Community Forum

Advanced Security for Internet

Highlighted
New Poster

Advanced Security for Internet

Now that Xfinity is supplying Advanced Security for the Internet do I need to continue with my Norton Security or any other type of anti-virus software?

Highlighted

Re: Advanced Security for Internet

@johnny10pin 

Absolutely need an anti-virus in addition to Advanced Security - especially if you use any of your devices outside your home.

The anti-virus that you use is your choice - so do some research before you decide which product you want.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity Advanced Security & Norton Internet Security Question

Since I have Xfinity Advanced Security enabled, should I uninstall Norton Internet Security?

Highlighted

Re: Xfinity Advanced Security & Norton Internet Security Question

@Blueclaw4 

Absolutley not!

Advanced Security does NOT provide anti-virus protection which you need,  especially if you use any of your devices outside your home.

You can leave Norton Security Online in place until Comcast cancels it or you decide on an anti-virus program and install it prior to Jan 1. 

The anti-virus that you use is your choice - so do some research before you decide which product you want.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

The problem with leaving Comcast Norton installed until Jan 1 is that Norton will become inactive. From what I can tell, the built-in Windows 10 antivirus will not reactivate unless the inactive Norton is uninstalled. I will be glad to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

After lots of reading and discussions with IT colleagues, I've decided to not pick up Norton as a personal subscription when/before Xfinity drops it, but rather: 1) on the one Windows machine in the house, do a complete removal of Norton and let the built-in Windows Security take over (it activates if no other anti-virus s/w is present and does not cost anything) and 2) on our Mac's I have also done a complete Norton removal, using a Norton-supplied removal took to ensure all items are removed, and replaced it with the Premium (paid, to get real-time protection) version of Malwarebytes, which is much less demanding of system resources and seems to work more smoothly with Mac's and yet still be rated highly.  That being said, there are a lot of other good anti-virus and anti-malware products out there, so I'd encourage all to research it for your own situation to find the best fit for you.  But I'd at least consider the two I mention above.  (Note: I am just another user, with no connection to any of the companies mentioned above).

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Advanced Security for Internet

And I assume this advance security won't protect the computers on the internal network,

for instance, my wife's laptops are carried out in the field, sometimes catches things,

but network support, claims it will block all internal threats if she plugs into the internal

network again. If its to protect my computers, it has to watch everything internally also,

so I would need to eliminate internal switches also right?