Panel uninstall, but Norton R&R cannot seem to handle this; nor can the NSO install process as I stated in my original post.  The original NSO install seemed to be proceding just fine until it came to the panel which asked what uninstall options I wanted, and then hung. 

Highlighted
Contributor

I am sorry ... the procedure you outlined did work!  It's just that the uninstall and reinstall steps each took an excruciatingly long time to complete, possibly due to my slow computer, a 10 year old laptop with 2K of memory.  But now when I attempt to activate NSO via the shortcut on my desktop, nothing happens?  But NSO is shown in my list of installed apps.  This doesn't sound right?  How can I tell if NSO is really there and functioning/protecting? 

Highlighted

@suisun_sue 

After you installed NSO, did you run LiveUpdate until such time as it responds "no updates found"? 

Havbe yu tried to restart your system after the NSO install?

Perhaps it is time to ask what is your operating system and what is your default browser - in order to try to nail down yor situation a bit farther.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for staying with me on this.  I don't have Live Update, but when I try to download/install it, I get "can't run on my motherboard."  Should I try to reinstall NSO that I obtained from the Comcast website under my account ... I still have the downloaded file?  It seemed to first uninstall any old Norton that was previously there. 

Highlighted

Please check your system information against the following system requirements for running Norton Anti-virus - your system may be too old to run the NSO program:

Norton™ AntiVirus System Requirements

In order to run Norton™ AntiVirus software your computer must meet the following system requirements:

Windows XP:
• 300 MHz or faster processor.
• 256 MB RAM.
• 300 MB available hard disk space.
• CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download).
• Internet Explorer 7.0 or later, Firefox 3.0 or later.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
• 1 GHz for Microsoft Windows Vista/Microsoft Windows 7
• 512 MB of RAM.
• 300 MB of available hard disk space.
• CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download).
• Internet Explorer 7.0 or later, Firefox 3.0 or later.

Windows 8:
• 1 GHz for Microsoft.
• 512 MB of RAM.
• CD-ROM or DVD drive(if not installing via electronic download.
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher (32-bit only) and Mozilla Firefox (32-bit only).

Windows 10:
• 1 GHz for Microsoft.
• 512 MB of RAM.
• CD-ROM or DVD drive(if not installing via electronic download.
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher (32-bit only) and Mozilla Firefox (32-bit only).

Norton AntiVirus supports all POP3 and SMTP compatible email clients.

Highlighted
Contributor

I have 4.0 GB Ram, 2.00 GHz, 64 bit, so think I am OK to run NS.  I looked at my files referencing NS, and it seems to be loaded in all the right places.  Just can't determine if it's really working/protecting ... assume not.  Anyway, I am not going to chase it further at this time, as I feel I am adequately protected through WIndows Security / Windows Defender, which are built into Win 10.  As time goes by, hopefully more info will surface on NSO.  Thanks again for your help.