Community Forum

Did Norton just steal 100Mbps of my data speed?

Valued Contributor

Did Norton just steal 100Mbps of my data speed?

I'm in, or used to be in, the 600Mbps tier. And since getting the last free speed upgrade when I would use the Ookla speedtest module my speed registered around 640Mbps. This is on two computers that are hardwired to the modem. Then last night Norton opened a box on my computer #1 saying that their latest update required a reboot. After the reboot I tested the speed and I could never get it above 540Mbps and often lower than that. I tested at various times including the early morning time when no one else in the house was online and I couldn't get my 640 speed back. Computer 2 did not get a Norton update message and it still gets 640+ as usual. All of my Wifi devices still get their normal speeds. But computer 1 won't get above 540. Is there any way to fix this and get my old speed back?.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Did Norton just steal 100Mbps of my data speed?

Speedtest.net maynot be acurate when testing using browsers. (Chrome, Edge, IE)

If using WIN 10 , go to the App store and serch for Speedtest, you should see the Oookla Speedtest App. Download it, its free, and test again.

When using chrome, there is a Oookla extention you can add the speedtest.net 

Norton may have changed the way your browser reactes to websites.

The speedtest.net site has over 200 cookies.

Valued Contributor

Yes thanks. I'm not using a website speedtest. I have downloaded the Ookla module. Using that module for the last couple of years I have pretty accurate test results and my speed changed just after downloading the Norton update. And as I said my other hardwired computer  which didn't get the Norton update yet is still making over 600 Mbps. So the only difference is the Norton update.

Does anyone think if I delete the Norton cookies it will help resolve this issue? I don't see how cookies effect the speedtest. I assume it is some addition to the firewall that is causing the problem and I don't want to weaken the firewall but I do want my speed back. (even though I don't do anything that requires the 600+ speed).

Valued Contributor

I can't be the only person this has happened to. I guess I must be the only person who obsessively checks their internet speed every week???

Valued Contributor

So I don't know what happened last night but my problems with my download speeds have disappeared. Prior to the problem my download speeds  were about 640Mbps after the problem appeared I couldn't get a speed faster than 520 but as of this morning I am now getting a speed of 700+. I have tested this speed using the Ookla module against a number of servers and all of them came back at 700+. I have no clue what changed or why but I am now happy again.