Community Forum

End-of-service announcement for NortonLifeLock subscription offered by Comcast

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Norton being cancelled as of 1/1/21

AGREE

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Norton is going. Should I now pay for anti-virus software or depend on xFi Advanced Security?

You are correct.  Their xFi security is not a full replacement for Norton - it is more of a complementary safety net.  So you will lose protection when Norton is no longer provided.  It decreases the value of their service (it was one of the reasons I have stuck with Comcast so long, the value of having Norton provided).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Unable to get an answer by phone

I got the email tody that Norton antivirus would expire Jan 1 but could be extended if you pay for it. O rthere is an alternative of updating to a "gateway" that includes anti virus protection. I called Comcast to ask about this and the woman i spoke to had such a strong asian accent i could not understand her.  I'm not sure what to do. maybe wait til tomorrow and try calling again to find someone that speaks english.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Norton is going. Should I now pay for anti-virus software or depend on xFi Advanced Security?

@Santa_Rosa_John -- Per your response "Comcast has notified us that  Norton Security Online will no longer be available through Xfinity as of January 1, 2021.  They say that Advanced Security is already included with my service at no extra charge."

This is my recommendation...stick with Norton Online Security

"Advanced Security" provided by Xfinity is a firewall service already integrated into the router "but never utilized" as it usually blocks many services required by end users. I would recommend sticking with Norton Online Security (no longer provided FREE by Xfinity after Dec 31st, 2020). As others have stated, the Advanced Security ONLY works when you are at your home behind your home router. If your computer is a laptop or mobile, you will need something installed that provides security when you leave your home. Again, as others have stated...you do have some protection with Windows Defender if you are running Windows 8 or 10, but in my experience is NOT as good as Norton Security.

I've always recommended to my customers to utilize Comcast in the past but am ready to change my mind. The Norton Security Suite provided by Xfinity in the past was a GREAT service whose costs were included in the monthly Comcast fee. If Comcast/Xfinity is NOT going to reduce their monthly fee after eliminating an existing FREE service that benefit is no longer cost effective.

VERY POOR DESCISION by Comcast !!!!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We all should not allow cheap Comcast to get away with their horrible and hurtful actions.

We should all call and ask cheap Comcast this very important question:

What monthly discounts are we going to get because you took Norton away from us?

Remember, and this is very important, we all paid Comcast for using Norton in our monthly Internet fees.

So.....DEMAND A DISCOUNT FROM CHEAP COMCAST.

Highlighted
New Poster

Norton online protection package prvided by Comcast by the wayside.............very sad

I have trusted Norton long before Comcast offered it as part of the package. I was elated that they made it part of the package. It made my decision to stay with Comcast services easier. Now it is one more stone from the wall that has been pulled out, weakening the whole package. xFi advanced security is NOT the total package that is the Norton that we have depended on for years with and before it was provided by  Comcast. Now I have an added expense to keep Norton where I want it, in a time when money has been stretched during this year of uncertainty. Please Comcast, reconsider your decision to pull Norton, or at least explain why you are doing it? It cannot be that  you think that it is no better than xFi advanced security, because it is. Norton covers my devices no matter where I am logging in and on. Advanced security cannot do that among other things.........................

Highlighted
Contributor

>I wonder how do Comcast ownership and executives sleep at nights knowing all the terrible things that they do to us, their poor and suffering customers.

Trust me, they have no problems with sleep.  They love the fact that higher profits would result in a big bonus. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Antivirus after 1/1 21?

They did sent out an email which pretty much says that they want you to rent their equipment if you want to continue with free internet security.  "...Norton Security Online will no longer be available through Xfinity as of January 1, 2021. We’re dedicated to keeping your connection safe, secure, and private. That’s why we’ve ensured you have options to stay protected: You can add xFi Advanced Security to your Internet service or choose a new Norton plan. You can add xFi Advanced Security to your Internet service or choose a new Norton plan."

Notice the contradicting statements in this paragraph: dedicated to keeping your connection safe, secure and private / Norton Security Online will no longer be available. To me this seems like pure greed; at a time when there are more people using their services at home due to the pandemic, this would be the perfect time to continue appreciating customers by continuing to offer this free service. No loyalty.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: No more Norton? Or Antivirus?

Check out Ziply.  They took over Frontier who took over Verizon.  After my last couple of days of renegotiating the bill, Comast deactivating one of the TV adapters aka small cable box even though I was very clear on what I wanted.  I spent approx 3 hours over 3 days.  I am pretty serious about this.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Norton Antivirus Canceling 2021

I just signed a long term (2year) contract with Comcast and yesterday I find out you no longer support Norton starting in 2021. When I agreed to the contract it included Norton antivirus so now you are breaking the contract. In addition if I want the same protection I now have to rent a modem from you at an additional $14 / month. I find this is a scam and so want to cancel my contract and find alternatives.
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes but you now require an additional $14 / month. You are scamming your clients!!
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Norton Antivirus Canceling 2021

You have 30 days to cancel. And read your fine print, they can make changes anytime

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

@ngs4509

If you want to know what Advanced Security is doing, download the XFi app for your phone. Info as to what is being blocked, on what devices and the severity of the intrusion is explained on the app. It will notify you of anything requiring your attention and provide rudimentary steps on what to do. I’m not sure why they don’t point you to the app directly from the desktop, but then again, this company has never made sense.

Saying that this will cover the bases of the resident antivirus and firewall protection Norton provided is just ridiculous and completely undermines their credibility as a company. I intend to write them a nasty letter and do hope many do the same or organize a petition. I’m not sure they’ve ever listened to customers, but I’m sure there has to be some recourse for leaving consumers at such high risk during a pandemic.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

YES, I AGREE WITH ALL THE DISAPPOINTED AND IRATE COMCAST CUSTOMERS. WHY CAN'T COMCAST REPLACE THE NORTON SUITE WITH THE NEW NORTON 360, OR AN EQUIVALENT ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM THAT WILL NOT LEAVE ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS VULNERABLE TO A SLEW OF ATTACKS BY HACKERS THAT OBVIOUSLY WILL BE AWARE OF COMCAST'S DECISION TO DROP NORTON. THIS WILL LIKELY MAKE YOUR CUSTOMERS SUFFER VERY MUCH AND POSSIBLY CREATE AN LARGE NUMBER OF DISGRUNTLED CUSTOMERS, ALONG WITH MANY WHO WILL SERIOUSLY THINK OF HOLDING COMCAST LIABLE FOR DAMAGES. IT  SEEMS LIKE COMCAST DIDN'T THINK THIS THROUGH BEFORE MAKING SUCH A FOOLHEARTY MOVE.

IT WILL NOT ONLY ANGER CUSTOMER'S BUT WILL INCREASE THE PROBABILITY OF ATTACKS ON COMCAST'S ENTIRE SYSTEM AND ITS OPERATION. ONCE THE SYSTEM IS BREACHED BY POORLY PROTECTED USERS, THE ENTIRE SYSTEM BECOMES MORE VULNERABLE TO COMCAST. 

THAI WAS A VERY POOR DECISION, AND WILL DEFINITELY INJURE COMCAST'S REPUTATION, AS WELL AS ITS LOYAL CUSTOMERS. WILL DEFINITELY MEAN A DROP IN BUSINESS.

SHAME ON YOU COMCAST.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Comcast takes away Norton and,  still says I need to run anit virus to resolve threats!!

Anyone out there - any suggestions for a replacement for Comcast??

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Norton cancellation? UNACCEPTABLE!

I hope someone will start a class action suite, if Xfinity doesn’t reconsider this decision. Not only do they take virus protection away from their customers, while online security breaches are at an all time high, they also try to force you to rent their X1 router to get at least basic protection for your in-home network!! I will certainly be on the lookout for a new provider in my area. This is just another bad Xfinity decision borne out of insatiable greed.!!!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Please let me know any alternate providers you come up with. Thanks.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

You can't sue them for removing a free perk. Nothing in their contract with you says you are entitled to an AV solution provided by them. It has always just been something additional they offered as a perk.

So outside of leaving comcast in favor of a competitor (if you aren't one of many stuck in an area they have a monopoly) there isn't a ton of options.

Now if you go back a page I did list some alternative solutions one that is free.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Email Just Received About Norton Cancellation

Agreed.  Been with Comcast forever.  I guess I'll look at Verizon starting 1/1/2021.

Highlighted
New Poster

NO Antivirus for you :0

My question is this..... why are there only 130 people commenting here? Norton security is very good!  There should be 1.7million people on here SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS loud and clear NOT to take it away! I always thought it was so cool that Comcast offered it. Now during a pandemic, they want to cut our computers HEALTH PLAN!!!!!!! Thanks a LOT, Comcast.

Highlighted
Contributor

The problem with lots of areas is that because of franchise agreements, there is really not a lot of choice, especially if one wants very fast Internet connection.  In a number of places, AT&T and Verizon (or others) may be available, but few of them would have an optical fiber network.  Some may offer some versions of DSL which are substantially slower than what Comcast provides. 

For some, Comcast Business may be a strong consideration.  This is not xFinity and it has different security provisions, but one may be required to rend the modem from them.   In any case, where there is an optical fiber network, it would be the best choice provided that the fiber is also running from node to the house (otherwise, it is not as good).

At the end, I consider this move by Comcast as raising your Internet pricing by about $8.00 per month.  If one can get 0.5 - 1.0 Gbs speeds anywhere else at a lower price, well, just do this.  if not, the choices are very limited.  One can use free internet security choices (Microsoft Defender, AVast antivirus/firewall and others) or one can shell out the additional money for the Norton Internet Security Suite.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Email Just Received About Norton Cancellation

I have 2 desktop PCs connected via ethernet and they both show up in the dashboard. They are older computers and I never did have WiFi on these systems. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Norton security essentials w/lifelock

Iam shocked that soon my pc wont have the full protection by 1/2021. Ive come to rely on norton. Despite it being a resource hogger. Now i have to buy software or find a paid giveaway program (giveawayoftheday and sharewareonsale) are good alternatives. Security online is number one concern. And i cant rely on defender to protect me. R.I.P. norton

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: why are you removing antivirus

What do you expect from a company that's bottom of the barrel in customer service and satisfaction? If they could grab your last penny, they would.

Highlighted
New Poster

<Edited>

I received recently an email from xfinity/comast about stop supporting Nortons security services on Jan 1, 2021.  I dont have XFI GATEWAY just my own modem.  I joined comcast for the comcast Security service which i enjoy very much.  Discontinueing Nortons is part of my service plan.  If you stop Nortons on January 1, 2021  that will void the agreement plan that I agreed to.  Mines agreement ends on June 1, 2021 (billing agreement).

Highlighted
New Poster

Norton Security

Do I now need to buy an anti virus program since Comcast is dicontinuing Norton Security as of 1/1/2021?

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Norton Security

@pannaman102 wrote:

Do I now need to buy an anti virus program since Comcast is dicontinuing Norton Security as of 1/1/2021?

I believe your current install of Norton should continue to work, you just won't be getting new updates.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Norton Security

jav6joev - That was the old "user friendly" Norton. From another thread:

Effects of Expiration
Some anti-virus programs differentiate your subscription from the software itself -- even after expiration, you can continue using the program with old virus definitions. Norton, however, disables the entire program when your subscription runs out. You can't run scans or enable background protection in Norton without a current subscription. This prevents users from mistakenly believing their product will continue to work effectively without new definitions, but it leaves your computers vulnerable until you fix the problem.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

NORTONS SECURITY VAULT

IF NORTONS IS BEING REPLACED WITH XFI WHAT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE WHO USES THE NORTONS VAULT NOW FOR SECURITY OF ALL THEIR PASS WORDS AND INFO.DO WE SIMPLY LOSE THE INFO OR DOES THE XFI OFFER SOMETHING SIMILAR THAT THE INFO CAN BE TRANSFERED INTO.MANY ACCOUNTS AND PASSWORDS WILL BE LOSSED IF IT ENDS.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Xfinity, why do you keep taking away features I need/use?

In only a few months you took away voice text messaging, which for us landline only Xfinity Triple Play customers was devastating, and now you're taking away Norton. I have spent time integrating with Norton. Even my passwords are stored there.

Why are you doing this to us??!!

Highlighted
New Poster

Notsohappydude is correct.

Notsohappydude is correct. Should be about 2 millions customers complaining about this money grab by comcast/xfinity.  A not happy customer. What a disappiontment/surprise.

Highlighted
New Poster

This is a big issue for me and many others. You can find a number of forums that have people venting on this cancellation and how bad an idea it is for Comcast. Comcast seems to lock those forums after a few days so I can't post there. My guess is this is an attempt to limit the number of people complaining publically. I for one will be looking to post on other sites and vent my furstration about Comcast removing what many will see as a critical service. See you all on facebook or twitter. Maybe if enough people get the word out we can get the ear of someone with influiance at Comcast and get them to either provide Norton again or provide an alternative services in Norton's place that is comperable.

I am sure that Comcast's shareholders will not be happy with managment shooting themselves in the foot with decisions like this. I for one am considering looking at alterantives to replace Comcast after this decision.

To think that all Comcast had to do if they wanted to move away from Norton was make sure they had an alternative service available if they couldn't make a deal with Norton on costs or service. No excuse for such bad decision making.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi there. We do appreciate your input and can definitely pass along your feedback. If you need any direct assistance from us, please don't hesitate to let us know. We hope you'll reconsider discontinuing your service through us.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

End Of Norton Security Questions

I received an email saying the existing Norton Security Suite is going away effective 1/1/2021.  Why is this being done?  Will the exiting xfinity Xfi security protect my devices?  Norton does so much more such as scanning my device(s) for viruses, controling startup programs, disk cleanup and disk optimization and much more  Will any Xfinity options be able to do this? We are paying so much for Xfinity services and to be left high and dry after having Norton protection included for over 10 years, with no instructions or information on what to do going forward, is terrible customer service for your (currently) loyal subscribers.  Please update us with information on exactly what the Xfinity "advanced" security will do, and what we should do (and how to do it) going forward to provide the same level of protection for our devices.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Norton Anti-virus software

Anyone that presently has the software should be grandfathered.

Highlighted

Re: End Of Norton Security Questions

@B-barry wrote:

I received an email saying the existing Norton Security Suite is going away effective 1/1/2021.  Correct   Why is this being done? It appears the agreement between Xfinity and Norton has been terminated - perhaps because Norton has changed owners a few times in the past year or so.  Will the exiting xfinity Xfi security protect my devices? No, there will be no virus protection. Norton does so much more such as scanning my device(s) for viruses, controling startup programs, disk cleanup and disk optimization and much more  Will any Xfinity options be able to do this?  The short answer is no! We are paying so much for Xfinity services and to be left high and dry after having Norton protection included for over 10 years, with no instructions or information on what to do going forward, is terrible customer service for your (currently) loyal subscribers.  Please update us with information on exactly what the Xfinity "advanced" security will do, and what we should do (and how to do it) going forward to provide the same level of protection for our devices.

Here are a few informational posts regarding the continued use of the retail Norton:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/Removal-of-Norton-Security-Onlin...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/End-of-service-announcement-for-...

Info in this post may also answer some of your questions:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet-Security/Xfinity-Advanced-Security-amp-No...

Please post back in this thread with any addtional questions you may have.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

So, based on your answer, what *exactly* will this Xfinity 'advanced security' do for me?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: XFI security replacing Norton

This is a very good question which my presumption is "Yes" so I would be very surprised if the answer was different.

I'd also like to add a list of associated questions that I'd like Comcast to address with yours above:

1.  What does Comocast offer to replace the ability we currently have using Norton to protect our devices (desktop systems, laptops, tablets, mobile devices)  from bad websites, viruses on individual files (which we now can scan with Norton), etc, while we are away from our home XFI gateway?

2. How much of the Comcast savings gained by dropping Norton be passed on to the consumers?

These are all serious questions that deserve answers.

Highlighted

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-What-is-Xfinity-xFi-Advanced-Security-and-how-does/t...

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted

@glenn-ho wrote:

XFI dashboard does not show anything connected by ethernet. Does the new security also protect computers connected by ethernet?

No - advanced security only protects devices connected to your home network (wi-fi).

More info here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-What-is-Xfinity-xFi-Advanced-Security-and-how-does/t...

Highlighted

@pcsilvia wrote:

This is a very good question which my presumption is "Yes" so I would be very surprised if the answer was different.

I'd also like to add a list of associated questions that I'd like Comcast to address with yours above:

1.  What does Comocast offer to replace the ability we currently have using Norton to protect our devices (desktop systems, laptops, tablets, mobile devices)  from bad websites, viruses on individual files (which we now can scan with Norton), etc, while we are away from our home XFI gateway?

Not a Comcast offering, but a Norton offer for Comcast users who have lost the Comcast/Norton Security Online:

Norton 6-month trial exclusively for Xfinity customers

You can also choose to continue your protection through Norton. Norton has two exclusive offers for Xfinity customers using Norton Online Security. These two plans give you comprehensive device security, including antivirus, password manager, and more. Plus, you’ll get a 6-month free trial.

When you sign up, your free trial will begin right away.

2. How much of the Comcast savings gained by dropping Norton be passed on to the consumers?

IMHO you will not see any of the savings passed on.

These are all serious questions that deserve answers.

Highlighted
Contributor

I thought so. WOW no protection offered for hard wired internet. Thank you Comcast. So your idea of giving us better protection is a ploy to really take something away and give us nothing. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

To " USAF_E-8_RET " - Thanks for your response.  However, I am glad you are "not a Comcast Employee" because neither response addresses the questions acceptably.  For one, the Norton offering you detail (which I knew about) essentially says that Comcast is removing protection and you need to go pay for it if you still want it.  Totally unacceptable. Why doesn't Comcast want to continue to protect people's devices that are connected to their servers?

Also, removing capability without some form of compensation is unacceptable (it doesn't have to be monetary).  What rationale could Comcast have to disassociate its customers?  Are they actually trying to get people to cancel their service and go elsewhere?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have a rented Comcast wifi gateway. Today, advanced security blocked access to a "dangerous" website. I still have Norton Security, and it missed that threat. Wifi advanced security along with Windows Defender should, hopefully, provide needed protection of the devices on my wifi network. I will miss Norton's password manager. I unintalled Norton from my laptop and updated Windows Defender. I ran a full scan, and there were no threats detected.

Highlighted
Contributor

Hope you understand that none of your devces will have any protection when connected to internet anywhere else other than your wifi. That includes using a hard wired connection on your rented wifi.

Highlighted
Contributor

@VitaminE wrote:

I have a rented Comcast wifi gateway. Today, advanced security blocked access to a "dangerous" website. I still have Norton Security, and it missed that threat. Wifi advanced security along with Windows Defender should, hopefully, provide needed protection of the devices on my wifi network. I will miss Norton's password manager. I unintalled Norton from my laptop and updated Windows Defender. I ran a full scan, and there were no threats detected.

Since xFi blocked the "dangerous" website, you can't tell whether Norton would have caught it. I disabled xFi because it was blocking access to some perfectly safe websites.

Highlighted
Contributor

@glenn-ho wrote:

Hope you understand that none of your devces will have any protection when connected to internet anywhere else other than your wifi. That includes using a hard wired connection on your rented wifi.

xFi definitely protects both WiFi and ethernet (hard wired) connections. However, it seems to do nothing to protect your PC from anything other than website access (for example, most exploits come via email).

Highlighted
Contributor

(deleted)

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Norton Anti-virus software

Come on Xfinity why don't you grandfather your existing customers that have been using Nortons. Keep taking away things and you will soon lose customers.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: End-of-service announcement for NortonLifeLock subscription offered by Comcast

Comcast...we need security you are not offering anti-virus. STOP the LIE...So we are in a Pandemic and this management decides to  skrew the people, lets begin 2021 even worse than 2020! Comcast this is horrible, stupid, undermines what makes a good company!  I hope the hackers take advantage of your mistake and  hack  your computers . Maybe when you pay billions and billions and have class action lawsuit for breaking your contracts with your customers you will wake up. This company management have no care for their loyal customers... really makes me ill. I so wish we had an alternative. I would jump at it in a second!