Community Forum

IPv6: Can I just bridge, turn off IPv4 everywhere and go on in Knoxville (no NAT)?

New Poster

IPv6: Can I just bridge, turn off IPv4 everywhere and go on in Knoxville (no NAT)?

What is the status of IPv6 in zip code 37909/ Knoxville, TN.  I see it up on my NAT device and my modes looking to have link locals pointing back to the NAT.  But NAT is useless and unneeded with IPv6 I have heard.  It actually causes problems.  How far out does IPv6 go from my home...to the CO then trunked?  How does IPv6 affect my security?  Do I even need a NAT device?  I'm told or I know that what they are suggesting is a stateful firewall BUT can anyone really afford that?  I heard all kinds of things about how secure IpV6 is but not to devices such as printers and IoT type stuff that is fully exposed, correct?  The OS's now have built-in firewalls and I assume that and the free Norton software is what we get. 

Finally, can I just turn off my router/NAT and IPv4 and let it bridge IPv6?  With your side at Comcast acting as the default router handing out link-local IPv6 addresses?  They are already getting them and it's based on MACs and link local so I know it is getting around the NAT device...   I guess that's my main question, can I just bridge, turn off IPv4 and go on?, because I don't feel many will even understand the first questions.

Chris

Cisco Engineer in my younger days