Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

More Norton nag screens and popups - any way to disable them?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

More Norton nag screens and popups - any way to disable them?

Why do the Norton programmers insist on these stupid nag screens and popups?  It was bad enough when I was harrassed weekly for more than 6 months with their "Create a Norton Account" ridiculousness.  And I wasn't the only one annoyed by Norton.  My help thread in this forum went on so long, the admins finally decided to lock it after more than a year:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/Disable-or-stop-Norton-Security-S...

Now I've encountered 8 new popups, all pointless advertising for Norton features that I don't want, I don't find useful, and that I've known about for years anyway.

I've been infected with malware twice.  Both times, the infections were a result of malware that spoofed Windows notifications (Win XP & Win 7) in the system tray - one for fake Java updates and one for fake Flash updates.  Perhaps Windows 10 now makes those types of spoofs impossible.  However, at a very basic level, all Norton is doing with these nag screens is forcing (and training) people to interact with useless information in the Notification area.  Sooner or later, someone will figure out how to do the same thing with a new malware program - possibly even a fake Norton screen.

I have "Special Offer Notifications" set to OFF.  Is there some setting that has changed, or a setting I'm missing?  This has been going on since January.  My current version is 22.14.0.54.  I've received at least two Patch updates in the last few months, if that helps narrow down a timeline / version.

Please forgive my rant.  I just want Norton to do its business, shut up, and leave me alone unless absolutely necessary.

NortonBS1.jpgNortonBS2.jpgNortonBS3.jpgNortonBS4.jpgNortonBS5.jpgNortonBS6.jpgNortonBS7.jpgNortonBS8.jpg

Security Expert

Re: More Norton nag screens and popups - any way to disable them?

Hi ChuckTC,

Not tryng to be a smart aleck - but have you tried the "No thanks, do not how again"?

JonMcB_Norton (a Norton employee) is back on the forums and I have alerted him to your most recent rant - let's see if he has any addtional info. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation