Community Forum

MAC/Norton expertise needed

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

MAC/Norton expertise needed

I recently had a kernal panic which resulted in my MAC needing to be wiped clean and the OS reinstalled. The kernal panic apparently was caused by a well known and respected antivirus program I had installed.

When I spoke with my local Apple Store they said MAC OS has built-in malware protection and I don't need additional protection. However, if I desire an extra layer of security, Norton would be fine to install.

I have been hesitant to put another antivirus program on my MAC.

The MAC OS I'm using is Catalina.

I am hoping I can get a non-bias and straight forward answer.

Thank you.
Contributor

Re: MAC/Norton expertise needed

Kernal panics are usually hardware or extension related, but you do occaisionly see with software. If you are using the package as listed in the subject, I would stay far, far away from it. That software and Macs do not play well together and from past experience (personal and working software tech support). I run Sophos on both of my Macs as well as Malware Bytes. Mt desktop is El Capitan and the laptop is Catalina. Both run fine without any issues. I have seen very little resource use or other issues with my current setup. The other software used to be a resource hog and would often flag an OS file as a malicious file and quarentine it. Have seen this both in WIndoze and Mac.

Homer

Regular Contributor

Re: MAC/Norton expertise needed

Thank you for the response. I am currently not using any malware software which includes Norton. Malwarebytes has said that their software isn't currently compatible with Catalina. My local Apple Store has never heard of Intego, which has been around since 1997. This company, according to their website is exclusively for MAC.

https://www.intego.com/