Community Forum

Home network indicates weak security after IOS 14.0 update

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Home network indicates weak security after IOS 14.0 update

I just did an IOS 14.0 update.  Now my iPhone and iPad under Wi-Fi settings say that it is weak security and that the router needs to be configured to use a different security type.  A phone call with Xfinity resulted in them merging my two home networks into one and creating a new password.  It is still telling me the same message about having weak security but the technician assured me that it is indeed secure.  Just wondering if anybody else has encountered this?  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Home network indicates weak security after IOS 14.0 update

The warning means that your router is exposing ur Mac address. Go to network settings, wifi, and enable private address. You may need to shut off ur wifi then turn it back on to reconnect to ur network. If you search on You Tube you will find a few videos about this this. Also, make sure ur network is secure. If you have a router with Advanced Security that should work for you.

I do have an eReader that requires only 2.5 ghz network to connect. Xfinity insists that the eReader would find the network and connect but I've seen many posts that indicate otherwise. Good. luck. 

Linda
Highlighted
Expert

https://www.google.com/search?q=Home+network+indicates+weak+security+after+IOS+14.0+update&rlz=1C1SQ...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your help.  Private address was already enabled for my network that says it's weak security.  I have turned off Wi-Fi and back on.  Xfinity is telling me it's Apple's issue and now Apple is saying it's Xfinity's issue.  I do have XFINITY listed under My Networks that has a lock but it doesn't require a password (doesn't say Weak Security under it either).  Private Address is also enabled on this.  I'm curious why this one doesn't require a password but it seems to be more secure than the one that I have a password on.  Apple suggested that I ask Xfinity to configure the router to use WPA 2 (AES) or WPA3 security type.  They said WPA (TKIP) is an older security protocol.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Just curious why you don't just use your routers ssid instead of the hotspot your using? I have iOS 14 and don't get that warning using my routers ssid

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yup, just did the IOS 14 update on my iPad & it shows weak security but instead of calling, I went into the xfinity app & they said it would make it more secure. Still showing weak security however.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Apple suggest to use the private address option when you go into the little blue i next to your SSID name of your wifi. It says Private Address which is the MAC address of your device.

On my updated devices it still says weak security even after i log out, forget network, sign back in etc. I changed the password to the router and wifi and same thing appears.

I basically think since your Xfinity is set to low security by default,Apple is telling you Xfinitys firewall is a security risk.

Im confused myself because Xfinity says its fine in their end. Xfinity has stopped customers from changing anything but the name,password and the security options(open or WPA2 and thats it.

If any Xfinity employee is reading this please help your customers with all this information. A lot of us just pay for you services and depend on you for security etc etc. If were not allowed to change major settings the at least educate the public about whats going on.

For security sake im a using the Apple option and using the private address option. We the people should be more advised about these things. When i called yesterday the agent said she read up all this on FB. Wow!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hello thats all cool and dandy but Xfinity should not be WEP correct? Correct. Sooo then why does it state weak security? No one on Xfinity or any cable provider should be on WEP and since we cant really change this option then why is Apple saying that we are? The google link was great but if dont know jack about all this it still doesnt answer why is weak security showing on our networks?
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

For what's it worth, when I connect on XFINITY on my iPad with 14 IOS I get that warning, when I click on the blue circle with a i in the middle a menu comes up, there is a setting to turn on private browsing,  when I turn that on I can't join the the network, I turn it back off and then I can join the XFINITY network and the message don't appear anymore, maybe a glitch?

Highlighted
New Poster

Having the same problem.
Spoke with Apple representative, My phone carrier Verizon and Comcast ( twice) . Going by the information I received, the problem is Comcast’s, routers do not support WPA3, which seems to be the one the IOS14 update needs. I will be calling Comcast again to find out if there is a compatible router with the proper security I can buy instead of leasing from Comcast and paying for a substandard piece of equipment
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What type of router do you all have? I have the BX6. Although I’ve not updated to iOS 14, I’m curious as to what Xfinity routers it affects.
Linda
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Not a definitive answers yet. Does Xfinity need to supply new router combinations ??
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

iOS 14 update

I updated to iOS 14 and internet now says weak security.
Highlighted
New Poster

IOS 14 Weak Security Flag for xFinity / Comcast WiFi

When I upgraded my iPad to iOS14, I suddenly got a "weak security" message claiming that WPA/WPA2 TKIP is not considered secure and recommending that I configure my XFinity router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3.  But, XFinity doesn't allow me to change the configuration of my router,  And, my McAfee Security app says that there is no security problem with my WiFi.   

Is there a problem with the security of XFinity's WiFi network?  If so, what are you doing about it and when will the problem be resolved?

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: IOS 14 Weak Security Flag for xFinity / Comcast WiFi

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

There is a iOS update available, iOS 14.01, maybe this addresses those issues, I am installing it now

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

There is a new iOS 14.01 update, I am installing it now, maybe it fixes these issues

Highlighted
New Poster

Lastest update 14.0.1 does not fix the issue
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Exactly where does this warning show up? I just did the 14.0.1 update and I don’t see it. I do see “enable private browsing” has a green button.  My husband's iPhone was updated and he does not have that security warning either. We both have the iPhone SE second version. 
Edit:
For what it's worth, I have the Xfinity Home system and a router that looks like an upright fat little block with only one light on top. A few years ago, we had  someone hack into my email and then we began to have problems with our router. I contacted Xfinity and requested that someone come to my home and put in the most secure router they had and get the network locked down. I had to contact our banks, credit card companies, financial advisors and homeowners insurance. We did have to add additional clause on our homeowners for identity theft. The concern that our home security could be accessed which would result in a break in, a claim to insurance and then subrogation to Xfinity due to lack of router security was a concern for our homewoners. Xfinity was very cooperative and told us that no router had ever been hacked, but they did everything we asked. I see locks by all of our home networks on each of our phones. I pay an additional $15 a month for the router and Advanced Security which I control from my Xfi app. I pay additonal $40 a month for my home security system. Xfinity does have a great network crew but you need to ask to speak to them. If you get a person speaking broken English just ask for someoe on the American side to help you. Good luck.
Linda
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

No the update does not fix the issue. Follow the instructions of the above poster. Apparently, my network was already configured for correctly so I never got the warning. 

Linda
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I only seen that warning when I tried to connect to a Xfinity hotspot called 'XFINITY' never on my home network, the hotspot wasn't my router so I have no idea how it was setup

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

My router won't let me change the security settings.  It says:

Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. 

It is set to WPAWPA2/PSK, which Apple says is not secure.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Do you have the BX6 or BX7?  If so you can use the xFi app and adjust the settings. Go to the connect tab then see network and hit the pencil in the upper right corner. You should see all ur home network names and passwords.  There is a grey area with a drop down arrow.  You should be able to adjust the security settings there. 

Linda
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you! That works.
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes my iPhone is but my kids and hubby’s are not and my iPad is not saying it just my phone
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi there, @Leahcat

I want to take a look at your account and research into this for you. Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

ComcastMartin, I clicked on your name but could find no place

to send you a private message. There was nothing to the right either on my iPhone or IPad to send you a message to give you my name.

Can we do this another way as I would like it resolved.

Highlighted
New Poster

I tried logging into the router gateway using my known username and password. They don't work.  I thought I would access the router and change the security settings to the recommended WPA2 AES, or whatever.   I called xfinity and they said I have to log into my xfinity account, change my username AND password, and then I'll be able to access the router.  Uh, that means resetting 27 devices with a new username and password.  Why does the gateway login 10.0.0.1 no longer recognize the username and password, the one I'm using right now?  And if I do actually change the username and password, how do I know it's even going to let me change the security settings to what's recommended?  I will have to call them back. Another four hour wait for them to call me back. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I have no idea what you are talking about or where to go to do what you are suggesting.  

Highlighted
New Poster

No help.  Just took me to web pages that I have already reviewed that did not fix my problem.

Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for helping me spend another couple hours chasing "solutions" that don't work.  I just got an offer from T-mobile for internet service. Checking on that now.  How many thousands of people are worried about the "weak security" and its possible implications and will be spending hours trying to resolve the issue. And as usual, Apple doesn't care, xfinity doesn't care. Monopolies don't have to.  Just like the latest IOS update canceled access to all of my 365 accounts in apple email.  Hours watching pinwheels and "progress bars" and more hours trying to fix problems that cannot me.  I know this is revolutionary but how about this from xfinity:  "We are aware that many are having a problem with "weak security" showing up on your iPhones. Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to update your router settings to WPA2 AES (or whatever).....". 

Highlighted
New Poster

Well, it looks like I'm not the only one who has spent the day trying to fix a problem that cannot be fixed.  Still in my robe.......

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What exactly is your problem with the ios mail app? I have Office 365 on my Macbook Pro and and my iphone and have no problems sending or receiving documents or spreadsheets. The office apps are iphone are an abridged version.  Did you reach out to Micorosoft to see what could be done? 

Linda
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same issue. Is it worth it to call comcast and ask for a new modem? Or should I purchase my own modem?
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you.  Using the XFi app and following your directions to change to WPA2 fixed the problem.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes mine is doing it too like my WiFi is no good on my phone
Highlighted
Administrator

All,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please follow the below steps to resolve the message that’s been appearing since you updated to iOS 14.

On the xFi Website

• From the landing page, select View Network Devices
  • Select the See Network
  • Select Edit WiFi in the upper-right corner to launch a pop-up message that will allow you to change the security mode
  • Select WPA2
  • Select Apply Changes

On the Xfinity App

• From the home page, select Connect
  • Select See Network
  • Select the Pencil icon in the upper-right corner
  • In the Security dropdown, select WPA2
  • Select Apply Changes

Note: Once you have completed these steps, you may need to restart your Xfinity Gateway to have these changes take effect. You can restart your Gateway by removing the power cord from the wall outlet for two minutes or clicking Restart Gateway in the Xfinity app.

Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue after taking these steps or if you have any additional questions.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Nothing in the official solution works. The links you refer to do not appear either on the web page or on the app. There is no way to get to the modem editing tools you speak of.

Highlighted
New Poster

To clarify:

On the xFi Website

• From the landing page, select View Network Devices <<< There is no such link!
  •  

On the Xfinity App

• From the home page, select Connect <------ NO SUCH LINK ON THE APP!
  •  
Highlighted
New Poster

Finally an answer that makes sense to me! Please check back if there’s any progress in getting it changed or updated.
Highlighted
New Poster

There is the “connect” button at the bottom of the app, but making any changes to the WiFi settings disables the “Apply Changes” button.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

After you hit connect, look at the top of your phone screen. Your network names will be there. Tap on see network. Also what modem do you have?
Linda
Highlighted
New Poster

I see the networks just fine... just can’t make changes. Gateway DPC3939
Highlighted
New Poster

When you click the pencil and change it WPA2 it greys out the apply changes
Highlighted
New Poster

Use the 10.0.0.1 web address. Worked for me
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Comcast sent me a private email and fixed this issue for me. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes I have the same issue on my iPhone se 2020.Not sure what to do about it.
Highlighted
New Poster

I don't know about the op but I'm not using the hotspot and it's still happening.