Community Forum

How can you tell if someone is selling your WiFi?

New Poster

How can you tell if someone is selling your WiFi?

I recently had my son move back in with us. He has never been one for internet security and I’m sure visits some risky sites. I think he might have unknowingly brought a virus or hacker because now since he has moved in with his suspect cellular phone my data usage is up like 200 percent at the very least. I think somehow they might be participating in one of those share your internet for money businesses but I can’t prove it. Please advise
Expert

Re: How can you tell if someone is selling your WiFi?

If you have a Comcast gateway, you can audit and monitor your device usage by going to Xfinity xFi.  (Click here)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you for your response.Yes but couldn’t they sell it through their smart phone? And I wonder why my usage is high this month but it keeps going from device to device that is using it the most.
Expert

@Lazruizjr wrote:
Thank you for your response.Yes but couldn’t they sell it through their smart phone? And I wonder why my usage is high this month but it keeps going from device to device that is using it the most.

Please go to the link I provided - you can then audit and even block any devices you find suspicious. 

Of course, if you don't control their cell service, then there's nothing you can do about that, but at least your WiFi network won't be part of any such scheme. 

And BTW, if you really think your son is up to something illegal, then you may want to contact law enforcement about it. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

That’s good advice, thanks.