Community Forum

End-of-service announcement for NortonLifeLock subscription offered by Comcast

Highlighted

End-of-service announcement for NortonLifeLock subscription offered by Comcast

"As of January 1, 2021 NortonLifeLock and Comcast have terminated their partnership in relation to Norton Security Online and Norton Security Suite. An email communication has been sent out by Comcast to all the Comcast customers explaining this change. As a result, your current NortonLifeLock subscription that is provided by Comcast will be canceled effective December 31, 2020.

How can I continue using my NortonLifeLock subscription?

You can continue your NortonLifeLock subscription after your current Comcast subscription ends by enrolling in a NortonLifeLock plan. Once you receive a confirmation that your account has been canceled, please visit http://norton.com/xfinity6 to enroll.

Do I need to cancel my existing NortonLifeLock subscription?

Comcast should cancel your subscription. If your subscription is not canceled, please contact Comcast at 1-800-XFINITY.

If you have any issues with your existing Comcast account, contact Comcast."

Some addtional info I have located:

Effects of Expiration
Some anti-virus programs differentiate your subscription from the software itself -- even after expiration, you can continue using the program with old virus definitions. Norton, however, disables the entire program when your subscription runs out. You can't run scans or enable background protection in Norton without a current subscription. This prevents users from mistakenly believing their product will continue to work effectively without new definitions, but it leaves your computers vulnerable until you fix the problem.

I know not much more assistance than what we have already received from Comcast - but Norton did respond to my question to their forum admins:

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/end-service-announcement-nortonli...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Norton being cancelled as of 1/1/21

I just received an email saying Norton will no longer be offered free with our Xfinity service as of 1/1/21. I've been very happy with them since it includes a VPN option and I'm assuming Advanced Security does not. Anyone know why will it no longer be offered?

Highlighted
New Poster

Antivirus after 1/1 21?

It appears that without notifying me, Norton Antivirus is being discontinued as of 12/31/20.  Does this mean that XFinity/Comcast will no longer provide an Antivirus program?  

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Norton being cancelled as of 1/1/21

They love driving customers away, of course our cost will stay the same or increase while they pad their pockets. Paying too much for the provided connection speed already, dropped cable altogether a year ago and haven't missed it at all. Verizon will be in our area soon and I will jump in a heartbeat! 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No more Norton? Or Antivirus?

I have a major issue with this. The advanced security on XFi cannot protect outside of your home network. So let's say you take your device to a job, or somewhere else. Exactly how is that being protected by the XFi advanced security? It isn't. Same thing with your mobile devices and you're in a WiFi location, like a store.

You should rethink this decision. I pay you enough between mobile, tv, landline, and internet, and even at that, folks with newer packages are getting more speed for the same price I am paying.

Put a different antivirus in place. Do something. Advanced security only works at home.... And that isn't even something that I would pay for because I find it annoying and useless.
Highlighted
New Poster

You will still need to purchase an antivirus program if you were to use the xFi. xFi will block malware and malicious sites, but not sure it will prevent viruses.

Comcast has had a version of Norton for 20 years now. Really dumb to remove it.
This is from the Xfinity website:

redwing500_0-1604004194409.png

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: No more Norton? Or Antivirus?

Stupid decision by Comcast, really takes away a lot of the value of the service versus competitors. At least make their in-house antivirus solution available at no cost to all, not just on their gateway.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Antivirus after 1/1 21?

Just arbitrarily take away a key benefit from your customers with no explanation, no functionally equivalent replacement. Huge security risk for a huge number of customers who are not tech savvy who will have no security on their devices creating a risk not only for them but for all users of the internet.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

"At least make their in-house antivirus solution available at no cost to all, not just on their gateway."

Problem is that I had my grandson's PC over here and it had a tester virus on it. It NEVER picked it up. (There's a tester virus out there, old school called EICAR. It tests to make sure you have a fully functional antivirus.) I had to download a bloatware antivirus program to detect it.

Threats on a PC and the advanced security doesn't work. Ridiculous!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

why are you removing antivirus

what kind of company would take away security from their customers you just trying to force people to rent your modem  you don't need to rent a modem it's a waste of money

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Norton cancellation? UNACCEPTABLE!

First of all, xFi Advanced Security is NOT an antivirus or antimalware solution so it does NOT provide adequate protection for PCs, phones & tablets. Second, I had to disable xFi Advanced Security because it blocked LEGITIMATE video sites as alleged malware sources with NO ability to whitelist them. Please reconsider!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Norton cancellation? UNACCEPTABLE!

I agree completely and urge Xfinity to reconsider as well.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

It IS 'unacceptable" but it WILL happen.  It's a corporate decision.  

I've NEVER had a problem with Norton.  This is so disappointing.  

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Email Just Received About Norton Cancellation

Like most of you, I just received an email from Comcast which included the following sentence:

And while we’re writing to let you know that Norton Security Online will no longer be available through Xfinity as of January 1, 2021, we’re happy to tell you that as an Xfinity xFi customer, Advanced Security is already included with your service at no extra charge.

Trust me, ANYTIME a huge corporation tells you "We're happy to tell you -----" it means you are about to be messed with.  (The automatic censor would not let me use ANY of the words I wanted to use to complete my last sentence.)

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Man, what next? I have to grit my teeth every time I pay thier obscene bills, now they take away Norton?

Now I have something that says my "Advanced Security" is on.  That's IT. I guess I'm supposed to be comforted by that? At least I knew with Norton that my updates were installed. It also gave me other information. Now? I get "On".

I'm not happy. And if my situation was different, I'd dump Comcast in a heartbeat. They aren't making ENOUGH money? They need to remove Norton?

I guess now I have to trust that it's installed and "working". This is ridiculous. (and ANGER inducing)

Does this mean all updates are automatically installed? Or do we install them manually like Norton? (I check for updates daily) More information would be nice. Just seeing "On" doesn't get it for me.  GRRR!!!!!

Highlighted
Contributor

I totally agree.  Comcast should rethink this or offer an alternative.  This is a big thing.

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast is putting the malware protection inside the xFi cable modem, running as an application on the hardware inside the box.  This may be acceptable while I am home and on my Comcast network, but I believe that my laptop would be unprotected if I went to a library or other wifi hotspot that was not a Comcast network with a xFi modem running the security app.

Well, I guess this is great news for the anti-virus companies.  Time to buy stock in Symantec and McAfee.

Yay!  More recurring yearly AV fees!

Thanks alot Comcast.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I agree. This will probably save Comcast some money, while they constantly raise their rates !
Highlighted
Contributor

XFI security replacing Norton

XFI dashboard does not show anything connected by ethernet. Does the new security also protect computers connected by ethernet?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Email Just Received About Norton Cancellation

you know what if I had better options I would leave Comcast for another service 😑

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity ending Norton in 2012

I use my xfinity modem in bridge mode and have my own router. Does it still protect against malware in bridge mode? Will there be any discounts if I get my own modem seeing I will not be using xfinity security?
Highlighted
Contributor

I just checked and the dashboard only shows what is connected thru WIFI not ethernet. Just curious they keep mentioning WIFI but never mention if ethernet connections are protected?

Highlighted
New Poster

If you use their gateway in bridge mode so you can use your own router, you don’t get their Xfi security at all. So, cancelling Norton is like raising my monthly price. Since the Xfi gateway has no USB ports (and they never supported the ports on the old gateways) you can’t add USB hard drives or printers. That’s why I have my own router.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I just wanted to chime in on this as comcasts email is very misleading.

Security is a layered approach. So it isn't accurate to say that by taking away client based security (Firewall, AV, IDS/IPS, etc...) that their xfi security (which is only an inline ids/ips) will offer the same coverage. Mind you right now we are enjoying both as it should be, but the inline sensor approach has a few big issues.

First their solution can not see what is inside encrypted data. It can't do deep packet level inspection. All it can do is look for known bad domains which is probably based on categorization from another vendor. So in most cases it won't stop me from downloading a virus and infecting my machine... it probably wouldn't even know my machine was infected unless it was beaconing home to a known bad IP.

Second as I started on above... it does nothing to protect against malware. It might block some attempts that are being served up from known malicious sources/botnets, but there are plenty of other ways to get infected that this will not block.

Now we do have defender to fall back on if you are on a windows 10 machine. Now defender isn't as full featured as norton, but it does provide a decent level of protection. You do miss out on the baked in network tools that norton offers though and it is more effective against ransomware.

The hard truth though is this. Comcast is looking to cut costs by eliminating something they were giving for free. They are telling you that security isn't going to suffer, but the truth is you will have less security than you did. The xfi security was already a thing and it was good for giving general network protection which would also cover your wireless and IOT devices. So when they removed a host based security product you can't say security stayed the same. In my experience their own Xfi security product is worse than many other free security products offered in mid-high range consume grade routers now. My current asus router has all of the same features, but with better implementation via Trend.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am very digusted, disappointed and very upset with cheap and horrible Comcast.

Few months ago I renewd my TV cable package for a 2 year term. Since then they have removed several of my favorite channels, like TCM and Starz.

I now dislike cheap and horrible Comcast immensly and I truly believe that they are masters at taking advantage of their customers.

It will be a happy and jouyous day for me when I hear that cheap and horrible Comcast has closed shop and gone bankrupt. I know it is just a dream but I now do abhor evil and cheap Comcast very much.

A very big shame on this despicable cheap company.

I bet CEO Brian Roberts is getting richer by the day.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I wish we poor Comcast customers would band together and all of us just cancel our Comcast service and tell this evil and cheap company to go to where the sun never shines.

If you get the feeling that I dislike Comcast ....you would be abolutely right.

I detest and abhor evil and cheap Comcast. They are masters in how to take adntage of their poor customers.

A very big shame on CHEAP COMCAST.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Is Norton Security Online Being Discontinued January 1, 2021?

I got an email from "reply@emails.xfinity.com"  saying that Norton Security Online is being discontinued as of January 1, 2021.  If true, that means you will ONLY be protected while connected to  your WIFI !

When you travel with your cell phone, PC, MAC, Iphone, etc. you will no longer be protected!

How is that a benefit?

Please tell me this is not true...

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

What Comcast does not mention in the email is Xfinity Xfi advanced security does not provide anti-virus protection.  They say it's better than Norton, but it is not.  If you accidentally download a virus to your device, there is no way that gets detected by Xfinity.  This is blatant lying.  What if you use your laptop away from your Xfinity network.  Then absolutely no protection.  They have removed Norton Antivirus.  Period.  No more antivirus protection provided by Comcast.  They just slipped this notice in an email as if no one would notice.  It should be a huge announcement so customers will know.  Unbelievable.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity ending Norton in 2012

The discount would be not paying a rental fee on a Comcast gateway

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

What about Xfinity Mobile customers? The Xfinity xFi Advanced Security can't support Xfinity Mobile customers at all! Oh well, not sure what to do now. 

Highlighted
New Poster

one of the reasons I have not switched providers is the Norton deal .. Now I guess shopping for someother provider may be a good deal 

Highlighted
New Poster

Norton is going. Should I now pay for anti-virus software or depend on xFi Advanced Security?

I would really appreciate some guidance from those of you who know much more about internet security than I do.  Comcast has notified us that  Norton Security Online will no longer be available through Xfinity as of January 1, 2021.  They say that Advanced Security is already included with my service at no extra charge.

What I need to understand is if Advanced Security effectively takes the place of Norton Security Online, or if I will be more vulnerable to security problems as a result of losing Norton coverage.  If the latter is the case, this seems like Comcast decreasing its service to me but NOT decreasing the monthly cost of my service.

H E L P .... I need to understand this better.  Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

John

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: why are you removing antivirus

Well finally a reason to switch to Uverse.   At least AT&T understands the importance of maintaining a secure network.   Good luck Comcast.   Penny wise and pound foolish.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Very disappointing! I already have a wireless gateway with so-called protection, but occasionally Norton would block access to a dangerous website. I also like the password manager via Norton. I wonder if we will have to uninstall Norton? And I share the concerns about the lack of virus scans. Way to go, Comcast!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Is Norton Security Online Being Discontinued January 1, 2021?

It's not a benefit, it appears that Comcast has simply decided not to continue a contract with Norton to save money. I am not 100% sure, but it looks like if you are not using one of Xfinity's Wi-Fi routers the new Advanced Security will not help you. I am also wondering how virus scanning will be done on individual computers. The way I see it many people will have to pay Norton for the protection they used to enjoy with a Xfinity internet plan from Comcast.

Highlighted
New Poster

New security replacung Norton

Will the new security protect PC's with a hard wired connection? Will my bill be reduced to reflect the loss of Norton, which I viewed as added value?  Do I have xFI? Will this cost me more? What protection will my device have when I travel away from home?  I've been with Comcast a long time. I hope this doesn't make me reconsider.

Thank you,

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Norton is going. Should I now pay for anti-virus software or depend on xFi Advanced Security?

The email makes it sound like xFi AS is a replacement for Norton and even better since it is a "more personalized security solution" but it doesn't say anything about antivirus. I went searching for answers and it appears antivirus is not included. All they are offering is protection at the gateway. And despite claiming to protect devices on the home network, whether or not protection includes ethernet connected devices is questionable. The protection does not include protection on the devices themselves and does not provide protection if you take your device outside of the home. They took away Norton and are trying to fool people into thinking they are giving customers a replacement. Most people are not technically inclined and will not understand that replacing Norton with this will leave them vulnerable. This is absolutely terrible for Comcast to mislead people like this.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Norton is going. Should I now pay for anti-virus software or depend on xFi Advanced Security?

I had this exact question.  I've had issues with xFi Advanced Security blocking my NAS servers (on my home network ... I use them as file servers, one internet facing (like a cloud), one not...my "secure" server).  I've also seen forums with xFi AS blocking legitimate websites.

And oh yeah ... NO ANTIVIRUS?

NOT HAPPY, COMCAST!

Highlighted
New Poster

And my home office is all ethernet connected so I'm not gobbling the home WiFi bandwidth.  I guess I'm schkrewed

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: why are you removing antivirus

No other choice in my town.  It's either Comcast/xFinity, or dialup, or dish, or use my cellphone as a hotspot.  We can't have Fios (some legislative issue in NJ).

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Microsoft Windows has Windows Defender built-in. It has virus, malware, and firewall.

Highlighted
Contributor

If you're using Windows 10, I believe turning off or removing Norton will turn on Windows Defender, the anitivirus included w/ Win 10. (Windows Defender might have a slightly different name now - and you can google how to turn it on or to confirm that it's on - Settings, Netowrk,Security, etc.)

HTH,

Mike

Highlighted
New Poster

From what I have read, Norton Security is far superior to Microsoft Defender. Here is one evaluation , but I would urge interested individuals to do their own research and use what they deem appropriate.

Highlighted
New Poster

What burns me up is that after going through all the hassle of dropping my old password manager and swinging everything over to Norton Password Manager on my computer and other divises, now all that time will be wasted and I'll have to switch over yet again to a new password manager across all my devices.

Highlighted
New Poster

It goes along with the rest of their miserable customer service...anything to squeeze a dollar or increase a fee...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Anyone that has WIndows 7 like myself cannot use the built-in security since Microsoft disconntinued extended support for this platform on January 14, 2020.  To further complicate matters, some PC manufacturers do NOT make DRIVERS for Windows 10 for the specific hardware you own.  So, the only choice is to buy this virus, spyware, rootware, etc elsewhere or use one of the free ware verstions out there.  Norton has been around since the DOS days and is very good at what it does.  Buying Comcast/Xfinity internet was for us due to the fact that they supplied Norton. I guess we will have to move to another vendor. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Here's a search on Windows defender vs Norton -- the tradeoff is, as always, cost vs effectiveness [in doing what you need]. https://www.vssmonitoring.com/windows-defender-vs-norton/

I'm shocked that Comcast forgot to admit that this isn't exactly a one-for-one replacement.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Forgot about that. I read somewhat recently, I believe it was pc magazine, that Windows  Security/Defender is actually pretty good now.  So that should put Comcast users like myself a little more at ease with free Norton going away. I went into pc settings. Under update & security. On the left you will see Windows Security. I had to turn on some settings. Guess they were turned off when Norton got installed.  And everything seems ok. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm planning on staying with Norton , and hope I can keep my current version of Norton ,and my password manager as is , not sure.