Community Forum

Connection not secure?

Contributor

Connection not secure?

Recently, I've gotten emails from Comcast with the subject - Comcast Email Sending Limit Exceeded. I've repeatedly scanned my computer at home and work with a variety of anti virus tools, Norton 360 (from Comcast), Malware Bytes, Combofix and a few recommended on-line scanners. Machines appear to be clean. Also contacted Comcast Security Support a number of times, changing my passwords and associated hint questions repeatedly.

This morning I noticed in the Firefox browser, on the address line, next to the my.infinity.com address, the message - my.infinity.com, Connection is Not Secure.

Clicking on the more information button reveals the following:

Owner: This website does not supply ownership information.

Verified by: Not specified.

Technical details:

Connection not encrypted.

The website my.infinity.com does not support encryption for the page you are viewing.

Information sent over the Internet without encryption can be seen by other people while it is in transit.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if the webpage where I am logging into my email account is not secure and passwords can be seen while in transit, does this not explain why the my email account has been hijacked for spamming purposes?

Comcast security has looked at the account logs and told me there have been logins from ip addresses outside the US. They have also told me that I should take my computer to be professionally cleaned as there must be a deeply rooted virus.

Can any other Firefox user check their connection to my.infinity.com to see if they have gotten a similar message?

Thanks,

Mike

2016-04-05_10-24-22.jpg
Expert

Re: Connection not secure?

I can go directly to the webpage using Chrome or Firefox v45.0.1, and I'm not getting the security message when I check preferences.  I'm on a Mac, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Thanks. In Windows 7 Firefox v45.0.1, this message appears when you click on the information icon directly to the left of the address as shown in the image above.

I had some difficulty in attaching two images, so here's the second image - displayed by clicking the More Information button from above.

2016-04-05_10-24-41.jpg
Expert

OK I'm going to move this over to the Security forum to see if you can get some better traction there with this issue.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

Mikey_Boy wrote:

- snip -

This morning I noticed in the Firefox browser, on the address line, next to the my.infinity.com address, the message - my.infinity.com, Connection is Not Secure.

- snip -

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if the webpage where I am logging into my email account is not secure and passwords can be seen while in transit, does this not explain why the my email account has been hijacked for spamming purposes?

- snip -

http://my.xfinity.com   page it's self doesn't need to be secure, it's just the website landing page.

when you click the email link to sign in and goto email, a new page opens to input your user/pw info,

https://login.comcast.net/login (+adtl parameters)  which is a secure connection, and your user/pw info is sent via ssl connection to server.     as you continue on to the email web app pages the connection remains a secure web page connection.

if you leave the email pages returning to the main landing page, the server remembers you're logged in, apparently keeping track your browsing the site via other means, until or unless you navigate back to email or to the myAccount pages at which point the connection becomes a secure connection again.

it would be better once signed in, for all browsing at the site to remain secure, but they arn't deploying the web site that way.

Contributor

Belated thanks for your reply ... makes sense, though many sites are secure from the get go ... thanks

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I just tried to login with safari and got the message site not trusted certificate expired 9/17. https://10.0.0.1