Community Forum

Norton Security Suite Admin password

Valued Contributor

Norton Security Suite Admin password

Forgot my Administration password to adjust settings in my Norton Security Suite, Settings-Administration-Firewall-Antivirus etc... Had it written down but got washed(you can set a password for settings within the software making it more secure. Settings-Adminstration Settings-Settings Password protection-switch to ON-enter your password) Write it down and don`t lose it, it cannot be recovered.

I had to remove Norton and reinstall it. Here is what I had to do; Download Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool  Clicked Advanced Options, select Remove only-Restarted when done. Go here and Download Norton Created a Norton Account, (Last time I installed Norton thru Comcast. you didn`t have to create an Online account with Norton) continued the install process. 

I asked this Question, but didn`t ever get an answer. So I winged it, and fixed the problem!

Valued Contributor

Re: Norton SS password

No Help? Even you USAF?

@Gambit66 

Glad to hear you got it sorted and I have kudoed your original post since you came back with the corrective action which may help others.  Thanks for the feedback!

I am sorry I wasn't available to supply an answer to your question within in the  1  1/2  hour window between your posts yesterday afternoon.  I can not observe all the posts as they are made, but usually do look at posts in the AM.

BTW, you in fact downloaded the new Norton Security Online (NSO) .

As NSO can also protect your mobile devices, there must be a Norton Account associated with it, that is the reason you had to create the Noton Account.

Let us know if you have any addtional questions.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info! NSO, good to know!

I know, I`m a little impatient, sorry about that.

Also chatted with Norton about it, just to make sure there was no way to recover the admin password,  not recoverable! Must Remove and Reinstall if this happens.

It was a pretty smooth process, faster than usual, and did not have any issues.

Thanks again USAF!

@Gambit66 

It has been quite awhile since I have had to reinstall NSO - I am curious if you experienced the same thing as @JohnUSA  did in the following thread:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/Why-Comcast-provides-a-very-old-...

As an update, I still have not heard any definitive info from Norton.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Good news at last.

Comcast and Norton have at last updated the Norton Security version that it is provided to Comcast Internet customers. I just checked it and happy to say that the lastest version is now being provided to us.

It took many long months to do this but after I complained long enough the right action was at last taken.

A question to both lazy Comcast and Norton:

Why did it take you so looooooong to update Norton Security?

A big shame on both of you.

@JohnUSA 

Thanks so much for the feedback - finally no one has to go through all those updates - until???   LOL

I have been pushing these updates with both Norton and Comcast becoming more timely for as long as I can remember, and it seems like sooner or later they get updated - of course sometimes it appears to be by accident!

Thanks for keeping on top of this!

Valued Contributor

@USAF_E-8_RET 

Nope, that thread is off topic to my problem. I lost my admin password which is not recoverable. The only fix is remove and reinstall. Just out of that experience I discovered that there was a newer version of Norton. Which requires that customers create a Norton account, as you stated.

Both new and old versions have no recoverable measures to recover the Administration password for settings. Which is a good thing and makes it more secure. So if you set up the admin password, don`t lose it!

When I mentioned the last time I installed Norton, was when we got a new computer.